Wiki Posts
Search

US to Chennai or Bangalore

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

US to Chennai or Bangalore

Hi all,

I am looking for advice on how to get from the US to either Chennai or Bangalore. The catch is, I'm leaving in a couple of weeks, so I need to sort out the plane tickets right away. I'll stay for ~3 weeks.

I have ~50k AA miles, 133k UAL miles, 100k BA miles, and about 38k Amex points.

I'd like to use miles or points to purchase the ticket (or even better, an upgrade to get me out of economy), but it's not necessary.

I'm looking through Kayak and all the usual suspects. Amex is closed so I don't know what my options are there.

Any recommendations on routes or airlines, particularly where I could take advantage of my miles/points?

The options are bewildering ...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to mention, from the US, a west coast departure would be ideal. San Franciso would be perfect.

Last edited by maharashii; Jun 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
try redemption on UA / continental (LH codeshares), LH, or brussels airlines (jet airways codeshare) for MAA / BLR. Or see how far your ba miles get you.

Do note that fares will be expensive, you cant get around that if you try a paid fare, and I doubt if you'd find award buckets at this short a notice.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: US GP, UA Prem Exec, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,
I live in PHX and just went through this process in figuring out routings to Bangalore. West Coasters do have the option to go West instead of East as it is exactly equidistant. I tried to find an all east, round the world option but nobody seemed to want to book that way.

*A seems to have given up all their trans-cons to Lufthansa. UA, US, CO all seemed to route to LHT 747s to Frankfurt, FRA-BLR with a 12:15 AM arrival. Beware, my reading on LHT 747s is that coach is just about the worst of anyone (pitch, no IFE, etc), however that's how my ticket played out.

Another option is British Airways to Heathrow (LHR) to BLR.

For the western route, I believe you would do Cathay through HKG and SIN to BLR. It's a long-a$$ route though in flying time at 30+ hours. The perk is coming home you get to arrive prior to your departure "Superman Style" thanks to the International Dateline.

Can't give much opinion on Chennai.

On the upside, if you were doing a paid ticket, you would be earning 22k miles on one Round Trip.... nearly elite status with any carrier.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
You have 133K UA miles. That would get you a roundtrip to India if seats are available. Unfortunately UA uses Starnet blocking...so its hard to find those seats on partner airlines.
Sign up for an ANA account and find star alliance availability on their website (ana.co.jp). Then call UA and see if they give you the route.

Other option - you can do two one-way awards - one with AA, one with BA.
I am not sure if you have enough BA miles for a roundtrip.

Are you flying Business class or economy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.