Search

Personal Delhi Tour Guide?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Personal Delhi Tour Guide?

Hello Everyone!

I'm currently in Delhi right now, tagging along for one of my boyfriend's business trips. While he's at work today and tomorrow, I'd love to go see the sights in Delhi but am a bit concerned about doing it on my own.

Some background... This weekend, he and I spent a few hours in Delhi on our own and then did a tour of Agra with a tour guide. One of the things that made Agra much more enjoyable than our self-guided tour of Delhi was that we had a tour guide who knew the sights, made me feel safe, and discouraged locals from hassling us. This was markedly different than our day in Delhi where on more than one occasion, young men were obviously taking my picture, a family handed me their young kid to take a picture with me, etc. I've made a big effort to be culturally sensitive in terms of my dress on this trip so I don't think it was the clothes that I was wearing... This was all in the company of my boyfriend and I felt incredibly uncomfortable the entire time.

I really want to see more of Delhi but after the experience of our self-guided tour, I am not willing to do it on my own. What I'm looking for is a guide who will not only show me around the city, but more importantly, come into the various monuments with me so that I'm not there as a 25yr old woman on my own. I will pay for the guide's entrance fee to any monument we go see. Has anyone had any experience with a guide that they enjoyed and has contact information for? If so, I'd love some help with this!

Thanks so much!

Katy
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
There are a bunch of travel agencies in DEL that can help with that, although English-speaking guides are a bit harder to find (they can arrange it, though). If you can understand Hindi, you shouldn't have any problems, though. There are also lots of group tours.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just sent you a pm katy1579 with details of a travel agency i regularly use....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.