Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do in trivandrum (TRV)?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

what to do in trivandrum (TRV)?!

any thoughts on a 1/2 day in TRV? my wife and I are traveling through Trivandrum on our way back to SFO via DXB on EK from a week in the Maldives. staying at the Leela in Kovalam -- wondering what cool things can be done in 12 hours prior to the long flight home?

thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:10 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to our Travel->India forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by scottandtracy
any thoughts on a 1/2 day in TRV? my wife and I are traveling through Trivandrum on our way back to SFO via DXB on EK from a week in the Maldives. staying at the Leela in Kovalam -- wondering what cool things can be done in 12 hours prior to the long flight home?

thanks!
I presume both of you have indian visas / citizenship.
12 hours is not that long.
However, you can visit some of the beautiful temples. (temples generally are open 7AM to noon and re-open around 5PM till 8PM or so).
Kovalam beach itself is really good.

Some pictures of TRV in my trip report (see link in signature line).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
As I recall, there are some restrictions on entry of non-hindus in some temples, and even when they allow entry, a further subset of temples have "dress code" requirements (at least for men - only dhotis, no shirts). Of course, there is every possibility that I'm grossly wrong, but this knowledge is from many years back.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:29 pm
azj

I was recently on Kovalam beach and saw the Leela. If I were you I'd just relax at the hotel or on Kovalam beach.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
half a day is not enough....i would suggest getting a massage at the leela or just spending some time at the beach....

if you do want to go out then there are some nice temples you could go to....

but then again, there is not much you can do in half a day....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by aniruddh77
As I recall, there are some restrictions on entry of non-hindus in some temples, and even when they allow entry, a further subset of temples have "dress code" requirements (at least for men - only dhotis, no shirts). Of course, there is every possibility that I'm grossly wrong, but this knowledge is from many years back.
You are right. This religious restriction is still true for some temples in Kerala. Although, I cannot point out which temples do it.

THe dress code requirement is universal (pretty much) for all temples in Kerala. Men have to wear dhotis (no shirts / other tops). Women have to wear some Indian outfit. Of course, women keep their top on!!
No jeans/shorts, etc (for women).

The temple visits might be difficult for the OP unless they have these outfits or know someone who can lend them some.

In general, I am thinking the best advice here is to lay on the beach! And eat some wonderful food!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scottandtracy

thanks!
You'll find the various beaches in/near Kovalam are different than the Maldives, but less touristy (outside Kovalam itself).

Trivandrum itself is a rather sleepy town, PM me if you have specific interests and I'll see if I can help. You have three options as I see it, in no particular order:

1) The infinity pool at the Leela is a lovely way to relax and rest up. Then again, you probably will have done a lot of this in the Maldives.

2) Get a massage at the hotel, or get an ayurvedic massage in Trivandrum itself. (The concierge will be able to help you with something in town. Ask for something authentic and non-touristy. It is an amazing experience.)

3) Ask the concierge as soon as you arrive (or email in advance) to see if you have time to get to Kumarakom (or any backwater) for a boat trip. You may have to return straight back to the airport from this. Of the three options, this is the most adventurous and least like anything you have seen - anywhere.

Note: You will be told to check in 3 hours in advance for international flights. In TVM, you can comfortably do it in 1.5 hours. (My experience, flying in and out of there dozens of times internationally, your experience may vary.)

Checking in and security are a breeze. Unfortunately you'll miss the new top-notch international terminal opening by a few weeks.

Enjoy and do let us know what you did!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.