Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel for Touring Delhi?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Best Hotel for Touring Delhi?

Did a quick search and browse through the forum and didn't find what I was looking for. Most the hotel threads seem to focus on the quality of hotels for overnighting.

I'm headed to India for my first visit. We'll be heading off on a tour, but we do have two days at the beginning and the end of our trip that are in Delhi on our own. We'd like to find a nice, comfortable property (the SO doesn't like to rough it at all) that is also located in an area that is good for getting to a lot of the sights. With four days, I'd hope to see all the major sights.

Anyone have any thoughts on a quality property that would let us see all that Delhi has to offer?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:07 pm

Try http://tinyurl.com/yhdqo8u
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
if you are not looking at a big hotel chain then i would suggest checking this out....

http://www.shervanihotels.com/index.php

i have had friends & family members stay at the sunder nagar & nehru place properties & they were very happy with their stays....
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

I'd really like to avoid an international chain (Hyatt, Hilton, etc..) and go with an Indian hotel chain. I've heard good things about Leela/Taj et al and I'd like to experience it. I just wonder if the location and the price tags I see attached to them are worth it.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Most of the sites in Delhi are in Central or South Delhi. I can't think of any major site in North or East Delhi. If you dig deeper inot history, you will find sites like what's left of Kashmiri Gate, a building in Khyber Pass that, if I remember was an ammo depot and the Flagstaff Road, all sites of battles between British and Indian troops during the first struggle for independence, that started with a mutiny. There is also the St James Church in Kashmiri Gate. Even some Delhi wallahs might not know about their significance. But History of India is far more than history of British India. If you stay in South or Central Delhi, you will be able to visit almost all the major sites, historical as well as others.
The Khooni Darwaza, The Bloody Gate, in Central Delhi is where the British (William Hudson) stripped and murdered the three royal princes (two sons and one grand son of the last Mughal Emperor) after securing unconditional surrender from them and promising them safe passage from Humayun's Tomb, where they were in hiding, to the Red Fort. For Delhites, it's a minor site. More known are the Red Fort (old Delhi), the Qutub Minar, Tughlaqabad, Humayun's Tomb, Siri Fort (South Delhi), the Parliament, the Rashtrapati Bhacan, Mughal Gardens, the Old Fort, Firoz Shah Kotla (South and Central Delhi) and Budhha Garden (South Western Delhi)

Last edited by Yaatri; Apr 11, 2010 at 6:09 pm
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by EXP4ME
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

I'd really like to avoid an international chain (Hyatt, Hilton, etc..) and go with an Indian hotel chain. I've heard good things about Leela/Taj et al and I'd like to experience it. I just wonder if the location and the price tags I see attached to them are worth it.
The location of most Taj and ITC hotels are in good locations.. the most famous ones like Taj Palace , Taj Mahal , ITC Maurya , The Ashok are bang in the centre of delhi..you would already be aware though that Delhi is a very big city spread around a huge area and you would surely need to take a hired car if u plan to do the meximum sightseeing in 2 days, so location would not be so so important IMHO, yes u need it somewhere not too far from the centre, but then that too is a big enuf area with many many many choices..
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:24 am
Suspended

ITC Maurya - Indian Luxury

If you are looking for a hotel that reflects India and is world class at the same time ..then ITC Maurya is the perfect hotel based right in the heart of Delhi's Green Belt ! Its the preferred choice of residence by even the visiting heads of state or global business leaders.

And you wont have to go to far for great dining options. ITC Maurya houses some of the best restaurants in Asia. The famous "Bukhara" serves some of the best Indian food in the continent!

Hope this helps you in making up your mind!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by dreamcatcher.sk
If you are looking for a hotel that reflects India and is world class at the same time ..then ITC Maurya is the perfect hotel based right in the heart of Delhi's Green Belt ! Its the preferred choice of residence by even the visiting heads of state or global business leaders.
And you wont have to go to far for great dining options. ITC Maurya houses some of the best restaurants in Asia. The famous "Bukhara" serves some of the best Indian food in the continent!

Hope this helps you in making up your mind!
yeah..only difference is they dont need to pay for their stay and meals ..
but yes, this is the best.. ^
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Hodson, actually. William Stephen Raikes Hodson.

A quite interesting and unconventional type of character, that man. Unique even in a generation of other eccentric soldiers spread through most of the British Raj. Accusations of financial peculation, shooting down Bahadur Shah Zafar's sons etc coupled with extreme bravery and a heroic death.

Hodson was one of the founding members of the Corps of Guides - an old favorite of Kipling's (East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet, etc) - and the man who first introduced khaki uniforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William..._Raikes_Hodson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corps_o...(British_India)

Originally Posted by Yaatri
The Khooni Darwaza, The Bloody Gate, in Central Delhi is where the British (William Hudson) stripped and murdered the three royal princes (two sons and one grand son of the last Mughal Emperor) after securing unconditional surrender from them and promising them safe passage from Humayun's Tomb
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
and they have the most awesome lamb in their Indian restaurant !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.