Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need transit visa: DEL-FRA-IAH changing airlines at Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Do I need transit visa: DEL-FRA-IAH changing airlines at Frankfurt

Hi all,
I am an Indian citizen with an Advance Parole document to re-enter the US. I have read the rules for transit visa at Frankfurt and I do not need a transit visa unless I need to check-in again at Frankfurt.
I am considering an itinerary that takes me on a Lufthansa flight operated by Air India from Delhi to Frankfurt, and from there on a United Airlines flight to Houston. Now, the thing is that since Lufthansa and United are alliance partners, I'm sure Lufthansa would have checked me in all the way. However, in this case, the Lufthansa flight is being oeprated by Air India, which is not an alliance partner with United. So will Air India check me into my United flight too, or will I need to check-in again at Frankfurt?

cheers,

A
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:54 pm

No.
use http://tinyurl.com/dk696
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsh913

Thanks. But what if Air India does not provide me a boarding pass for United, and instead requires me to collect my luggage at Frankfurt and check-in with United. In that case, I will certainly need a visa. So the question is whether or not Air India checks me in for my entire journey or only up to Frankfurt. Do you know?

regards,

A
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:15 pm

If you are on a single PNR you should be through checked in on your bags.
If AI does not give you a BP for FRA-IAH in DEL you can always get on in FRA.

I routinely fly ORD-FRA/MUC-BOM with ORD-FRA on UA and onwards on LH.

UA nevers gives me bp for LH. I just collect the bp at FRA or MUC. Bags are through checked in. Just make sure the AI ck in guy through cks in your bags.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by ajnd80
Thanks. But what if Air India does not provide me a boarding pass for United, and instead requires me to collect my luggage at Frankfurt and check-in with United. In that case, I will certainly need a visa. So the question is whether or not Air India checks me in for my entire journey or only up to Frankfurt. Do you know?

regards,

A
Originally Posted by rsh913
If you are on a single PNR you should be through checked in on your bags.
If AI does not give you a BP for FRA-IAH in DEL you can always get on in FRA.

I routinely fly ORD-FRA/MUC-BOM with ORD-FRA on UA and onwards on LH.

UA nevers gives me bp for LH. I just collect the bp at FRA or MUC. Bags are through checked in. Just make sure the AI ck in guy through cks in your bags.
Air India will definitely check your bags through (especially if its on one PNR). And even if you have two separate tickets (DEL-FRA, FRA-IAH), AirIndia should still be able to help you check your bags through.
Just request it at check-in.

Yes, AI will not be able to print your boarding pass for FRA-IAH.
You will get this at FRA as described by rsh913.
There should not be any problem with that.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
as described by others, you won't have a problem if you have a single pnr....in case you don't then just request it at check-in....they will let you know whether its possible or not....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.