Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in BOM (HEL-BOM-SIN)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Silver. HHonors Gold & the other shiny cards you get with the AX plat
Transit in BOM (HEL-BOM-SIN)

On 23. dec me and my gf are flying HEL-BOM with AY and after a ~7 hour layover we are continuing with SQ421 BOM-SIN. We are flying back via PVG so that shouldn't be a problem, it's BOM that worries me after reading about it here on FT.
All flights are on the same ticket and we're flying coach BTW.

Questions:

1. The baggage is checked through in HEL all the way to SIN, isn't it?

2. Do we need to go through customs and immigration at some point in BOM and therefore need to apply for a transit visa?

3. We both have Diners Club cards. Can anyone confirm that DC really gives access to the Oberoi(/Clipper) lounge? Or is the lounge so terrible (as I've read here) that we'd be better off anywhere else but there?

Any tips on what to do at BOM from 4:25 AM to 11:50 AM are also appreciated. If we won't need a visa for any other purpose, we're not going get one just for going to downtown Mumbai for a few hours in the morning.

Edit: At least http://www.online.citibank.co.in/por.../corporate.htm tells me that i should get lounge access. Doesn't say it's exclusively for Indian DC cards either.

Edit2: Finnair answered my first question. Baggage is checked through all the way to SIN.
The High Commission of India answers my second question through their web pages http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/faq.aspx

" I will be changing flights/airports in India to travel to my final destination (say Nepal, Thailand etc.) Do I need a visa to change flights/airport terminals?
You need to apply for a transit visa if you are going to change from an international terminal to a domestic terminal of any Indian airport or if you are going to stay in an airport hotel even for a few hours. You don't need a transit visa if you stay in the waiting area reserved for international transit passengers in an Indian airport. Note that you can stay for a maximum period of 72 hours in India on a transit visa. You should have a confirmed air ticket for the onward journey."

This leaves me with only question 3.

Last edited by TapioR; Dec 4, 2008 at 3:47 am
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Can anyone confirm that DC really gives access to the Oberoi(/Clipper) lounge?

I have never heard of this.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
2. You can stay airside. Search the India forum for a recent trip report on transfer in DEL. Contact SQ in BOM in advance to make sure they know you are coming.

3. DC used to give access to Oberoi lounges at indian airports, but it looks like BOM is no longer in the plan: http://www.dinersclub.com/en/DCIHome/airport.jhtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.