Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2008, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Domestic flights

Looking at booking a domestic flight in December with AI/IA from Goa to Bhubhaneshwar - this involves a change in Bombay - the online routing shows 2 hrs 25 mins between arriving and leaving there.

Will this be long enough to ensure luggage can be collected and a transfer made ? If there are any problems how efficient are the airline in rearranging flights ? Unfortunately Jet don't seem to fly to Bhubhaneshwar.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
IC, not IA - and its reasonable. 9W doesnt fly to BBI - S2 (aka JetLite) does though. They arent nearly as nice a carrier as 9W

leave on 03/10/2008- travel time: 18:10 hours
Flight Airline Departure Arrival Class
S2118 JetLite 15:15 Goa 17:40 New Delhi Economy
S26143 JetLite 07:20 New Delhi 09:25 Bhubaneswar Economy
price details in INR
Provider Base fare Airline Taxes + Fees Total price
JetLite 4595.00 + 6650.00 + 0.00 = 11245.00

Shortest routing though is -

leave on 03/10/2008- travel time: 6:30 hours
Flight Airline Departure Arrival Class
G8173 Go Air 07:25 Goa 10:10 New Delhi Economy
IC877 Indian Airlines 11:55 New Delhi 13:55 Bhubaneswar Economy
price details in INR
Provider Base fare Airline Taxes + Fees Total price
Go Air
2000.00 + 3275.00 + 50.00 = 5325.00
Indian Airlines
4180.00 + 2350.00 + 225.00 = 6755.00

Originally Posted by Caymanian
Looking at booking a domestic flight in December with AI/IA from Goa to Bhubhaneshwar - this involves a change in Bombay - the online routing shows 2 hrs 25 mins between arriving and leaving there.

Will this be long enough to ensure luggage can be collected and a transfer made ? If there are any problems how efficient are the airline in rearranging flights ? Unfortunately Jet don't seem to fly to Bhubhaneshwar.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:45 pm

oh wait -

9W480 Jet Airways 08:10 Goa 09:10 Mumbai Economy
IC169 Indian Airlines 10:25 Mumbai 13:35 Bhubaneswar Economy
Old Sep 29, 2008, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hserus
oh wait -

9W480 Jet Airways 08:10 Goa 09:10 Mumbai Economy
IC169 Indian Airlines 10:25 Mumbai 13:35 Bhubaneswar Economy

Wow - I'd never have thought that flights in India would be so reliable and Bombay airport so efficient that it's possible to leave only 1 hr and 15 mins between one flight arriving and leaving and still have enough time to alllow for delays, collecting baggage, clearing security and getting to the gate for the second flight !

I was concerned that doing the whole journey with IC would be push with over 2 hours between flights, obviously not a problem.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 2:13 pm

Allow at least 4 hours between flights; 6 is better.

1:15 is not even remotely reasonable, particularly since there is no interlining.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 6:13 pm

That's if you are actually carrying luggage. One other idea would be to fly to CCU or HYD and then fly to BBI later - smaller airports, so ..

Oh, and you can just about make a 2 hr connect if you stay airside and dont checkin luggage.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kalia960
1:15 is not even remotely reasonable, particularly since there is no interlining.
My thoughts exactly

Originally Posted by kalia960
Allow at least 4 hours between flights; 6 is better.
But 6 hours would in effect mean writing off one whole day ! Is the 2.5 hours IC shows on their schedule practically unachievable ? If so it will mean o/nighting in Mumbai, somehting I'd rather avoid.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Caymanian
But 6 hours would in effect mean writing off one whole day ! Is the 2.5 hours IC shows on their schedule practically unachievable ? If so it will mean o/nighting in Mumbai, somehting I'd rather avoid.
It's a question of your tolerance for risk and how important it is to get there on time. 2.5 hours is fine IFF the first flight is on time. If you miss the last flight of the day, IC will put you up in a hotel if both flights are on the same ticket.

So say "om" and take some deep breaths; realize that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter that much. Flights can be late anywhere in the world.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

According to their website, IC will only put up some passengers, not all fare classes. More of a concern is getting on the next flight - if flights are busy it could be a ryan air experience and a long wait... or is it reasonable to assume that someone else may be in the same position the next day and a seat is likely to be free ?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:52 am

AI/IC provide through check-in facilities at all airports where they operate. Boarding passes for both flts would be issued in BOM. You will need to go from arrivals to departure and then proceed directly for security check.
Or, on the other hand, you can check in online and then check in luggage at the airport (the most convinient one).
I don't know how far 1A is from arrivals in BOM, so I cant say anything about that.
But, if one flt gets delayed, then it is a different story...IC is generally makes alternative arrangements - they might put you on the IndiGo flt in the afternoon or send you via DEL by their evening flt to Bhubaneshwar. Seats should be available - very few flts in India fly with 90%+ load.
Anyways, you should be able to do the connection - I've done much tighter connections with both IC and 9W, but not at BOM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CSingh
AI/IC provide through check-in facilities at all airports where they operate. Boarding passes for both flts would be issued in BOM. You will need to go from arrivals to departure and then proceed directly for security check.
Or, on the other hand, you can check in online and then check in luggage at the airport (the most convinient one).
I don't know how far 1A is from arrivals in BOM, so I cant say anything about that.
But, if one flt gets delayed, then it is a different story...IC is generally makes alternative arrangements - they might put you on the IndiGo flt in the afternoon or send you via DEL by their evening flt to Bhubaneshwar. Seats should be available - very few flts in India fly with 90%+ load.
Anyways, you should be able to do the connection - I've done much tighter connections with both IC and 9W, but not at BOM.
Thanks - I ended up booking with Kingfisher, about half the price and perhaps private enterprise will deliver better service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.