Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Kingfisher to introduce BLR-SFO nonstop flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kingfisher to introduce BLR-SFO nonstop flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by gmailflyer
Checkout Lufthansa's microsite http://www.weflyhome.com. I see promotional fares under $1000 for a few Indian cities from US. These are targeted at leisure travelers and have restrictions (advance purchase, Sat night stay, etc.) but are good deals for price conscious travelers.
The ~1k fares do not factor in fuel surcharge or taxes. The surcharges, taxes and fees easily add ~$500!

Except Feb/March (or thereabouts) LH fares are not inexpensive. For BLR anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by gmailflyer
You hit upon a secret for J class travel to India. If you're traveling on your own dime and are cost sensitive but prefer J class, your best best is to route via BKK. Flts to BKK seem to be full in Y and not that full in J and so you often see very competitive J fares (and local market conditions do support this). With increased connectivity to BKK from various Indian cities you don't lose much on schedule (BLR had two flts a day on some peak days this winter; JetLite without J class is starting Amritsar to BKK I believe).
Transiting BKK adds a long layover on the way back. Though TG has two flights to BLR on some days, they leave at about the same time (+/- 1-2 hr). Consequently BLR-US travel time remains ~40 hrs.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has the BLR-JFK route been confirmed yet by Kingfisher?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has the BLR-JFK route been confirmed yet by Kingfisher?
I read it as Newark... New York will be the second american destination after San Francisco, with flights from Bangalore using A340-500s.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: DLPM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyboy777
I read it as Newark... New York will be the second american destination after San Francisco, with flights from Bangalore using A340-500s.
Newark was talked about just in case if they dont get slots at JFK! This is how schedules are going to look like for BLR-JFK when it starts around late august..

Blr Dep 11:30 PM - JFK Arr 7AM (same day)
JFK Dep 10 AM - BLR Arr 12noon (next day)
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:44 pm

Does anybody know the date and schedules for the first BLR-SFO non stop?

Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WASBLR
Transiting BKK adds a long layover on the way back. Though TG has two flights to BLR on some days, they leave at about the same time (+/- 1-2 hr). Consequently BLR-US travel time remains ~40 hrs.
No one says you have to use TG. I have used AI connecting with NW, with 5-6 hours layover in BKK. If you were connecting in SIN, it's a different story.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:14 am
Suspended

Why the change in slots... it makes for a very inefficent use of aircraft. I guess the A330s will be employed on domestic sectors or something...

If you read previous posts, you'll see why there's plenty of demand up front, down back (don't forget the connections) & down below in the hold. If you discount the weak American market, the Indian market will simply exploit this flight themselves...

I thought the flight was to begin in the late summer, is that soon enough?
BLR-SFO non stop just isn't lucrative enough. If Kingfisher does start it, it will not be a moneymaker flight. BOM and DEL are much bigger markets, with larger population base and bigger economy. BLR-SFO with a connection somewhere in Asia or Europe would generate more revenue for the airline.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by pdxPort
Newark was talked about just in case if they dont get slots at JFK! This is how schedules are going to look like for BLR-JFK when it starts around late august..

Blr Dep 11:30 PM - JFK Arr 7AM (same day)
JFK Dep 10 AM - BLR Arr 12noon (next day)
Where'd you find that out?!

Originally Posted by Yaatri
BLR-SFO non stop just isn't lucrative enough. If Kingfisher does start it, it will not be a moneymaker flight. BOM and DEL are much bigger markets, with larger population base and bigger economy. BLR-SFO with a connection somewhere in Asia or Europe would generate more revenue for the airline.
Bangalore & San Francisco are the silicon valleys of their respective countries. They both have huge amounts of trade & business between them. Lufthansa alone flies a B747-400 scheduled to fly BLR-FRA-SFO since the connecting passenger volumes are so big. Without the SFO connection, I dout LH would offer a B747 on FRA-BLR. BA also does well on the route. A non-stop will tap into the market at the top end & will generate excellent revenues up front & in the hold. IT's excellent connections will fill the back end.

Yes, BOM & DEL are bigger but they aren't as lucrative as this niche market! Not launching non-stop would give it no competitive advantage vs. Lufthansa, Singapore Air etc.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:16 pm

Bangalore & San Francisco are the silicon valleys of their respective countries. They both have huge amounts of trade & business between them. Lufthansa alone flies a B747-400 scheduled to fly BLR-FRA-SFO since the connecting passenger volumes are so big. Without the SFO connection, I dout LH would offer a B747 on FRA-BLR. BA also does well on the route. A non-stop will tap into the market at the top end & will generate excellent revenues up front & in the hold. IT's excellent connections will fill the back end. Yes, BOM & DEL are bigger but they aren't as lucrative as this niche market! Not launching non-stop would give it no competitive advantage vs. Lufthansa, Singapore Air etc.
yes, & the VC market is hot at both BLR & bay area, added to the growing VFR nos. SQ has already slashed its BLR-SIN-SFO fare by 30%; expect LH to do the same in the months to come.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:23 am
Suspended

Bangalore & San Francisco are the silicon valleys of their respective countries. They both have huge amounts of trade & business between them. Lufthansa alone flies a B747-400 scheduled to fly BLR-FRA-SFO since the connecting passenger volumes are so big. Without the SFO connection, I dout LH would offer a B747 on FRA-BLR. BA also does well on the route. A non-stop will tap into the market at the top end & will generate excellent revenues up front & in the hold. IT's excellent connections will fill the back end.

Yes, BOM & DEL are bigger but they aren't as lucrative as this niche market! Not launching non-stop would give it no competitive advantage vs. Lufthansa, Singapore Air etc.
The problem with your statement is the assumption that every passenger on the BLR-FRA flight is there because they are going to SFO, and every passenger on FRA-SFO has also originated in BLR. That BLR needs more flights is not disputed. But that BLR will be used to serve only SFO is.

Last edited by Yaatri; Apr 28, 2008 at 11:38 am
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by megatoppie
yes, & the VC market is hot at both BLR & bay area, added to the growing VFR nos. SQ has already slashed its BLR-SIN-SFO fare by 30%; expect LH to do the same in the months to come.
Slashing fares is not an indication of full flights.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:44 pm

The problem with your statement is the assumption that every passenger on the BLR-FRA flight is there because they are going to SFO, and every passenger on FRA-SFO has also originated in BLR. That BLR needs more flights is not disputed. But that BLR will be used to serve only SFO is.
That's not what I meant - I suspect it if weren't for the BLR-SFO traffic, FRA-BLR would be perhaps an A346. I didn't say every single passenger on BLR-FRA is on FRA-SFO, just a good few!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: DLPM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
JFK slot allocation!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Kingfisher is rethinking.

"Due to the increase in crude oil prices and no signs of stability in the market, we are re-evaluating all our plans for international operations, keeping in mind costs and route network," Kingfisher Airlines Executive Vice-president Hitesh Patel said in reply to a questionnaire.

The airline was scheduled to launch its international operations with a Bangalore-San Francisco service on August 27. Now, informed sources said, the airline is re-evaluating whether it should launch the service or defer it for a few months. A final decision will be taken in a day or two.
Mallya rethinks overseas plans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.