Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India Baggage Allowance on Domestic lowered to 15KG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold

https://www.financialexpress.com/bus...gment-3477463/

AI has reduced baggage allowance on domestic flights for tickets sold from 2nd May. The lowest fare has only 15 kg, in line with other airlines. One can purchase higher bag allowance for higher fare. I guess Air India management has decided that there is no need to give 25 kg allowance on lowest fares as they may be not getting any additional revenue towards ticket sales.
Old May 9, 2024, 11:55 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, AI Red ;)
I think this is a completely justified change, and goes in line with what the norm is in the Indian market. Obviously AI has to differentiate as a full service carrier vs an LCC so there's an argument to be made that they should have a higher baggage allowance. But this does come with an additional revenue stream + reduced weight on planes leading to lower fuel consumption and lower costs.

I would think 15kgs + cabin bags should be more than enough for the vast majority of domestic trips.
Old May 10, 2024, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by RanChin
I think this is a completely justified change, and goes in line with what the norm is in the Indian market. Obviously AI has to differentiate as a full service carrier vs an LCC so there's an argument to be made that they should have a higher baggage allowance. But this does come with an additional revenue stream + reduced weight on planes leading to lower fuel consumption and lower costs.

I would think 15kgs + cabin bags should be more than enough for the vast majority of domestic trips.
right now I think the only difference left is strict 1 check in baggage on indigo vs multi in air india and Vistara. And Vistara did well with 15 kgs limit so air India will be fine. Other stuff regarding their service would deviate from the subject of this thread.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
It's a weird random stupid number. 15 kgs. A big deviation and therefore a massive pain and cost for international travelers.

Excess luggage cost to 23 kgs on all airlines except AI is generally worth more than that ticket.

It's a how to screw over customers 101.
Old May 12, 2024, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
They should have lowered it to 23kgs. I can see why they are doing this but at the end of the day the customer gets screwed over.
Old May 12, 2024, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
It's a weird random stupid number. 15 kgs. A big deviation and therefore a massive pain and cost for international travelers.

Excess luggage cost to 23 kgs on all airlines except AI is generally worth more than that ticket.

It's a how to screw over customers 101.
If an international through ticket, then the baggage allowance of the international ticket/ flight will almost certainly apply. If international traveler is buying separate tickets, that's their choice.
Old May 12, 2024, 11:18 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by peasant
If an international through ticket, then the baggage allowance of the international ticket/ flight will almost certainly apply. If international traveler is buying separate tickets, that's their choice.
You often have to. Whether it's dynamic business travel or visiting multiple places.... or awards or preferring long haul J and short haul Y, having unconfirmed or flexible plans or buying the long haul ticket 6-9 months in advance and figuring out your itinerary closer to travel or any 10,000 other reasons. It's not possible to always have a single ticket for your travels. Never ever works that way.

Having a non standard baggage amount and a baggage fee of about ₹4k for the additional 7 kgs makes it an awful money grab by the airlines. And the most expensive baggage fees (that I've heard of). We don't need to victim blame international travellers for this. What the airlines are doing is just flat out wrong.
Old May 13, 2024, 6:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
To be fair all the LCCs offer subsidised baggage rates if you have an international flight within 48hrs of the domestic flight.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
They should have lowered it to 23kgs. I can see why they are doing this but at the end of the day the customer gets screwed over.
I dont see how the customer is inconvenienced. One has the option of buying a higher fare priced ticket which gives the passengers 25 kg allowance. And if you buy separate tickets, AI honors higher luggage allowance for connections if flown by AI and a select few partners, like ANA, within the same day. Airlines of India are still better than US (except Southwest) and European carriers, they still have a free 15 kg allowance for all passengers, regardless of status.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
You often have to. Whether it's dynamic business travel or visiting multiple places.... or awards or preferring long haul J and short haul Y, having unconfirmed or flexible plans or buying the long haul ticket 6-9 months in advance and figuring out your itinerary closer to travel or any 10,000 other reasons. It's not possible to always have a single ticket for your travels. Never ever works that way.

Having a non standard baggage amount and a baggage fee of about ₹4k for the additional 7 kgs makes it an awful money grab by the airlines. And the most expensive baggage fees (that I've heard of). We don't need to victim blame international travellers for this. What the airlines are doing is just flat out wrong.
the upsell to flex (and 25kg) is going to be cheaper than paying excess baggage fees in most cases. Its standard across other markets (if a passenger flies to US with their 2 x 23, then buys a separate domestic ticket, they also get stung for the extra bags). Not victim blaming, but price discrimination by the airlines that make sense for them. Actually surprised that they didnt introduce a zero check in bag fare
Old May 13, 2024, 8:43 am

Well if our argument is "at least it isn't as bad as UA" then I think we've already lost the argument. Sure there are a few (maybe 2-3) exceptions to baggage rules including international flights within 24 hours, pay 2-3k+ for 7kgs extra with AI only in Y.... ummmm... can't think of another one.
today
Now here's my questions.
  1. Why the random number of 15 kgs? Why not keep it at the international standard and indeed the Indian standard of 23kgs in Y? This question is applicable for all Indian airlines
  2. Why does 7 kgs excess baggage in India cost the same as 23kgs check-in baggage in the US? Applicable for all Indian airlines except AI. How do they justify this?
  3. Why 25kgs in J for AI? Why isn't it 32 kgs? How does one justify that a 30-40k ticket shouldn't include that baggage allowance today? What's changed to force them to do that?

So how is this anything but a money grab? With AI's reduced their luggage allowance, lets assume AI's fuel consumption has reduced by 20%. Assuming ATF is 50-60% of the ticket cost - then the ticket cost should also reduce by 10%. But it won't. Gee, I wonder why.
Old May 13, 2024, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by peasant
the upsell to flex (and 25kg) is going to be cheaper than paying excess baggage fees in most cases. It’s standard across other markets (if a passenger flies to US with their 2 x 23, then buys a separate domestic ticket, they also get stung for the extra bags). Not victim blaming, but price discrimination by the airlines that make sense for them. Actually surprised that they didn’t introduce a zero check in bag fare
Yes any way to increase prices makes "sense for the company". They'd charge us $50,000 if they could for a 30 minute flight.

My question is simply... how is that reasonable? I'm not saying airlines shouldn't be profitable. At the same time, how is it not screwing over the customer? And why not adhere to the very standards that you yourself have set elsewhere to maintain consistency.
Old May 13, 2024, 10:59 pm

Well, yes. Look at Indigo pricing on monopoly routes, or how high fares go for back to school seasons. Its just that everyone is in a land grab for market share in India, so fares are generally low.

I agree, 15 kg is odd. I would recommend a piece system starting with a no bag fare, then 1/23 etc. Easier to automate and harder for agents to override. (Its very easy for someone to just enter an overweight bag as 15 kg, not 23. But they cant issue one bag tag for two checked in bags)
Old May 14, 2024, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hyho61
I dont see how the customer is inconvenienced. One has the option of buying a higher fare priced ticket which gives the passengers 25 kg allowance. And if you buy separate tickets, AI honors higher luggage allowance for connections if flown by AI and a select few partners, like ANA, within the same day. Airlines of India are still better than US (except Southwest) and European carriers, they still have a free 15 kg allowance for all passengers, regardless of status.
Like I said before, I see from a corporate point of view why they are doing this but I will still stick to my point that they should have kept the minimum allowance at 23 kgs. A lot of people who are visiting from overseas have domestic flights that are not part of their international itinerary & not flown with the same day of their international flight.

Comparing Airlines in India to the US or Europe is not a fair comparison at all. There are too many different factors that come into play.
Old May 14, 2024, 4:03 am

My guess, they dont see enough advantage of having higher baggage allowance than Indigo or Akasa, in the market so have decided to match.

Yes, for some reason Indian airlines are less generous on domestic baggage that US or EU (comparing fares with baggage). As you say, lots of factors come into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.