Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India taking delivery of 6 A359 (ex SU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India taking delivery of 6 A359 (ex SU)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
VT-JRA had a certification flight today:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...t-jra#33818dd2

9W73H likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

JRA is busy doing training sorties:

Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
MSN 594 / VT-JRI heading back to TLS after paint in SIN

Old Jan 18, 2024, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I have a flight in May(2nd week). Can I expect the new Aircraft on my SFO-BLR nonstop flight?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:15 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by concordian
I have a flight in May(2nd week). Can I expect the new Aircraft on my SFO-BLR nonstop flight?
The best way to check is to look at this wiki - AI B777 Fleet adjustments (Refurb B77W, Retire B77L, Lease B77E). You can also compare seat maps to confirm.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Some more routes: (BOM MAA and MAA HYD)

https://twitter.com/airindia/status/1742177849464021107
Don't see tickets available on Points? Any success?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:47 am

JRA seems to have developed some issues and VT-ANI has come to the rescue:

In other new JRB may make its way to DEL this week.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:00 am

A359 on BLR-DEL:

Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:23 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
More than AI... I'm still surprised that SU ordered this cabin! Wow!
Anish likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
More than AI... I'm still surprised that SU ordered this cabin! Wow!
The "nested" J seat layouts with an illusion of privacy have proved extremely popular, even though some of those layouts are hostile to couples. Possibly SU shopped around for a cheap 1970's style "open" layout and was told that these are no longer made.

The question is whether the SU seats were made with cheap materials and so will fail quickly under AI's rough usage and "chalta hai" maintenance.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The "nested" J seat layouts with an illusion of privacy have proved extremely popular, even though some of those layouts are hostile to couples. Possibly SU shopped around for a cheap 1970's style "open" layout and was told that these are no longer made.

The question is whether the SU seats were made with cheap materials and so will fail quickly under AI's rough usage and "chalta hai" maintenance.
I would contend that SQ Suites (at meal times) AF, EY, VS etc. etc. etc. have significantly worse "illusion of privacy". This looks like a top J seat!

Also, saying that because it's been ordered by SU/Russia, Collins made it out of cheap materials or because it is being run by AI it won't be maintained... are really biased opinions.

All I'm saying for now is.. SU did put a lot of effort to designing this cabin and that needs to be appreciated. And I'm glad AI got these planes and cabins! It's a great step forward for AI and hopefully I will get to try it some time soon!
9W73H likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Do you really think Collins would use inferior materials for one order and have to re-certify their entire seat?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Also, saying that because it's been ordered by SU/Russia, Collins made it out of cheap materials or because it is being run by AI it won't be maintained... are really biased opinions.
Yes, AI has a strong record of seat maintenance and cleanliness! And Aeroflot has a long history as a first-class airline...
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:55 pm

Yes, AI has a strong record of seat maintenance and cleanliness!
Yes... and it was spectacular. You should read up on their ownership under JRD. Can it get back there? 1000%. They're on the right path.

And Aeroflot has a long history as a first-class airline...
Yes that's what surprised me about this order from SU, and I've mentioned it several times above. Doesn't detract from what this cabin is. And it's world class. Do you have actually evidence that Collins used cheaper materials - of course not.

That's why I said your opinion is biased.
9W73H likes this.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Feb 1, 2024 at 11:18 pm
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:49 am

TK and AI both picked up these A359 which were originally ordered and certified for delivery to SU. SU had ordered 17 or 19 A359 and took delivery of 6 before the invasion of Ukraine. These were all financed/leased thru the Russian 'Avia Capital Services' a subsidiary of state owned Rostec. After the invasion Airbus cancelled the contract, refunded the prepayment and went looking for buyers. Both AI & TK have not changed anything on these so they didn't have to go thru a long recertification process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.