Wiki Posts
Search

JFL-BOM 777s

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2023, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

JFL-BOM 777s

Hi,
Has anyone taken the new JFK-BOM direct flight this year (2023)? Are they using the newly refurbished 777-LRs? Is the business class any better than on the 777-ERs they've been using for EWR-BOM?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
You can check on the booking page - JFK-BOM nonstop is using the 777-200LR's(old DL aircrafts). As of now, EWR-BOM is on 773's
The 772LR's can't be used on DEL flights - - they are usually used for NYC-BOM and SFO-BOM
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
The 772LR's can't be used on DEL flights - - they are usually used for NYC-BOM and SFO-BOM
They CAN be used on Delhi-USA flights and have been used on some, but they cannot use the P500 airway in Kabul FIR due to lack of additional oxygen generators (an option that Delta declined when acquiring those aircraft) which often makes it unreasonably longer to use an alternative routing.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
JFK-BOM is pretty consistently on the ex-Delta 77Ls but there can be a last minute swap to the AI 77Ws. Business class on the ex-DL planes is significantly better with Delta One Suites vs Angled lie flat on the 77Ws - https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ai116
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
They CAN be used on Delhi-USA flights and have been used on some, but they cannot use the P500 airway in Kabul FIR due to lack of additional oxygen generators (an option that Delta declined when acquiring those aircraft) which often makes it unreasonably longer to use an alternative routing.
That's what I meant , they are not being used ex-DEL because of the DL aircrafts that lack the oxygen generators. Hence more likely to get the 772LR's on JFK/SFO-BOM route. Not sure why EWR is not getting the love.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Acid
That's what I meant , they are not being used ex-DEL because of the DL aircrafts that lack the oxygen generators. Hence more likely to get the 772LR's on JFK/SFO-BOM route. Not sure why EWR is not getting the love.
Thank you. My mother took JFK-BOM in April 2023 and commented it was the same old plane with a terrible business class cabin (777ER). I checked Air India's booking site and Flightradar24 today, and it appears JFK-BOM has finally been completely switched to the refurbished 777LRs from Delta. However, EWR-BOM which uses dilapidated 3-class 777ERs is still priced much higher. I guess this price discrepancy is just Air India doing its thing

With no end in sight to the Ukraine war, United's EWR-BOM with Polaris doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon. AI's JFK-BOM business class finally offers a decent option for business class travelers wanting a direct NYC-BOM flight.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Anish
JFK-BOM is pretty consistently on the ex-Delta 77Ls but there can be a last minute swap to the AI 77Ws.
This happened to me in April & again to a friend of mine last month.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
This happened to me in April & again to a friend of mine last month.
Did the flight have WiFi, and if so, how was it?
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: AI Flying Returns Gold
I did BOM->JFK in February. Seemed like a Delta interior to me. The business class looked like 1-2-1 with lie-flat pods. No WiFi offered.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by ashwin_s
Did the flight have WiFi, and if so, how was it?
WiFi is not available on any AI flight.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ashwin_s
Thank you. My mother took JFK-BOM in April 2023 and commented it was the same old plane with a terrible business class cabin (777ER). I checked Air India's booking site and Flightradar24 today, and it appears JFK-BOM has finally been completely switched to the refurbished 777LRs from Delta. However, EWR-BOM which uses dilapidated 3-class 777ERs is still priced much higher. I guess this price discrepancy is just Air India doing its thing

With no end in sight to the Ukraine war, United's EWR-BOM with Polaris doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon. AI's JFK-BOM business class finally offers a decent option for business class travelers wanting a direct NYC-BOM flight.
It has been now 16 months since Tata took over AI and many passengers still seeing the same issues as the old AI had. It not does appear that Tata management has any urgency to look into this and now with a virtual monopoly on nonstop routes to North America, AI has less incentive to improve the in flight product. Does Vistara have the same issues on the European flights, I wonder.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hyho61
It has been now 16 months since Tata took over AI and many passengers still seeing the same issues as the old AI had. It not does appear that Tata management has any urgency to look into this and now with a virtual monopoly on nonstop routes to North America, AI has less incentive to improve the in flight product. Does Vistara have the same issues on the European flights, I wonder.
I only hope they maintain their engines, sensors and control systems well
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by hyho61
To play the devil's advocate... what improvements were you expecting to see in 16 months time? The big 777 & 787 seat refurbish is expected to start in mid-2024. That's pretty much the main complain of passengers. It's good for AI that they haven't rushed into it (my understanding of these timelines is not based on my expertise but how I see other airlines do these refurbs). They have also ensured direct IND-US capacity which would have significantly impacted passengers if AI started these refurbs at a time of super high demand by just removing capacity.

UK has brand new 787s that are being maintained much better.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
To play the devil's advocate... what improvements were you expecting to see in 16 months time? The big 777 & 787 seat refurbish is expected to start in mid-2024. That's pretty much the main complain of passengers. It's good for AI that they haven't rushed into it (my understanding of these timelines is not based on my expertise but how I see other airlines do these refurbs). They have also ensured direct IND-US capacity which would have significantly impacted passengers if AI started these refurbs at a time of super high demand by just removing capacity.

UK has brand new 787s that are being maintained much better.
Putting leased planes in service should not take 16 months. That's the whole point of leasing, making a short-term fix. Only a few (3?) leased planes are operating.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Putting leased planes in service should not take 16 months. That's the whole point of leasing, making a short-term fix. Only a few (3?) leased planes are operating.
Again I'm not an industry inventory expert and I don't think you are either. I don't think they were expected to come in ready with a plan for this on day one. It's something that has evolved over time. Further there is a huge capacity shortage right now post Covid and airlines are struggling to get planes, spares, pilots & crew to meet demand. QF, LH , EK etcs accelerated activation of retired & semi-retired A380s clearly shows this. Where are the free ready to fly planes hanging about that AI could operate immediately?

Also there are more (6 I think) temporary EY 777s coming over the next year. So 9 planes at least.

I'm not saying AI has been perfect in their execution. How would I know! But I know these refurbs take years and years. SQ has about 10 A380s... but it took them I think almost 5 years to refit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.