Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India (AI) New/Cancelled Routes and Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India (AI) New/Cancelled Routes and Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 10:33 am

And again!

As if they were rummaging through the back of the last cupboard in the guest room and discovered they had surplus aircraft.

Vintage Air India!
Old May 10, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Seeing a few cancellations and crazy departure delays (10+ hours) on SFO-BLR route. Booked business class on this route using turkish miles hoping to catch the delta one cabin (leased by AI from Delta). If my flight were to be cancelled, do I have to deal with Air India or Turkish? Its a Friday flight (SFO-BLR) so the next one wont be available until Monday. Do they have access to reroute me in a United flight (EWR-DEL) for example or any other Star alliance partners (say SFO-FRA-BLR or something on Lufthansa)? I am not a fan of non-delta-one AI business cabins
Old May 10, 2024, 7:18 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Seeing a few cancellations and crazy departure delays (10+ hours) on SFO-BLR route. Booked business class on this route using turkish miles hoping to catch the delta one cabin (leased by AI from Delta). If my flight were to be cancelled, do I have to deal with Air India or Turkish? Its a Friday flight (SFO-BLR) so the next one wont be available until Monday. Do they have access to reroute me in a United flight (EWR-DEL) for example or any other Star alliance partners (say SFO-FRA-BLR or something on Lufthansa)? I am not a fan of non-delta-one AI business cabins
Depends on when it's cancelled. At the airport AI. I've not heard of these flights being cancelled... but yeah crazy bad delays for sure.

AI it's terrible with IRROPS so while they could put you on a different plane... it would be an uphill battle to get them to do that if your flight was cancelled and not just delayed.
Old May 11, 2024, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by jasepl
And again!

As if they were rummaging through the back of the last cupboard in the guest room and discovered they had surplus aircraft.

Vintage Air India!
Yep. I mean, why give competitors and customers a heads up on what you might be doing until the last minute? Keep them on their toes.

the UK merger is rumoured to be sooner rather than later as well. Who knows
Old May 11, 2024, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by peasant
Yep. I mean, why give competitors and customers a heads up on what you might be doing until the last minute? Keep them on their toes.
Which competitors? For what exactly? Scheduling flights to Europe less than 6 (ish - didn't count exactly) weeks impacts no "competitor".
Old May 11, 2024, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by jasepl
Which competitors? For what exactly? Scheduling flights to Europe less than 6 (ish - didn't count exactly) weeks impacts no "competitor".
I may have left off the sarcasm emoji! Or think of it as AI gift to last minute backpackers who havent booked their tickets yet.

I do feel sorry for them a bit, a big fleet of 788 without enough seats to be economical vs larger aircraft, and a terrible business product at the moment must be hard to schedule. Probably how can we lose the least money comes into it.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
They will most likely rebook you on SFO-BOM/DEL with a connection to BLR.
Old May 11, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by peasant
I may have left off the sarcasm emoji! Or think of it as AI gift to last minute backpackers who havent booked their tickets yet.

I do feel sorry for them a bit, a big fleet of 788 without enough seats to be economical vs larger aircraft, and a terrible business product at the moment must be hard to schedule. Probably how can we lose the least money comes into it.
Its peak summer season to EU. I think AI knows how much they can make/lose rather than keeping an extra plane not flying. Remember the first few months of any flight probably lose money so might as well do it over peak season. On one forum someone mentioned Indian school holidays not matching EU summer. Let me tell you Indian tourists were all over Europe last summer - I was in BCN, AMS, LHR, CDG 2 times each over the dull summer. Saw Indian tourists in amounts havent ever seen. OF AIs product the 788 J seats arent bad (not up to todays standard) but same as what Turkish offers on many of their planes.
Old May 12, 2024, 4:49 am

All valid points, which is why almost all airlines would want to launch/ increase long haul routes at least 6 months in advance, to give as much time to fill the early flights.

actually I suspect the spare aircraft were meant to be in the hanger for the interior refresh, and now that has been delayed might as well fly them as long as covers the operational costs
Old May 12, 2024, 11:25 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingChris
The numbers may be there for Indian tourism to Vietnam and business travel in both directions. But I highly doubt Europeans are going to be connecting to SGN via DEL, when there are so many other options for connecting flights between Europe and Vietnam (BKK, SIN, KUL, DXB, DOH, IST to name a few)--not to mention direct services on airlines like Air France (CDG) and Vietnam Airlines (FRA, LHR, CDG).
See AI does look to FT for strategic advice on route planning etc. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le68167891.ece.

They don't when it comes to their FFP or baggage allowance and stuff... but at least they do this.
Old May 13, 2024, 11:33 pm

Meanwhile, QF announces more BLR flights for December, giving plenty of time to sell. So also taking advice from FlyerTalk! 😄
Old May 14, 2024, 1:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Airlines with stable established fleets announce schedule updates well in advance and firm the schedule as the start of the winter/summer schedule draws near. For example the Summer 2025 schedule appeared in the systems last month and the winter 2024/25 schedule is being updated and firmed in late may.

AI has the complex challenge of new aircraft joining the fleet, crew training for the new types and retrofits not happening as per schedule. It seems the A359 is taking over some midhaul B787 routes as crews pass their line checks. This and other B787 becoming available (as new B777s come into the fleet and crews pass their checks for the B777) has led to some B787 routes being added at short notice. Since the EU3 are similarly constrained with crew and aircraft shortages these routes are low hanging fruits waiting to be picked. The money spinners would be extra capacity on the nonstop India-US routes which is currently totally underserved. But for that you need crews and rated aircraft (ETOPS, polar route etc) which are in real short supply.
Anish and RanChin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.