Search

Spice Jet not likely to survive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Spice Jet not likely to survive

https://www.ndtv.com/business/suprem...-weeks-2734479

SpiceJet has only about 3 weeks to come with a plan to pay Credit Suisse, which is the collection agent for SR Technics, the MRO company. This airline is limping along for the last few years, dont think it will make it this time. As it is Spice Jet's schedule has shrunk considerably and the few remaining routes which will be out of service soon, will not be missed much.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:32 am

The delayed the inevitable for way too long. It's time.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
How did the founder think of buying AI? Is there any Indian airlines doing well?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Haven't used them in a very long time but I've heard they have been struggling. At this point in time I don't think more than 2 or 3 carriers can survive in the Indian market. I wouldn't be surprised if the year ends with Indigo, Go First & the Tata collaboration of Air India-Vistara-Air Asia being the only 3 airlines left standing in India.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
Haven't used them in a very long time but I've heard they have been struggling. At this point in time I don't think more than 2 or 3 carriers can survive in the Indian market. I wouldn't be surprised if the year ends with Indigo, Go First & the Tata collaboration of Air India-Vistara-Air Asia being the only 3 airlines left standing in India.
And Akasa if they launch...I think Jet 2.0 is a non starter. But agree with you that the market can't support more than 2-3 big carriers...regional airlines may be slightly more successful because of the UDAN subsidy.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by superboi
And Akasa if they launch...I think Jet 2.0 is a non starter. But agree with you that the market can't support more than 2-3 big carriers...regional airlines may be slightly more successful because of the UDAN subsidy.
I don't know what Akasa can manage with the current aviation sector in India right now. I just don't see a possibility that airlines will be successful in the country if there are more than 2 (maybe 3) carriers.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Star Air is there still, but they're a small operation. I personally think Akasa's famous promoter will give the airline it's initial push, hang with it for a while & get it's value nicely propped up and then ultimately sell of his stake exiting the aviation market.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by quarryking
Star Air is there still, but they're a small operation. I personally think Akasa's famous promoter will give the airline it's initial push, hang with it for a while & get it's value nicely propped up and then ultimately sell of his stake exiting the aviation market.
...following which the airline will sink rapidly

Star Air and other regional carriers will sustain only as long as the UDAN scheme exists...most of those routes are not viable without the subsidy.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How did the founder think of buying AI? Is there any Indian airlines doing well?
Some captains of struggling ships think that making a show of strength buys them time even when the show of strength is all hat, no cattle. Con-artist approach to “business”.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some captains of struggling ships think that making a show of strength buys them time even when the show of strength is all hat, no cattle. Con-artist approach to “business”.
Part of the reason I wished SpiceJet won the bid is to see AI sink. I just can't stand that airline and Vistara & others bloom in its place.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Part of the reason I wished SpiceJet won the bid is to see AI sink. I just can't stand that airline and Vistara & others bloom in its place.
Most likely Tata will retire the Vistara branding at a future date. It has no recognition outside the country unlike the AI brand which has global recognition especially among the Indian diasporas abroad.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Spice and now Akasa are benefactors of the tremendous amounts of money sloshing around in the markets looking for a home. With financial markets tightening you will see a few stars fall from the sky. Jet 2.0 was uncertain to get money even then, so its pretty much dead on arrival for 2022.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Spice and now Akasa are benefactors of the tremendous amounts of money sloshing around in the markets looking for a home. With financial markets tightening you will see a few stars fall from the sky. Jet 2.0 was uncertain to get money even then, so its pretty much dead on arrival for 2022.
Don't you mean Spice and Akasa are the beneficiaries "of the the tremendous amounts of money sloshing around in the markets looking for a home". I can't see how these two Indian carriers can be benefactors of such when they aren't the providers of that "money sloshing around the markets looking for a home".

It's all the loose money that gets even pie-in-the-sky dreams financed, more so than when monetary policy and/or fiscal policy is tight.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:35 am

Interesting (if optimistic) piece on Spicejet and its current owner: https://www.fortuneindia.com/long-re...picejet/107048

Observers say two other factors worked in the airline’s favour. One is Singh’s “come hell and high water” attitude, which pushes him to find an opportunity in adversity. Two, is his ability to retain peace of mind and maintain a calm temperament even as hell breaks loose around him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.