Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by venk
Sure, for everybody.

I was talking about a discriminatory trade practice of selling such connections to anybody but not Indian nationals, the original context of this issue. First of all, none of the booking engines are set up to sell or not sell tickets depending on nationality. Second, for what possible reason would they want to do this?

I am not sure where you are going with these generic statements that doesn’t apply to the discussion at hand.
I was able to call British Airways yesterday and they confirmed all of the air bubble restrictions are no longer in place. They also confirmed it’s perfectly
fine for Indian nationals to transit over London with no need for transit visa as of March 27th(yesterday). So I was able to book tickets. Thank you all all the folks here who had great advice & information.
venk likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:25 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Keyser
From the very inception of the bubble agreements, at no given point in time was it ever based on anything other than trying to help Air India & bullying other countries to bend to their will. I know this for a fact because the 'then' Civil Aviation Minister said this to me himself a number of times.

They saw Covid as an opportunity to prop Air India up as a tool for political, monetary & PR gains.
Agreed, but at the end of it all (and a new civil aviation minister), what was the end result/did they get any concessions in 6th freedom rights, etc? The latest memo said everyone goes back to pre covid allowances /agreements, Emirates is back to 2019 levels of flights as of next week for example. I'm glad it's over at least.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by xobile
Agreed, but at the end of it all (and a new civil aviation minister), what was the end result/did they get any concessions in 6th freedom rights, etc? The latest memo said everyone goes back to pre covid allowances /agreements, Emirates is back to 2019 levels of flights as of next week for example. I'm glad it's over at least.
It didn't matter what the end result was in terms of 6th freedom rights or anything else. Air India is not the government's problem anymore, they got to push around a number of countries for a couple of years, gained political & PR mileage, etc. So as far as they are concerned it all worked out for them.
superboi likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:12 am

It probably helped dress up Air India balance sheet while they were putting the lipstick on the pig for sale. If it helped the sale, it was a huge success! Hard to say without knowing the terms of the sale, whether it had some financial performance, new customers or load guarantees, etc.
superboi likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
It probably helped dress up Air India balance sheet while they were putting the lipstick on the pig for sale. If it helped the sale, it was a huge success! Hard to say without knowing the terms of the sale, whether it had some financial performance, new customers or load guarantees, etc.
There was always only one realistic buyer for Air India & they knew what they were getting into. The Covid bubble flights didn't change anything for AI in that respect.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:47 am

There was always only one realistic buyer for Air India & they knew what they were getting into. The Covid bubble flights didn't change anything for AI in that respect.
It is never that simple. Tata would have extracted blood from the Govt to give them a face saving exit both direct and indirect because AI was bleeding badly.

Typically such sales arrangements come with covenants of minimum balance sheet health, performance and load factors, etc to be met for closing or triggering revaluation of price. In this case, both Tata and Govt benefit from making the sale a success, to justify the price Tata paid in optics and to validate Govt’s decision to sell in a positive spin. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tata announces some magnificient numbers in any of the metrics they choose around 6 months after the sale. Govt delivered pretty much a monopoly for Air India for Indian nationals that would most certainly make some of those numbers look good. This is what I meant by lipstick on a pig. Look for a lot of chest beating then from the administration officials on how their “brave and wise” decision helped unleash the potential of Air India and only they could do it.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is never that simple. Tata would have extracted blood from the Govt to give them a face saving exit both direct and indirect because AI was bleeding badly.

Typically such sales arrangements come with covenants of minimum balance sheet health, performance and load factors, etc to be met for closing or triggering revaluation of price. In this case, both Tata and Govt benefit from making the sale a success, to justify the price Tata paid in optics and to validate Govt’s decision to sell in a positive spin. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tata announces some magnificient numbers in any of the metrics they choose around 6 months after the sale. Govt delivered pretty much a monopoly for Air India for Indian nationals that would most certainly make some of those numbers look good. This is what I meant by lipstick on a pig. Look for a lot of chest beating then from the administration officials on how their “brave and wise” decision helped unleash the potential of Air India and only they could do it.
I don't believe the Covid bubble benefit AI received had any bearing on Tata's decision.

Tata was in line to take over the airline even before the pandemic. Covid just delayed the deal by a couple of years. Given this fact there is no way the government would have done anything to put Tata in a better bargaining position.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:50 pm

I don't believe the Covid bubble benefit AI received had any bearing on Tata's decision.

Tata was in line to take over the airline even before the pandemic. Covid just delayed the deal by a couple of years. Given this fact there is no way the government would have done anything to put Tata in a better bargaining position.
You have missed the entire point of what I wrote. Never mind. This discussion ain’t useful to anybody.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have missed the entire point of what I wrote. Never mind. This discussion ain’t useful to anybody.
No I didn't. I understand where you are coming from but I have a different viewpoint.

Lets just agree to disagree.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:37 pm

No I didn't. I understand where you are coming from but I have a different viewpoint.

Lets just agree to disagree.
Fair enough.

We are talking about two different things though. Decision process for Tata to purchase vs terms of sale. I have no disagreements with your view on Tata having been the best/only viable option.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough.

We are talking about two different things though. Decision process for Tata to purchase vs terms of sale. I have no disagreements with your view on Tata having been the best/only viable option.
I get that. I just feel both things are interrelated.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
AI is still benefiting some what on US flights. United has cancelled BOM flights and SFO flights and the DEL flights they are avoiding Russian air space, while AI is flying through Russian air space (where it makes sense) and is continuing with all its flights.

In fact AI is now flying 10 to 11 times a week from SFO. AI also has resumed Australia flights as well. End of bubble means that TK, Thai and other assortment of airlines (Finnair, LOT etc.) can now fly like they did before pandemic and SQ can now sell connections to India.
superboi likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:10 am

Time to close this thread now, folks?
galaticos likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
After the end of the bubble I heard more flights were announced especially from the Gulf sector. EY does not seem to increased services as TRV is still not back and COK is only once daily. Any news if these were permanent cuts?
kyushuman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.