Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since bubbles are back in vogue, the MoCA is now negotiating bubbles again:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/88049553.cms

One would assume Australia is one of them as operations are to start shortly.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Well, this in itself (delay in opening up India to all flights) is not crazy. They would not be able to handle the testing load. I am not sure if they can handle the new requirements even with just the bubble flights operating.
What's crazy is the on-again off-again bubble announcements which leads to flight cancellations just a few weeks out from travel.

In my personal case, I had an ET ticket ADD-DXB-BOM under air bubble which was then rebooked to ADD-BOM direct when the bubbles reopened but now the ADD-BOM is once again cancelled on my day of travel and the DXB-BOM on AI is full, so I have to be rerouted yet again.

Very annoying especially as prices continue to rise as travel dates come closer.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
What's crazy is the on-again off-again bubble announcements which leads to flight cancellations just a few weeks out from travel.

In my personal case, I had an ET ticket ADD-DXB-BOM under air bubble which was then rebooked to ADD-BOM direct when the bubbles reopened but now the ADD-BOM is once again cancelled on my day of travel and the DXB-BOM on AI is full, so I have to be rerouted yet again.

Very annoying especially as prices continue to rise as travel dates come closer.
True. The airlines are also at fault. I booked QR several months ago, and did not realizet hat I booked the flights on days of the week when the bubble flights were NOT operating. QR was blithely selling tickets in the hope that India would open up. Fortunately, when they finally canceled, they were able to move us to a bubble day.

If they canceled your flights, shouldn't they rebook you for free? They did for us, although I had to insist ("flight is full" "No, it is only fully booked in the same booking class, but this is an involuntary reschedule so please open up seats"---and they did.)

PS Funny how QR's 'unscheduled' bubble flights follow a specific schedule.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If they canceled your flights, shouldn't they rebook you for free?
Turkish Airlines offered to rebook me to April, which is when they are next planning to operate scheduled flights.

Ethiopian offered a rebooking to the one day per week that they are allowed to fly to Mumbai, but there is no connecting flight from my origin point on that day.

Not always that easy to just "rebook for free".
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Fares supposedly didn't go up

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/88122931.cms
TravellingMan and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I guess they took the full fare Y between 2019 and 2021 and said it is the same. What a joke!

BTW does anyone have recent experience in traversing DEL/BOM/BLR airports after the Omicron changes? News reports are quite caustic about the multi-hour delays to get out of the airport.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Turkish Airlines offered to rebook me to April, which is when they are next planning to operate scheduled flights.
Wonder what happens to all the UA mileage tickets that are offering TK as an option?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:25 am

United usually rebooks onto a *A alternative that has award space open (which, considering the full flights to India is a very smal subset).
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:24 pm

United usually rebooks onto a *A alternative that has award space open (which, considering the full flights to India is a very smal subset).
If you're looking at the week before Christmas, the subset is pretty much zero right now. I had to rebook my flights for the 6th time on the weekend and am very thankful that I'm using AC miles so have access to Etihad inventory as well. But that only works for travelers from the UAE, Africa and South America as the air bubble rules do not permit transiting the UAE from Europe or North America in most cases.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Turkish is selling flights to DEL in January. That is what brought me here to see if it was possible to fly TK from JFK to DEL and back. Business awards are 36,800 miles O/W albeit with a hefty tax bill.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was able to fly BOM-LHR-JFK on Virgin Atlantic last week (IND citizen, US LPR). No one checked CDC vaccine card or RT-PCR test at either BOM or LHR.
VS is fine, BA is not via LHR. None of this makes any sense.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
Turkish is selling flights to DEL in January. That is what brought me here to see if it was possible to fly TK from JFK to DEL and back. Business awards are 36,800 miles O/W albeit with a hefty tax bill.
They were selling these flights until November. Then they cancelled and refunded everyone. Then they reinstated the flights at end of November. Then they cancelled them again. Then they started selling again in the last few days. Expect another cancellation by the 15th due to lack of air bubble.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
I was able to fly BOM-LHR-JFK on Virgin Atlantic last week (IND citizen, US LPR). No one checked CDC vaccine card or RT-PCR test at either BOM or LHR.
VS is fine, BA is not via LHR. None of this makes any sense.
Was it after the new rules in India? When you got off the flight from LHR at BOM - did they ask you to do a test? Or classify you as non high risk since LHR was a layover. I am flying DL/VS on JFK-LHR-DEL next week.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
They were selling these flights until November. Then they cancelled and refunded everyone. Then they reinstated the flights at end of November. Then they cancelled them again. Then they started selling again in the last few days. Expect another cancellation by the 15th due to lack of air bubble.
Yeah, guess the best sense is still in flying non-stop, if one can.

That TK redemption was very enticing though. Not sure why the taxes and fees have gotten so high, don't remember them that way.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.