Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nope, everything stays under the 'bubble' setup:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/76999256.cms

At least OCIs will be allowed into India again:
Surely hope they will allow all OCI's (without restrictions) to enter ….
And not just the OCI's who belong to the categories currently allowed to return to India.

Overall, this is encouraging news though.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i wonder how long this 'bubble' system will last....i don't see places like the uk, france & germany allowing indians with tourist visas to enter at the moment....
Old Jul 16, 2020, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
BA/AF/LH are desperate to get (US based) Indians to fill the back of the bus across the Atlantic... they will make the pilgrimage to the ministry with their suitcases... its the ME3 against the EU3 battle for the desi freight to pay the bills Nobody is currently thinking of carrying any tourists any way anywhere.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
BA/AF/LH are desperate to get (US based) Indians to fill the back of the bus across the Atlantic... they will make the pilgrimage to the ministry with their suitcases... its the ME3 against the EU3 battle for the desi freight to pay the bills Nobody is currently thinking of carrying any tourists any way anywhere.
maybe....but with many airlines now operating 1 or 2 flights daily, pretty soon they will run out of us-based indians heading back home....what do they do then????
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Nobody is currently thinking of carrying any tourists any way anywhere.
Originally Posted by Keyser
maybe....but with many airlines now operating 1 or 2 flights daily, pretty soon they will run out of us-based indians heading back home....what do they do then????

Can't tourists/business folks travel now - as long as the destination country is willing to accept them? AI's travel rule says that any Indian national with a 3 month visa (not specifying visa type) can book the AI Vande Bharat flights!

http://www.airindia.in/images/pdf/MH...1-JUN-2020.pdf
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Can't tourists/business folks travel now - as long as the destination country is willing to accept them? AI's travel rule says that any Indian national with a 3 month visa (not specifying visa type) can book the AI Vande Bharat flights!

http://www.airindia.in/images/pdf/MH...1-JUN-2020.pdf
not sure who exactly is eligible right now....not that there will be much tourist travel at the moment but it would be interesting to see how that unfolds over the next few months....

i have a friend who makes 7-8 trips to usa every year....for no particular reason....its like a mini vacation each time....he of course has been stuck here for the last 4-5 months & is itching to head back there....he is planning on traveling on either an af/klm or ua flight over the next few weeks....will update this thread if he makes the trip on a b1/b2 visa....
Old Jul 17, 2020, 3:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No chance to enter US on B-1/2 right now: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

EU will also not allow visitors entry unless you have a very pertinent/essential reason.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
No chance to enter US on B-1/2 right now: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

EU will also not allow visitors entry unless you have a very pertinent/essential reason.
Your link (Timatic) says Indians on B1/B2 can enter USA... they've only banned from and travel through EU (reciprocally I guess) and Iran.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ua has started selling tickets through travel agents....the guidelines travel agents have received state that indians on a b1/b2 visa can enter usa....
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
ua has started selling tickets through travel agents....the guidelines travel agents have received state that indians on a b1/b2 visa can enter usa....
Sounds about right.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:41 am

I understand OCI holders are allowed to enter if there is an urgent reason, like death in the family.

Does anyone know how this would be established? Will the airlines take any documentation, or is some specific type of proof required, or does one have to get cleared by the Indian consulate before arriving at the airport?

Also, do the 'evacuation' flights take round-trippers? (I know it would have to be booked as 2 one-ways.) Can they be booked at short notice or are they still filling up instantaneously?

(Not looking for speculation, please post if you know how it works. Thanks!)

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 17, 2020 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Yes, OCIs can travel for important reasons. My wife recently lost her father and she tried to travel, but gave up after booking the outbound. You have to register with the Indian embassy website in the country you are in. It looks like it is an instant registration. They do send a generic automated email but it does not even have the name of the passenger on it. I was expecting another email confirming her approval to travel.I was expecting another email confirming her approval to travel. When that did not come, I called the embassy and was told the she was automatically registered once her details were entered in the website.

Then book a flight on AI's website. You have to fill some form there and after you submit that form you will be taken to the booking site. You can book RT IIRC, however consider staying at least 14 days in India just in case you have to be quarantined.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Yes, OCIs can travel for important reasons...
Thank you for the help! Since your wife did not actually go, it is not clear if the airline will accept a generic e-mail confirmation without any name on it. Maybe there is direct communication between the GoI and Air India, who knows.

Thankfully I don't have to go now, only trying to be prepared just in case.

Not sure if a quarantine prevents you from leaving the country before the quarantine ends, if one can show a ticket for the return.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Also, do the 'evacuation' flights take round-trippers? (I know it would have to be booked as 2 one-ways.) Can they be booked at short notice or are they still filling up instantaneously?

(Not looking for speculation, please post if you know how it works. Thanks!)
Just booked DEL-ORD-DEL on AI for 12th August and return on 31st. Booked as 2 one-ways, same PNR, two ticket nos
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by galaticos
Just booked DEL-ORD-DEL on AI for 12th August and return on 31st. Booked as 2 one-ways, same PNR, two ticket nos
are you traveling on a visa (if so then what type) or are you a usa resident/citizen????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.