Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Please help: Waiting for Jet Airways refund since a year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help: Waiting for Jet Airways refund since a year

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
An EU airline issued the ticket, and it normally abides by EU law. O&D don't matter in this case. Even after Brexit, the UK still follows the EU law until they can come up with something better.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
This is a flight between BOM & DTW (via LHR) - and traveling to EU on an Indian airline albeit with a ticket issued by a EU member airline - would the EU be involved in this? If the EU is involved UK gives you 6 years to get a refund!

And if you've read some of the reviews on TravelGenio on TripAdvisor etc. they're a fun company to get money back from. So you will have to be very persistent with them to get the refund. And expect them to drive you up the wall.

But save yourself all that hassle... complain to your CC. Especially if TG promised you a refund 1.5 years ago!
TG is completely unreachable right now. And so is Virgin. What should I tell TG even if I manage to get a hold of them in the future? They just keep saying they've forwarded my request.

Last edited by nevillek; Apr 30, 2020 at 9:17 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by nevillek
TG is completely unreachable right now. And so is Virgin. What should I tell TG even if I manage to get a hold of them in the future? They just keep saying they've forwarded my request.
Get a confirmation from VS first that they've refunded. No point chasing TG before that.

Of course don't expect it to be smooth process even after (or if) VS refunds. TG will still be awful to deal with.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Get a confirmation from VS first that they've refunded. No point chasing TG before that.

Of course don't expect it to be smooth process even after (or if) VS refunds. TG will still be awful to deal with.
This is what VS says:

Hi there. Chris here. The booking reference that's been showing in the screenshot VY3OUR, is not a Virgin Atlantic reference, it's a Travelgenio reference. This means you didn't make this booking via us, therefore we would not be handling any refund request. I suggest you speak to Travelgenio at your convenience so that they can investigate for you. Thank you and take care.
Old May 1, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
And around and around in circles you go. You can tell VS... you’re only checking in with them to see if TG made the request because they claim they have and it’s been over a year since. So you’re only trying to check on the status of the refund. Not actually request the refund. Then go with that info to TG and ask them why they haven’t requested the refund yet. Repeat the 2 steps - checking in with VS and following up with TG 18 times till TG finally relents.

More importantly please understand because of the way TA’s work with airlines this refund WILL be coming out of TG’s own pocket. VS will give them the credit for a future booking they make. TG on the best of days is not keen to make refunds... right now they’ll be exponentially less inclined. So go settle this through your bank!
Old May 2, 2020, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The VS booking reference is EITJIV you can see that in the OP here.
Old May 2, 2020, 7:16 am
Original Poster

And around and around in circles you go. You can tell VS... you’re only checking in with them to see if TG made the request because they claim they have and it’s been over a year since. So you’re only trying to check on the status of the refund. Not actually request the refund. Then go with that info to TG and ask them why they haven’t requested the refund yet. Repeat the 2 steps - checking in with VS and following up with TG 18 times till TG finally relents.

More importantly please understand because of the way TA’s work with airlines this refund WILL be coming out of TG’s own pocket. VS will give them the credit for a future booking they make. TG on the best of days is not keen to make refunds... right now they’ll be exponentially less inclined. So go settle this through your bank!
what exactly do I tell my bank? Just making sure I don’t goof up with them
Old May 2, 2020, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The VS booking reference is EITJIV you can see that in the OP here.
yeah but just above the ticket there’s another reference called “booking reference” VY3OUR that I somehow omitted in OP. So they’re referring to that reference being proof that it’s booked via TG which is correct
Old May 2, 2020, 7:38 am

I have no idea what happens to a ticket after the fact... but generally the airline doesn’t touch the ticket until it comes under airport control. All refund requests usually need to go through TAs. So even if you quote the correct PNR I’m not sure if VS will entertain your request for refund. All VS can tell you (if they want to) is - did TG request a refund and what the status of that refund is.

For a CC reversal - call up your bank and tell them that for the transaction dated XXXX for YYY amount etc. the merchant was supposed to reverse the charge. The merchant has not provided you the service or reversed the charge and you’re calling up the bank after numerous followups with the merchant asking the bank to reverse the charge. Your bank will then guide you through the steps you need to do to get the reversal done - there are some penalties as well if the merchant proves that the service was provided or reversal was done. You will need to provide documentary evidence, if you have responses from TG that will help your case greatly.

Which CC did you use for this transaction?
Old May 2, 2020, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I have no idea what happens to a ticket after the fact... but generally the airline doesn’t touch the ticket until it comes under airport control. All refund requests usually need to go through TAs. So even if you quote the correct PNR I’m not sure if VS will entertain your request for refund. All VS can tell you (if they want to) is - did TG request a refund and what the status of that refund is.

For a CC reversal - call up your bank and tell them that for the transaction dated XXXX for YYY amount etc. the merchant was supposed to reverse the charge. The merchant has not provided you the service or reversed the charge and you’re calling up the bank after numerous followups with the merchant asking the bank to reverse the charge. Your bank will then guide you through the steps you need to do to get the reversal done - there are some penalties as well if the merchant proves that the service was provided or reversal was done. You will need to provide documentary evidence, if you have responses from TG that will help your case greatly.

Which CC did you use for this transaction?
Wells Fargo MC

Don’t have any documentary evidence since they always just spoke on phone
Old May 3, 2020, 1:13 am

A US CC makes it all that much easier for you. Call them even if you don’t have any documentary evidence.

When it’s been so long since TG has been stringing you a long for a ride it’s always good to have some documentation to back your case.
Old May 3, 2020, 1:35 am
Original Poster

A US CC makes it all that much easier for you. Call them even if you don’t have any documentary evidence.

When it’s been so long since TG has been stringing you a long for a ride it’s always good to have some documentation to back your case.
Yeah but the crooks never responded to any emails so how do I get any documentary evidence except the e tickets?
Old May 3, 2020, 1:38 am
Original Poster

oh wait... I just found an old email from them from April 2019 saying the booking has been cancelled. That’s it. No mention about the refund though. Here’s the email:

Old May 3, 2020, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by nevillek
Yeah but the crooks never responded to any emails so how do I get any documentary evidence except the e tickets?
You don’t need an email from the other party saying “I pinkie swear to return OP’s monies”.

If you send anyone (multiple) emails detailing the event and commitments (if any) they have made but not fulfilled, that will always work to your advantage even if the other party has not responded to it. Unless the other party contradicts it either in writing or over a call etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.