Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Please help: Waiting for Jet Airways refund since a year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

My dad had booked this flight from India to US last year in March via Travelgenio, however since Jet Airways went bankrupt, he was not able to take this flight. I have been trying to contact Travelgenio since a year, but they're always unavailable or don't help me with this. Can someone please help me out with what I can do?

Your flight itinerary:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outbound FLIGHT VS 8020 - Virgin Atlantic 04/05/2019
DEPARTURE: Mumbai, IN (Chhaprati Shivaji Intl.) 04/05/2019 01:35
ARRIVAL: London, GB (Heathrow) 04/05/2019 06:45
AIRLINE BOOKING REFERENCE: VS/EITJIV
BOOKING CONFIRMED: , Economy DURATION: 09:40

OPERATED BY: Jet Airways, 9W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FLIGHT VS 4039 - Virgin Atlantic 04/05/2019
DEPARTURE: London, GB (Heathrow) 04/05/2019 09:25
ARRIVAL: Detroit, US (Detroit Wayne County) 04/05/2019 12:48
AIRLINE BOOKING REFERENCE: VS/EITJIV
BOOKING CONFIRMED: , Economy DURATION: 08:23

OPERATED BY: Delta, DL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by nevillek; Apr 28, 2020 at 8:43 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Over a year... I think you’ve made peace with your loss already. So it might be best to just move on. Most OTAs barring a few large ones are just awful at providing any kind of help or support and should be avoided always. Even if there is a small price advantage there.

There’s very little you could do now. What was your payment method you used? The only thing you could do is raise an issue with your bank. I don’t know if even the banks are now going to be willing to entertain disputes.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Well it seems like Virgin is the ticketing carrier in this case, did you try reaching out to them for a refund?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by nevillek
however since Jet Airways went bankrupt, he was not able to take this flight.
it looks like your ticketing carrier was vs so they should have put your father on another flight....i had tons of tickets booked on 9w when they went belly up but dl was the ticketing carrier each time & they very easily put me on an alternative flight each time....
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
it looks like your ticketing carrier was vs so they should have put your father on another flight....i had tons of tickets booked on 9w when they went belly up but dl was the ticketing carrier each time & they very easily put me on an alternative flight each time....
that didn't happen.. we didn't contact Virgin that time... do we still stand a chance?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
that didn't happen.. we didn't contact Virgin that time... do we still stand a chance?
if he didn't show up at the airport or you didn't contact the carrier then you don't stand too much of a chance....there is the possibility that vs tried to put him on another flight but received no response from either travelgenio or you....

have you managed to get any sort of response from travelgenio????
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

if he didn't show up at the airport or you didn't contact the carrier then you don't stand too much of a chance....there is the possibility that vs tried to put him on another flight but received no response from either travelgenio or you....

have you managed to get any sort of response from travelgenio????
3 months back when I called them, they said they have forwarded my request to their refund Dept and will get back within 3 days.. never did
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 months back when I called them, they said they have forwarded my request to their refund Dept and will get back within 3 days.. never did
this is your only chance....vs won't do anything for you now....keep following up with travelgenio....
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:04 am
Original Poster

this is your only chance....vs won't do anything for you now....keep following up with travelgenio....
trying... they’re unreachable by phone right now and don’t respond to support tickets
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

trying... they’re unreachable by phone right now and don’t respond to support tickets
a lot of companies right now are unreachable because of covid-19....wait a bit till things get back to some level or normalcy & then try again....
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yeah I don’t think Travelgenio was going to help then. It’s even less likely they’ll help 1.5 years+ after the fact. OTAs are not going to starting becoming very generous after being out of work for 3 months and having their volumes cut 90% since.

Also, and most importantly, from OP’s statements I don’t think he tried to do enough then.

No matter what Travelgenio said or didn’t at that point of time, VS was obliged to reroute him. Now if VS refused to reroute OP’s father it would be one thing. From what OP’s saying he didn’t try and contact VS till 9 months after the fact. VS would have chalked that up to a no show.

If OP has enough documentary evidence he should try and claim with his CC. That’s his only hope.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Yeah I don’t think Travelgenio was going to help then. It’s even less likely they’ll help 1.5 years+ after the fact. OTAs are not going to starting becoming very generous after being out of work for 3 months and having their volumes cut 90% since.

Also, and most importantly, from OP’s statements I don’t think he tried to do enough then.

No matter what Travelgenio said or didn’t at that point of time, VS was obliged to reroute him. Now if VS refused to reroute OP’s father it would be one thing. From what OP’s saying he didn’t try and contact VS till 9 months after the fact. VS would have chalked that up to a no show.

If OP has enough documentary evidence he should try and claim with his CC. That’s his only hope.
I don’t exactly remember but I may have contacted Travelgenio before the flight departure and they may have told me that they’ll try to get the refund instead of telling me to contact VS... what if I say that to VS/TG?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The travel agent is responsible to get you a refund from the issuing carrier. The ticket value is still there because the flight never took place. You can approach VS and ask if they ever processed the refund. VS is obliged to refund you as they are an EU carrier and when any flight is cancelled, the law provides for a full refund. Technically you have 3 years from the date of issue of the ticket, but I would not push it. Once VS confirms they have refunded the ticket, you have to ask TG where your money is.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The travel agent is responsible to get you a refund from the issuing carrier. The ticket value is still there because the flight never took place. You can approach VS and ask if they ever processed the refund. VS is obliged to refund you as they are an EU carrier and when any flight is cancelled, the law provides for a full refund. Technically you have 3 years from the date of issue of the ticket, but I would not push it. Once VS confirms they have refunded the ticket, you have to ask TG where your money is.
So basically I have no recourse if the travel agent decides to ignore me and not give my money back?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:24 am

This is a flight between BOM & DTW (via LHR) - and traveling to EU on an Indian airline albeit with a ticket issued by a EU member airline - would the EU be involved in this? If the EU is involved UK gives you 6 years to get a refund!

And if you've read some of the reviews on TravelGenio on TripAdvisor etc. they're a fun company to get money back from. So you will have to be very persistent with them to get the refund. And expect them to drive you up the wall.

But save yourself all that hassle... complain to your CC. Especially if TG promised you a refund 1.5 years ago!

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Apr 30, 2020 at 6:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.