Extra baggage on SpiceJet

Old Sep 2, 19, 4:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 18
Extra baggage on SpiceJet

I have to fly on a route that is operated only by SpiceJet and am faced with a 15KG baggage allowance. However, I am flying in from half way across the world and will also be attending a wedding in India. So it is difficult to restrict baggage to 15KG only. Two questions:

Does SpiceJet have any booking channels (perhaps overseas) that allow a higher baggage allowance?
&
How fussy are SpiceJet check-in agents about the 15K free baggage allowance?
JasWon is offline  
Old Sep 2, 19, 11:56 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Goa, India
Programs: Vistara Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Posts: 972
You can pre-book excess baggage at a discounted price provided your international flight(s) are within 24 hours of the SpiceJet flight(s) - https://www.spicejet.com/ExcessBagga...onalOffer.aspx
Anish is online now  
Old Sep 3, 19, 3:18 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,570
Originally Posted by JasWon View Post
Does SpiceJet have any booking channels (perhaps overseas) that allow a higher baggage allowance?
unfortunately not....

Originally Posted by JasWon View Post
How fussy are SpiceJet check-in agents about the 15K free baggage allowance?
extremely fussy....they are very strict on baggage allowance & will likely weigh your hand luggage as well to make sure it doesn't weigh more than what is allowed....
Keyser is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:02 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 973
How is it that SG, as well as others like 6E, get away with 15Kg checked baggage allowance when AI allows 25Kg? And SG allows only 7Kg for your hand baggage - what happens if you have valuable goods like camera gear and/or laptops etc. weighing more which you are unable to check in?
puchong is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:51 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 26,570
Originally Posted by puchong View Post
what happens if you have valuable goods like camera gear and/or laptops etc. weighing more which you are unable to check in?
then you don't fly with spicejet....

but seriously, you are allowed a personal item along with the hand bag so that typically includes stuff like laptops & cameras....
Keyser is offline  
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 1,481
Originally Posted by puchong View Post
How is it that SG, as well as others like 6E, get away with 15Kg checked baggage allowance when AI allows 25Kg? And SG allows only 7Kg for your hand baggage - what happens if you have valuable goods like camera gear and/or laptops etc. weighing more which you are unable to check in?
They’re not “getting away” with anything. They can offer whatever allowance they want. So they even have hand bag only fares. AI offers 25kgs as a differentiator.

And 7kg is standard in almost every non US airlines. Generally they (all airlines) are more lenient with bags which are supposed to be carry-ons. As long as they meet dimension and size and other requirements. But you never know at the smaller airports or with a check-in agent in a foul mood. They can be difficult with anyone - in SG and outside.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread