Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Will India ever have a true luxury airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold

Why is the state of India Aviation SO bad??

- Jet Airways gone bust
- Air India permanently terrible with massive debts

When will we have a decent airline with a proper offering for premium travellers? India has 1.5bn people and massive groing airline demand. The current situation is terrible and frustrating for those of us that are India based
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Vistara is trying like others tried before. Sadly India has one of the lowest revenue per seat kilometer. Air travel competes with II tier AC train travel. Not much luxury can be provided at that revenue. You get what you are willing to pay for.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Vistara is trying like others tried before. Sadly India has one of the lowest revenue per seat kilometer. Air travel competes with II tier AC train travel. Not much luxury can be provided at that revenue. You get what you are willing to pay for.
I was thinking more on the international arline side. I cannot believe that the demand isn't there
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Where is the demand?

Which country has a truly luxury airline today? Maybe a handful of east Asian countries... but that's it.

In India Vistara is your only option if your can call it luxury.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

When I say luxury,I just mean an airline with a decent business class and lounges. I would say the following airlines fit the bill:

Ba. Lufthansa. Air France. Swiss. Iberia. Qatar etc. etc.

Air India is shocking in comparison. I can't believe that better isn't possible
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by enox5
When I say luxury,I just mean an airline with a decent business class and lounges. I would say the following airlines fit the bill:

Air India is shocking in comparison. I can't believe that better isn't possible
I strongly disagree with you on the definition of luxury... BA, LH, LX... really? Besides have you seen their domestic EU product... it's a regular economy class seat + meal that has almost zero value over Y if you have *G or OW status. And then you look at airlines like EY which have started charging for desserts & snacks in Y!

SQ, JL, AN etc. are much better examples of luxury - all very rich countries.

In India 9W was there as is UK. AI is MUCH better than BA, LH etc. on domestic routes for sure - better seats (not cleaner), generally better food and way better service than those angry old women on BA. Given the Indian market is a fraction of those markets because people prefer to take a train to flying it's amazing we have (or had) 3 very decent full service carriers.
NoviceFT and Duck1981 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
EK and SQ have pretty solid hard products out of India.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Producing a quality product like SQ is simply not possible ex India unless you charge a premium (or are willing to make a loss like QR/EK/EY). AI is in the league of CA/TG/etc: its decent enough to make a decent margin. Vistara would be stupid to expand rapidly and make the same mistake(s) like 9W. But then we are talking airline business here...

One half empty B77W flying to the west (EU/US) can destroy your profits of that week. Both AI & 9W found that out in the 2010s.
justforfun likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
As we can see from the recent Jet Star example currently every airline struggles with the low yield market. Whilst I don't have any confirmed market insight, my impression was that Indian domestic travellers are more price sensitive than in other markets (I guess we need to think of average incomes). The cost of maintaining an A320 won't be much cheaper than in Europe on the other hand (given the LH Technik e.g. has a workshop in Sofia, in example). So relatively high fix costs and relatively low yields will provide a very low margin limiting the possibility of big investments in the hard product.

The bottom line might (or will likely) improve once the country develops further.

Internationally it looks a bit different already - with EK providing a good to excellent product, and the likes of BA/ LH leveraging business demand from Europe to India (I was offered to pay £4200 for a J return on BA LHR to HYD - I have declined and used QR for £2,2k instead).
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Why is the state of India Aviation SO bad??

- Jet Airways gone bust
- Air India permanently terrible with massive debts

When will we have a decent airline with a proper offering for premium travellers? India has 1.5bn people and massive groing airline demand. The current situation is terrible and frustrating for those of us that are India based
India’s days of having a national network of flights with the higher service levels of the past are just that for the most part: the past.

I don’t see things getting better any time soon for those who want improved service in the air and on the ground. Indian air travel service levels seem inclined to descend to Indian rail levels of service as of late.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:43 am

Well it's falling everywhere... look at how awesome any of the US airlines are... AA trying to check if you'll cut your legs off so that they can pack more seats in... UA beats up and abuses customers at the first chance they get.

Ryan Air is the biggest airlines in Europe for a reason despite being No. 1 in general awfulness....

I'll be happy if AI can fix their seats and IFE for long hauls... god knows when they're going to get the approvals to do that... but I think they're a pretty decent airlines otherwise. And maybe be better at IRROPS someday but that's asking too much!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:04 am

The Zodiac Aura Lite installed in AI's B787 and B77W does the job, the Aviointeriors Perseus seats in the B77L is pain in every way describable. I hope the babu who took a bribe to decide for that seat gets this seat every time he flies.

The Thales IFE can do more if programmed right, sadly AI needs to pay the license fee for content, and that is not happening.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I strongly disagree with you on the definition of luxury... BA, LH, LX... really? Besides have you seen their domestic EU product... it's a regular economy class seat + meal that has almost zero value over Y if you have *G or OW status. And then you look at airlines like EY which have started charging for desserts & snacks in Y!

SQ, JL, AN etc. are much better examples of luxury - all very rich countries.

In India 9W was there as is UK. AI is MUCH better than BA, LH etc. on domestic routes for sure - better seats (not cleaner), generally better food and way better service than those angry old women on BA. Given the Indian market is a fraction of those markets because people prefer to take a train to flying it's amazing we have (or had) 3 very decent full service carriers.
I agree that BA is not good, but they still wipe the floor with AI (sadly). Intra Europe Business class is terrible for all airlines, but that doesn't bother me, as those flight are mostly sub 2 hours. Also, intra-Europe business fare are often very low.

My point is that there are no Indian airlines with a decent long haul business class. This situation is sad and we deserve better!

There is lots of demand for premium class travel out of Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore. I don't believe that AI is the best that anyone can do.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

none of these airlines qualify as luxury....in their prime, jet & kingfisher were as good (or bad) when compared to these airlines....
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
none of these airlines qualify as luxury....in their prime, jet & kingfisher were as good (or bad) when compared to these airlines....
I agree. But they are comparatively better than AI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.