Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI revised baggage plan to and from Newark to India?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles

Hey is anyone aware of the new revised baggage plane on AI for flights departing/arrival into Newark has went from 2x23 kg's to 1 - 23kg bag, is this because fo the the recent air space restrictions or is AI trying to take advantage of the situation with Jet airways?

Revised Baggage Allowance
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
How are they taking advantage of 9W's situation? 9W hasn't flown to EWR or USA in years. If they wanted to make a quick buck they would charge for the IND - UK/EU routes. That has really opened up for AI. Or the DEL-EWR route because UA has temporarily stopped flying that route. AI isn't opportunistic... they shrug their shoulders and carry on their own way.

It's the airspace problem. Even though it makes little sense because DEL-EWR & DEL-IAD all should have the same problem. Maybe loading on the BOM sector is more esp. for cargo.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i guess this is just another way to make some money....lots of international airlines charge to check-in a second bag....ai seems to be doing the same now....
Dhamal likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I've flown this route with them many many times over the past few years and I can remember at least 4-5 occasions when they weren't able to load everybody's bags because they didn't get the length of runway they needed to take off with a heavy load. Sometimes it was runway work, sometimes rains, visibility etc. I can tell you from first hand experience they do have issues.

I suspect it's the amount of cargo they get from BOM + having to go around PAK - can't be 100% sure of this of course.

If they wanted to make money they would have charged the DEL-EWR route because UA has temporarily stopped flying that route so they're the only direct flight. Most airlines doing BOM-NYC (1 stops) allow 2x23 so all they would be doing with this move is losing marketshare. Then again this is AI...
Dhamal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.