Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Interesting Schedule Change. Flight Time Doubled

Old Oct 5, 18, 9:18 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond

Maybe someone can give any insight to this but I got a schedule change from Air India for our flight from Agra to Jaipur.

The flight is operated by ATR aircraft and covers a distance of 134 miles.

The old flight times were 0830-0930, thus a 1 hour flight.

The new flight times (still nonstop, still ATR) are 1130-1325.

Does anyone have any idea why the flight time doubled? Clearly for this distance I don‘t expect the flight to be that long and neither AGR nor JAI are extremely busy airports.

Any insights are appreciated!
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Most flight times in India are to CYA and very sub optimal. In your case this could also be contingency planning for the winter fog delays.
florens likes this.
Old Oct 6, 18, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its not uncommon....i'm taking a flight today on ai where the flying time in 45 minutes at best but the flight time on the ticket states 1hr & 25 minutes....
florens likes this.
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:38 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Most flight times in India are to CYA and very sub optimal. In your case this could also be contingency planning for the winter fog delays.
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
its not uncommon....i'm taking a flight today on ai where the flying time in 45 minutes at best but the flight time on the ticket states 1hr & 25 minutes....
Thanks for the insight! Very interesting.
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Who flies between these 2 cities? The flight is there only to serve passengers from both cities going to BOM. You can take a train, bus or taxi...Ola will get you there, and maybe Uber also.

I once spent ~24 hours at Agra airport because the airport was fogbound. I don't know if they have better radar now, but it is a minor airport and probably doesn't merit much investment.
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:04 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
Who flies between these 2 cities? The flight is there only to serve passengers from both cities going to BOM. You can take a train, bus or taxi...Ola will get you there, and maybe Uber also.

I once spent ~24 hours at Agra airport because the airport was fogbound. I don't know if they have better radar now, but it is a minor airport and probably doesn't merit much investment.
The fastest trains are very early AM or late PM and still take 4-5 hours when I checked. When I noticed there was a flight I didn‘t hesitate to book it. It was around 1600 INR so not much more than the train or even cheaper.
Old Oct 6, 18, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by florens View Post

The fastest trains are very early AM or late PM and still take 4-5 hours when I checked. When I noticed there was a flight I didn‘t hesitate to book it. It was around 1600 INR so not much more than the train or even cheaper.

Well, if you're going to compare air fares to 1st class AC train prices, you should use F air fares.

A CC (air-conditioned chair car) seat on a 'superfast' train (3pm-7pm, in-town to in-town) is Rs 425.

Of course, personally I would get a car for this route, especially if 2 or more people---that way, no schedule to follow.
Old Oct 6, 18, 3:44 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Well, if you're going to compare air fares to 1st class AC train prices, you should use F air fares.

A CC (air-conditioned chair car) seat on a 'superfast' train (3pm-7pm, in-town to in-town) is Rs 425.

Of course, personally I would get a car for this route, especially if 2 or more people---that way, no schedule to follow.
There is no premium cabin operated on the route so can‘t compare and honestly I don‘t get what your problem is.

We are travelling on 30/10 and I couldn't find a suitable train connection.

Last edited by florens; Oct 6, 18 at 3:54 pm
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

There is no premium cabin operated on the route so can‘t compare and honestly I don‘t get what your problem is.

We are travelling on 30/10 and I couldn't find a suitable train connection.
i guess the point seebuyfly is trying to make is that you will end up spending the same amount of time flying as you would if you hired a car/driver & drove this route....driving would be more convenient....
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:46 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

i guess the point seebuyfly is trying to make is that you will end up spending the same amount of time flying as you would if you hired a car/driver & drove this route....driving would be more convenient....
Ok, fair enough. We will already be driving from DEL to Agra, so not sure if we fancy another long journey on the road. That's why we bought the plane ticket. However, I might buy a throwaway train ticket just in case as contingency, should there be a lengthy flight delay.
Old Oct 7, 18, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, fair enough. We will already be driving from DEL to Agra, so not sure if we fancy another long journey on the road. That's why we bought the plane ticket. However, I might buy a throwaway train ticket just in case as contingency, should there be a lengthy flight delay.
i see no reason for a flight delay around the time you are traveling....flight delays are common during fog season which won't hit the area before mid december....
Old Oct 7, 18, 7:46 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

i see no reason for a flight delay around the time you are traveling....flight delays are common during fog season which won't hit the area before mid december....
Ah. I thought the schedule change was for contingency due to potential fog.
Old Oct 7, 18, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah. I thought the schedule change was for contingency due to potential fog.
very unlikely....why would you think that????
Old Oct 7, 18, 12:31 pm

The OP has little knowledge of India and it may be his/her first trip:
...and honestly I don‘t get what your problem is.
. He/she has a lot of surprises coming.
Old Oct 7, 18, 1:17 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Because it was suggested upthread.

The OP has little knowledge of India and it may be his/her first trip:. He/she has a lot of surprises coming.
I really don't get your attitude so this will be my last post here as clearly any further discussion is pointless.

Search this Thread