Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Can a USA-issued credit card be used to buy tix on AirIndia.in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Update: I answered my own question. I found that a US-issued Visa card (BoA/Merrill) worked. The AirIndia system, apparently, has some bugs/ineptitude in how it handles US-issued AmEx, though.

Hello.

I was hoping that someone here who'd used AirIndia online ticketing from the USA might know if the website accepts USA-issued credit cards

I've done a bit of searching and did not see if this has been covered here/recently

I am trying to buy tickets for flights within India. I am trying to purchase online from the USA, using an American Express card issued by Penfed, a major credit union in the USA. When I try to finalize the order on AirIndia.in (with American Express selected from the drop-down menu), the payment processing system forwards briefly to an "American Express Safe Key" logo site, and then returns to AirIndia.in that displays a "payment error" message.

Online chat with AirIndia : CSR says international cards should work for purchase.
Phone call to AirIndia toll free USA number: CSR says only India-issued cards will work.
Phone call to my bank: they see no evidence that any transaction was even attempted by AirIndia.

I could potentially try a non-AmericanExpress card, or a Visa. But I was hoping that someone here who'd used AirIndia online ticketing from the USA might know if the website accepts USA-issued credit cards. Thanks!

Last edited by fw10001; Jun 21, 2018 at 9:21 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:52 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The problem is with the payment verification gateway of amex and some times visa. Depending on what your card provider has set up there is usually a verification step before the payment is cleared (entering a password/phrase, a code sent to you by sms text message etc). It seems many US bank have that verification step switched off for their customers. I have noticed that if such step is deactivated (prime example: Chase switched off 'secured by visa') then the airline will not accept payment for fear of fraud.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
this is a well known problem with ai & has been around for a very long time....amex cards issued outside india do not work but others do....
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I used to stress over these issues, but life is too short for all that. Just buy your tix from any major OTA, from Expedia (India) to ClearTrip / MakeMyTrip. Those are businesses, without sarkari attitiude and service.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:39 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
I bought a ticket (domestic travel) on AI site using my Amex card (issued in the US) last month. I do have safe code enabled for my Amex account. So, I am not sure if that mitigates some of the craziness with buying tickets on AI site using Amex.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I have been able to use Chase cards to purchase tickets on Air India's site, but even though there is a choice to pay in either USD or INR, I cannot choose to pay in INR (which Chase recommends in order to save on the Foreign Transaction fee).

Definitely carry the International Credit Card that you used to purchase the ticket on the day of travel. While, in my experience, AI seldom checks, they are supposed to. Another domestic carrier (Spice Jet, IIRC) gave me a rather hard time when I had lost the card I made the reservation with and did not have a letter from the card issuer that they were giving me a replacement card! Wanted me to buy another ticket and have the card issuer deal with the airline for refund. I did not, and I forget the details of the interaction (its in a post on this forum), but best if you have the card on you when you travel.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by knit-in
I have been able to use Chase cards to purchase tickets on Air India's site, but even though there is a choice to pay in either USD or INR, I cannot choose to pay in INR (which Chase recommends in order to save on the Foreign Transaction fee).
You can pay in INR - there's just a tricky checkbox you need to make sure to leave unchecked on the currency selection page.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: SK*D
I've been able to use a variety of UK based cards on the AI website without any trouble.

As for the currency conversion, the best way to go about it is to let the transaction take place in its default currency. For instance, a recent BOM-LHR J fare was priced at the equivalent of £730, but in INR (around 64,000 if I remember correctly). The option was to pay in INR+fees from my card issuer or pay the "converted" price of £785. Obviously, no cars issuer is going to charge £55 for foreign transaction and the covetedco fare is almost never in the customer's favour.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Related question: I'm trying to buy a ticket on AI.com from Europe to India which I want to pay with netbanking and it seems if you book a flight from outside India netbanking does not appear as a payment option. The debit card issued to me by HDFC on my NRO account is a Rupay, so that is not accepted at all (only domestic flights).

Can one of you make a dummy booking from CPH/ARN/VIE/FRA to DEL in March and see if netbanking is shown as an option?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Are you able to price the ticket in INR? Unless you can do that you should not be able to get a netbanking option.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:17 am

Ah, gotcha. Thats annoying.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:45 am

Finally managed to buy 2 or the 4 tickets I need on via.com. It seems there is a limit on Net Banking at about 1.8 lac.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Finally managed to buy 2 or the 4 tickets I need on via.com. It seems there is a limit on Net Banking at about 1.8 lac.
all these messages are dated... its virtually impossible to do this post pandemic from the US because the ticketing process errors out at Payment time...

You spend an hour trying to get to the payment part and then you have to start all over again, and you NEVER succeed...

Calling their phone means waiting for HOURS...

Still, they're the only Mileage plus partner and they can and do get away with it.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:50 am

Vistara is also a UAMP partner if that is what tingles…
superboi likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Vistara is also a UAMP partner if that is what tingles…
Vistara is happy to take biz away from AI.... however, they are not *A

Spoke to Vistara... On the return, since Vistara is the primary carrier, they will fleece you for the second suitcase...(if luggage is not booked through to destination on your way IN, they will ALSO fleece you to take you to your in-country destination). Their baggage fee for the in-country round trip will set you back by about 40,000 INR.

Flyer beware

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.