Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

INTL travel: Multiple tickets through check-in from India??

Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT

Is it possible for check-in agents in India to through check you to final destination if you are on two separate tickets?

In my instance, i have two tickets: 1) BLR-HKG on CX and 2) HKG-DFW on AA..

both are OW so theoretically it should not be a problem.. I've previously done this on 9W and AA from BOM-LHR-ORD but never from BLR..

any successful experiences on people doing something like this from BLR?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:31 am

Absolutely no problem

Oneworld and especially AA has very generous separate tickets policy. From the AA website:

AA to/from AA or a oneworld Carrier
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

By all counts, you should be checked in right upto DFW in BLR itself with both boarding passes issued and baggage tagged till destination. Rest easy!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Neil Shah
By all counts, you should be checked in right upto DFW in BLR itself with both boarding passes issued and baggage tagged till destination. Rest easy!
i'm not so sure....it all depends on the check-in agent....i've had problems with one world carriers in the past with separate tickets....technically it can be done though....
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
OP, your BLRHKG flight is actually KA,not CX.

CX/Del can do for sure, personal experience..(DEL-HKG-JFK to a separate AA ticket ex JFK). KA should be no different.

Just like any other CX port (done through checks @SIN/JNB/SFO/JFK/ORD)..Just be polite and insistent, ask for a supervisor if needed. Could pull the oneworld-oneworld line,though CX has never given me issues to Star/Skyteam carriers either-as long as there's an interline agreement.
AA policy only comes into play when starting with AA- on the return perhaps, where some Agents might not know what Dragonair is (just show the oneworld page!).

Last edited by jagmeets; Apr 29, 2016 at 8:18 am
Old May 1, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Thanks for the feedback folks.. Will report success/failure after travel..
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:20 am

I did BLR-DEL-HKG (AI) + HKG-TPE(BR) on separate tickets. BLR AI guys had a tough time as I was insisting *A and showed email correspondence with AI HKG manager and EVA Air. They have same-day-interline baggage agreement. BLR guys struggled and at last through checked my baggage to TPE and also gave HKG-TPE boarding pass.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
One world NO longer requires carriers to thru checking bags on separate tickets (I think this change happened sometime in June).

To make things further complicated, the checkin guys at BlR are not as competent as those at say DEL.

I recently checked in from BLR to ICN with a 22 hour stopover at SIN. The itinerary was BLR-KUl-SIN-HKG-ICN (blr-Sin MH and sin-ICN on Cx) all business.

The checkin guy failed to check my bags thru to ICN and could only checkin to SIN. His reason was he doesn't know how to do it (didn't think it was possible) and isn't sure if the bags will reach ICN or not. I had enough time in SIN and was anyway going to town just to meet friends so I accepted to check bags only to SIN.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
One world NO longer requires carriers to thru checking bags on separate tickets (I think this change happened sometime in June).

The checkin guy failed to check my bags thru to ICN and could only checkin to SIN. .
This would be an issue for someone not taking a stopover in SIN/ having a short connection or not having any visa to enter SIN..
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
This would be an issue for someone not taking a stopover in SIN/ having a short connection or not having any visa to enter SIN..
Totally agree with you.

The inability to handle thru checkin even on a single ticket is very concerning, compounded by the fact that most people flying out of India need a Visa to almost everywhere.

Imagine a family going on a trip via SIN and the checkin agent tells them, if you don't have a Visa to pick the bags and recheck in SIN, I am not sure what will happen to your bags.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:10 am

Totally agree with you.

The inability to handle thru checkin even on a single ticket is very concerning, compounded by the fact that most people flying out of India need a Visa to almost everywhere.

Imagine a family going on a trip via SIN and the checkin agent tells them, if you don't have a Visa to pick the bags and recheck in SIN, I am not sure what will happen to your bags.
Sorry but are you sure of no through-checkin even on a single ticket ?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Sorry but are you sure of no through-checkin even on a single ticket ?
It just happened to me last week at BLR, carrier was MH upto SIN and CX from SIN it was a single ticket (single PNR/ticket #).

Here is the conversation (not exact words):

Agent: I can only check your bags to SIN as there is a stopover
Me: No, it's not a stopover, it's transit as I am landing in SIN at 10:20 AM and leaving at 8:00 AM which is less than 24 hours
Agent: Sir, today is 19th and your flight from SIN is on 21st, how can I check your bags to ICN?
Me: Today's date doesn't matter, what matters is how long I am in SIN
Agent: (asks his boss, who agrees they should thru checkin my bags).
Agent: OK sir, I have checked your bags to ICN, but please verify at SIN about your bags
Me: verify? With whom
Agent: (has no answer) then says, MH baggage team
Me: Where and who?
Agent calls his boss
Boss: does something on computer and prints baggage tags and says all set, your bags will go directly to ICN. You will have to get BPs from CX in SIN
As I started leaving, the agent came running to me
Agent: Sir, can I check your bags only to SIN? I have no idea whether the bags will reach ICN or not. You are anyway going to SIN so it's should be easy for you
Me: (scared of spending hours each day with their support) OK
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:56 am

It just happened to me last week at BLR, carrier was MH upto SIN and CX from SIN it was a single ticket (single PNR/ticket #).

Here is the conversation (not exact words):

Agent: I can only check your bags to SIN as there is a stopover
Me: No, it's not a stopover, it's transit as I am landing in SIN at 10:20 AM and leaving at 8:00 AM which is less than 24 hours
Agent: Sir, today is 19th and your flight from SIN is on 21st, how can I check your bags to ICN?
Me: Today's date doesn't matter, what matters is how long I am in SIN
Agent: (asks his boss, who agrees they should thru checkin my bags).
Agent: OK sir, I have checked your bags to ICN, but please verify at SIN about your bags
Me: verify? With whom
Agent: (has no answer) then says, MH baggage team
Me: Where and who?
Agent calls his boss
Boss: does something on computer and prints baggage tags and says all set, your bags will go directly to ICN. You will have to get BPs from CX in SIN
As I started leaving, the agent came running to me
Agent: Sir, can I check your bags only to SIN? I have no idea whether the bags will reach ICN or not. You are anyway going to SIN so it's should be easy for you
Me: (scared of spending hours each day with their support) OK
Looks like a newbie agent. I doubt supervisor would not know that baggage can be tagged all the way through on a single ticket
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They can tag the bags all the way to the final destination, you were just supposed to report to CX in SIN and say you have bags so they can add it to their system.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Looks like a newbie agent. I doubt supervisor would not know that baggage can be tagged all the way through on a single ticket
The agent did speak to his supervisor and still asked me to check only to SIN.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
They can tag the bags all the way to the final destination, you were just supposed to report to CX in SIN and say you have bags so they can add it to their system.
He had nothing to tell me, just said when you arrive in SIN, check there (without saying who to check with and what, it way too risky).

btw: for my reference, what should bag tags read that i can check to ensure they are correct?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
btw: for my reference, what should bag tags read that i can check to ensure they are correct?
in ur case to ensure it reaches the end destination and is tagged correctly, should be reading KUl - SIN-HKG-ICN .. with respective flight numbers and dates..
Airlines will also ususally add tags for short / long transfers etc..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.