Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to fly Air India....Shall I go for it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program

Ok....I will be the first to admit that when Air India finally got its own B77W and B77L's, I thought this is finally it, they are serious about change. They introduced excellent F and J hard products at the time and I really fancied the chance to fly in them.

However, the onboard service has been by all accounts a let down and the recent introduction of the B787 dreamliner and the very average J product was a severe let down. In addition, the recent trip reports in J have shown Air India service to be pretty poor.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I have to travel to both Bangkok and Delhi in August for work and have an opportunity to fly in Air India J. With regards to Bangkok, the direct options are EVA Air, Thai or BA. With regards to Delhi, the competitors are Jet J (not quite sure what they are like these days) or Virgin.

Shall I go for it?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Despite their less than stellar reputation with some, I love 'em. Been flying them since 1974 and they remain an outstanding air travel experience.

Worldspan
Naples, Florida
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Having not flown AI for a number of years, took a couple of long-haul flights in J cabin (77W and 787-8) last year. In fact, I was quite happy with the product and service. I recall had to do a retro claim (UA) for the miles, but other than that no issues. Food was fantastic in my opinion.

If you haven't flown on AI for a while, why not give it a try and see how things go?

Incidentally, just did VS DEL-LHR in J last month. While this was mainly for the novelty value, it was interesting to test-drive the 787-9.

I presume TG have retired the A340-600, so the product on LHR-BKK should be fine. Not sure what BR use on the route, but at least Star miles on offer...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:29 pm

Being ex-Virgin Atlantic, I'd naturally recommend it; combines product and service. I've found its bed to be the best to sleep in, good shoulder room and no kinks in the middle. The LHR-DEL flight is night-time so sleep-ability is important.

Having said that, I'd avoid it if the plane is an A330, the product isn't as good.

As for AI, flew them once in 1984, wowed never to fly them again. Stayed that way. Indian govt run organisations will always have spotty service.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: Blasé..
For BKK - It has to be between BR B777 vs TG A380 - both have decent hard products but lately I felt BR scored by a whisker on Service & Food. Plus a more convenient timing of 9.30pm departure so that you can end day and take an overnighter where as TG is at noon around 12pm I assume - but gives you a chance of full day at BKK as arrival is early morning - BA is just out of scope unless you want to fly F.

For DEL - It has to be AI any day above 9W/VS. 9W service is rather more inconsistent than AI these days and has become highly unpredictable along with a stinky B777. VS has a good hard product but again service/food would leave a lot to be desired.

With AI - you get decent flat beds, decent IFE (don't expect EK ICE) and good Indian Food if you are a fan for it and the service has been consistent in my recent 6/7 flights. Also you may save few ££££ on AI for sure - As with me I have always found it to be at least 300-400£ cheaper than the lot in J.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Bioflyer; Jul 2, 2015 at 3:17 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i end up taking 10-12 long haul flights on ai every year....i'm quite happy with their j product....the seat is comfortable, food is better than most other airlines on this route & service in the air is good....
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
LHR-DEL would be either a B77W or B788.
DEL-BKK is B788.
J on either would be good.
Should help get a higher tier on AI / *A.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
LHR-DEL would be either a B77W or B788.
DEL-BKK is B788.
J on either would be good.
Should help get a higher tier on AI / *A.
Already have OW sapphire in the bag and the choice is now OW Emerald or OW sapphire and Star silver?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by d3vski
However, the onboard service has been by all accounts a let down and the recent introduction of the B787 dreamliner and the very average J product was a severe let down. In addition, the recent trip reports in J have shown Air India service to be pretty poor.
787 biz class is a full flat bed. That's a pretty good starting point!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I am going to go for Air India on the DEL journey. Will report back how it goes.

If all goes well, I will give them a go fora future trip to Bangkok.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I'm also considering burning some UA miles on the JFK-DEL flight in Business at the end of the month. Since time is not of such essence, the other flights in consideration are the one stop on Swiss and Lufthansa (FRA-DEL on the 380). Any preferences?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
I'm also considering burning some UA miles on the JFK-DEL flight in Business at the end of the month. Since time is not of such essence, the other flights in consideration are the one stop on Swiss and Lufthansa (FRA-DEL on the 380). Any preferences?
Absolutely Swiss or Lufthansa over Air india - just check the seating configuration for Lufty to make sure it is the reconfigured version with the full flat beds.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Absolutely Swiss or Lufthansa over Air india - just check the seating configuration for Lufty to make sure it is the reconfigured version with the full flat beds.
I believe it is the A380 from Frankfurt to DEL, with the Premium Economy cabin. I hear great things about the Swiss A330 biz seats as well.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
I believe it is the A380 from Frankfurt to DEL, with the Premium Economy cabin. I hear great things about the Swiss A330 biz seats as well.
I like Lufthansa, but prefer the Swiss lounge in ZRH. Either way, I'd ditch Air India... the other two will have better food, better wines, better IFE, better beds.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I like Lufthansa, but prefer the Swiss lounge in ZRH. Either way, I'd ditch Air India... the other two will have better food, better wines, better IFE, better beds.
How about the option of EWR-LHR on UA Global First and LHR-DEL in Biz on the AI 787, for only 10,000 more points? It's a seven hour layover in LHR, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.