Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to fly Air India....Shall I go for it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opportunity to fly Air India....Shall I go for it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by knit-in
How about the option of EWR-LHR on UA Global First and LHR-DEL in Biz on the AI 787, for only 10,000 more points? It's a seven hour layover in LHR, though.
Wow, tough call.

All things considered (and I've actually had some pretty good UA GF flights), I think LX/LH are going to offer a consistently better product than UA connecting to AI. AI is ok, but it's really just a bed. Service is genuinely friendly and attentive, but they just don't have that much soft product to work with.

(If there was an option to take UA the whole way in GF, I'd take that over LX/LH biz however.)
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
If you are willing to mix & match, AI flies to LHR, FRA, CDG, BHX, MXP, FCO from DEL! All except LHR are operated by B788. LHR is 1x B788 + 1 B77W daily.

You got plenty of transit options between JFK/EWR and DEL. Since, it's a mileage redemption, try something out of the blue- like an airport you haven't been to or maybe an aircraft type you haven't flown on.

Do report back on what you finalise!

PS: In the past week, AI's vintage B744 operated twice on DEL-JFK along with a couple of flights on DEL-DXB as well. But these were unplanned swaps. Unpredictable
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM

PS: In the past week, AI's vintage B744 operated twice on DEL-JFK along with a couple of flights on DEL-DXB as well. But these were unplanned swaps. Unpredictable
I assume it was only between BOM-DEL and not all the way to JFK - preparatory for PM's Uzbek/Russian trips.

Most common flights that are swapped are AI101/102 for positioning a/c (mainly B744 for President/PM travels) in BOM/DEL.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bioflyer
I assume it was only between BOM-DEL and not all the way to JFK - preparatory for PM's Uzbek/Russian trips.

Most common flights that are swapped are AI101/102 for positioning a/c (mainly B744 for President/PM travels) in BOM/DEL.
As per FR24: VT-ESP flew DEL-JFK on 03rd and again on 08th.

AI1 is being operated by VT-ESO.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Wow, tough call.

All things considered (and I've actually had some pretty good UA GF flights), I think LX/LH are going to offer a consistently better product than UA connecting to AI. AI is ok, but it's really just a bed. Service is genuinely friendly and attentive, but they just don't have that much soft product to work with.

(If there was an option to take UA the whole way in GF, I'd take that over LX/LH biz however.)
There is the option to fly LH all the way in F, I think. It's more than what I would like to spend in points though.

What kind of a lounge does AI have in LHR for Business? Its a 6 hour layover if I do take the UA/AI route.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:43 am

If you are willing to mix & match, AI flies to LHR, FRA, CDG, BHX, MXP, FCO from DEL! All except LHR are operated by B788. LHR is 1x B788 + 1 B77W daily.

You got plenty of transit options between JFK/EWR and DEL. Since, it's a mileage redemption, try something out of the blue- like an airport you haven't been to or maybe an aircraft type you haven't flown on.

I have never flown LX. Never traveled to or transited in Zurich. Perhaps that's the way to go. But I am also tempted to fly on the 380 upper deck on LH.

I will certainly post what I finally decide, although it will eventually end up being what is available on the day of booking, since my date of travel is still somewhat up in the air.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is the option to fly LH all the way in F, I think. It's more than what I would like to spend in points though.

What kind of a lounge does AI have in LHR for Business? Its a 6 hour layover if I do take the UA/AI route.
if you haven't flown LH F before, don't give the points a second thought! it'll be the trip of a lifetime... worth 2x any business class.

The first class terminal in Frankfurt, the service and food on board. LH F is probably one of the top two First classes in the world. If you can score a 747-400 (rather than the newer 747-800 model) even better!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov

The biggest problem with AI is the unreliability. They regularly push back the evening flight from SIN to BOM to 1 am, 2 am, 3 am. They have twice pulled complete flights - as planes were sent to Syria for evacuation in one case, and as plane was needed as backup for PM's regular foreign trips.

Booking an AI connecting to another * alliance carrier could become a disaster, IMHO.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:46 pm

if you haven't flown LH F before, don't give the points a second thought! it'll be the trip of a lifetime... worth 2x any business class.

The first class terminal in Frankfurt, the service and food on board. LH F is probably one of the top two First classes in the world. If you can score a 747-400 (rather than the newer 747-800 model) even better!
It's actually not even twice the points for business.
If I were able, I would, of course. And your description makes it sound even more enticing. The NYC-FRA is on a 747-8 though.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon

Booking an AI connecting to another * alliance carrier could become a disaster, IMHO.
That was, indeed, one of my main worries. The connecting from UA to AI. It's enough time, though, so I regarded my fears irrational. But I see that you share them too.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's actually not even twice the points for business.
If I were able, I would, of course. And your description makes it sound even more enticing. The NYC-FRA is on a 747-8 though.
I was meaning it would be worth it to take just one trip overseas on LH F rather than have two trips in business (one now and saving points for later!)

That was, indeed, one of my main worries. The connecting from UA to AI. It's enough time, though, so I regarded my fears irrational. But I see that you share them too.
Deaprting from the anywhere in Europe you are covered by EU261, so delays will either be minimised (alternative flights or carriers) or you'll get some hefty compensation. I wouldn't be too concerned about connections/departures ex Europe.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:01 pm

I was meaning it would be worth it to take just one trip overseas on LH F rather than have two trips in business (one now and saving points for later!)

Deaprting from the anywhere in Europe you are covered by EU261, so delays will either be minimised (alternative flights or carriers) or you'll get some hefty compensation. I wouldn't be too concerned about connections/departures ex Europe.
Ah, I see.

Both your points are well taken. Thank you for all your input. ^
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:45 pm

Avoid LHR, if you plan to connect onwards onto an AI flight.

AI is still at LHR T4, while all other *A carriers are at T2. The delay has something to do with the contract of their lounge at T4, which is due to expire later this year. Following which they should move to T2.

The AI Lounge at T4 is pre-security. Nothing fancy, but functional. Isn't operational 24x7, but opens up a few hours before STD.

On a side note, have you considered the flying F on LH via FRA. The LH F lounge is awesome i hear.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:06 am

Avoid LHR, if you plan to connect onwards onto an AI flight.

AI is still at LHR T4, while all other *A carriers are at T2. The delay has something to do with the contract of their lounge at T4, which is due to expire later this year. Following which they should move to T2.

The AI Lounge at T4 is pre-security. Nothing fancy, but functional. Isn't operational 24x7, but opens up a few hours before STD.

On a side note, have you considered the flying F on LH via FRA. The LH F lounge is awesome i hear.
The LHR info is good to know.

LH in F was discussed just a few posts above.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:06 pm

Update:

Thanks for all your advice on this NYC-DEL award trip. While the final result did not include AI, I feel i must update here as I had promised to. I have booked a combo of UA Global First (777) to FRA, connecting to LH Biz (A380) to DEL.

While there is still a chance that I'd have to delay my trip by a day, in which case, the only option besides AI (via BOM in J) would be Austrian via Vienna in J (opinions?), I think its worthwhile to block this UA F+ LH J combo.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.