Wiki Posts
Search

AI Missed connection saga

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
AI Missed connection saga

I booked JAI-DEL-LHR with AI, 4 pax in F. JAI-DEL on AI 611 connecting to AI111 the same day, connection time was almost 4 hours when ticketed but became less than 3 hours due to schedule change. Tickets booked in F bucket.

Due to fog issues, I was worried that AI 611 could be delayed. I spoke to AI and they assured me that I will be rebooked on the next available flight on any star alliance carrier in case of IRROPS. LH was showing F8 to FRA and F6 to MUC ex-DEL, LX was F4 so I assumed that in case of misconnect we will be rebooked on one of these the same night.

On the day of departure the flight was showing on time at 0830 (it is a hopping flight departing BOM at 0900). My hotel called AI and confirmed that the flight was going on time so I decided to go to JAI rather than drive to DEL which would take anything from 3.5 to 7 hours depending on traffic.

We reached JAI, the flight was showing 1230 departure instead of 1125. I was assured by the station manager that a message has been sent to DEL and they will wait for me. 9W flight was also delayed so we had to sit it out in JAI until AI leaves as there were no other options.

The real trouble started when AI 611 was delayed further. The departure became 1530 and now it was sure that we missed AI 111. I checked with AI JAI, they assured me that we will be taken care of in DEL and rebooked.

We landed in DEL at 1620, there were three people waiting for us at the gate. They collected our hand baggage from us and told us that they are our support staff. I asked them about our flight connection, they told me not to worry, everything will be taken care of. We went to collect our bags, and one of the support guys called a senior who spoke to me over the mobile.

This lady told me that we have been booked into a hotel, we can go there and rest and AI will come back to me with new flight details. She told me that they are looking at options for us- there is no availability with AI either the next day or day after so they need to see how we can be rebooked. I told her there is availability with LH and LX- I was told that either I can do the booking myself, AI will endorse the ticket to the carrier- or leave it to them to sort it out. I was told that it is my choice and was curtly disconnected.

Now I got worried because I expected to be rebooked onto one of the LX/LH flights leaving the same night rather than be sent away and wait for information- which basically meant that I will be at their mercy. After speaking to the support staff and insisting that I need to speak to somebody and get rebooked before we leave the airport, they told me they will take me to rebooking desk.

After some discussions, the support staff offered to take me to rebooking which is located in departure level. They put our bags, my wife and two kids at the arrivals level and told me they will take me to departures for rebooking.

This is when the fun started.

The security guy at the departures wanted my ticket- he said my flight is gone, so he cannot let me inside. My AI support explained to him that I missed my flight and they are taking me to rebooking. We were shooed aside and there was some heated discussions and according to my AI support guy, he was threatened by the security guy with arrest if he tried to argue with him for anymore.

The AI guy went to speak to the head of security, who came back and told the security guy to let us in.

My passport was scrutinized several times from several angles, my ticket checked multiple times, and for my benefit my support was warned in English that he better watch out or will be in trouble.

We managed to reach departures rebooking at about 1730, one hour after arrival. That place was a zoo with lines of people and only two people manning the windows (6 were empty). My support went to look for his senior and I was left to watch the fun.

It was chaotic and tempers were short- at some point people were banging on the windows and shouting and police came over to cool tempers.

Around 1830, my support came back- he told me that his senior will be in shortly. They decided to bring my wife and kids over rather than make them wait at arrivals as they had been sitting there for more than two hours now. They managed to get reunited with me around 1900.

Around 1930, the senior came. This was a lady in her middle ages, with a younger apprentice in tow. I explained to her that there is availability with LH, this is a flex F fare LH or LX will be happy to carry as they are flying empty. She told me that she has no access to international reservation systems, she will have to go and speak to LH personally when the LH counter opens which will be around 2200 hrs. After half an hour of discussions, we agreed that we will be booked on AI 115 the next morning, two in F and two in J and will be put up in the transit hotel inside. I can come down and check around 2200 myself to see if LH will carry us all in F. She told my support staff to get us inside, put our bags at AI checkin separately so that we dont have to lug it around and told me that if we decide to go with LH the bags will be transferred to LH.

Now we had the same issue to get inside. The security shooed us (and our support) away- no amount of explanation would do because we did not have a valid ticket as my flight AI 111 was gone hours ago.

After some more phone calls and 30 mins later, a lady appeared with BPs for AI 115 the next day- the security guy said we are too early and cant go inside, so once again the head security honcho had to be fetched. He said it was ok, so we went inside, our bags were tagged and kept aside and AI counter staff suggested that I come down and check with LH when their counter opens and AI will endorse my tickets to them.

The four of us and three support staff went to the transit hotel- we were told that there was no reservation for us. After several to and fros and consultations and another 30 mins, we were told that there was no room in the domestic side of transit hotel, so we need to go to the international side.

By now it was 2030. We went to the passport control, were told we can not enter as we are flying AI115 the next day and we will be allowed to enter only 6 hours before the flight.

Our helpers went back, some AI staff came to argue with passport control and by 2100 they gave up and told us that they will put us up in a good hotel outside and arrange transport for AI115 the next day- 2 confirmed in F and two in J. I decided to drop the flying LH idea as we were too tired.

One of the support staff went to arrange hotel- he took our passports as well with him.

By now my kids were tired, my wife was telling me to book hotel ourselves as the insurance will cover it, but there was no sign of my helper who had my passports so we were stranded.

Finally the guy came back at 2145, told me everything is ready and out we go- but we cant get out of departures of DEL airport!!

Security shooed us back in, my support guys went back to get some higher ups and after several arguments, the security let us out, only after copying down our names, passport numbers etc. on a ledger they keep. This copying down took a good 10 mins as it was most likely done by an illiterate who was reading each letter aloud and writing it, one letter at a time.

Around 2230 we turn up our hotel- a dump called Shanti Palace. By this time my wife is near ballistic as we got a closet of a room. I marched to the reception to ask for something bigger as there are four of us. They have a suite but they cant give it to us- I am happy to pay the difference (suite is GBP 100, our room is GBP 30). AI cant authorize a suite. Finally we end up with two rooms and hit the bed at 2300ish as we are too tired to look for a new hotel for a few hours and my kids are fast asleep.

And guess what- my bed had bed bugs!!! They must have extracted at least 500 cc of my blood before we checked out at 4 am. Luckily my wife and kids slept in the bigger room which was bug free.

We were again taken through passport control and security with two helpers, seen off at the gate and off we go to LHR. AI op-uped my son at the gate so only I ended up in J.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Oh dear, classic AI, at least you had assistance because you were in F.

I told her there is availability with LH and LX- I was told that either I can do the booking myself, AI will endorse the ticket to the carrier- or leave it to them to sort it out.
This is the point you should have got on the phone with LH/LX and ask to be put on their flight. *A partners don't need endorsements due to irreg, one of the very few *A ground rules. @:-)
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:47 am

Typical AI.

Just surprised the amount of time they were taking for each step. Any logical person would have been pretty close to getting insane.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
went through something similar with ai about 5 years ago....flying del-nyc via bom & my del-bom flight got delayed resulting in me missing the international flight....they booked me into a hotel since i was flying in f but i went through the same thing trying to get out & back in the airport....

this is typical ai....it was the same thing 5 years ago & will probably be the same 5 years later....
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
This is the point you should have got on the phone with LH/LX and ask to be put on their flight. *A partners don't need endorsements due to irreg, one of the very few *A ground rules. @:-)
I didn't know this- clearly AI didn't either
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
Typical AI.

Just surprised the amount of time they were taking for each step. Any logical person would have been pretty close to getting insane.
AI spent a lot of time (3 helpers x 7 hours always with us) but clearly they were clueless as to what to do. It should have taken max 1 hour to rebook us onto something else and send us off to a hotel (I was planning to go to Westin Gurgaon on my own dime as insurance would cover it)- instead we spent 7 hours in the airport.

To be fair, the staff were dealing with misanthropes in security who were rude beyond imagination (more to the staff than pax). As the evening wore on, the younger staff were very apolegetic and one of my helpers even told me he is ashamed of the way AI is handling this and would completely understand if I don't ever set my foot in a AI plane again and AI deserve to go bankrupt if this is the way they treat F pax.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by LonLH
AI spent a lot of time (3 helpers x 7 hours always with us) but clearly they were clueless as to what to do. It should have taken max 1 hour to rebook us onto something else and send us off to a hotel (I was planning to go to Westin Gurgaon on my own dime as insurance would cover it)- instead we spent 7 hours in the airport.

To be fair, the staff were dealing with misanthropes in security who were rude beyond imagination (more to the staff than pax). As the evening wore on, the younger staff were very apolegetic and one of my helpers even told me he is ashamed of the way AI is handling this and would completely understand if I don't ever set my foot in a AI plane again and AI deserve to go bankrupt if this is the way they treat F pax.
Agree.. lately they have been trying harder atleast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.