Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP on AI in business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
SOP on AI in business

I took a few flights to Europe and one to Hong Kong in J a few months ago. I was given an amenity kit half the time but not other times. I was served course wise ( separate main course plating) twice ( to london and from Paris) but not other times, when the food even came with the tinfoil intact. I received a menu 70 per cent of the time but the rest they just rattled off the offerings. The alcoholic beverage offerings also appeared to vary.

So on AI, Are business class offerings and service protocols flight specific or there a SOP? If the latter does anyone know what it is?
Also If there is a standard list of. J beverages, does anyone know what are these? ( spirits and beer-- I appreciate wines may vary and I note the champers has been Mumms)

Appreciate any insights from experienced AI travellers

Last edited by rathin100; Apr 10, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Unfortunately there is no standard SOP with AI... Menu's are sometimes not printed or loaded and often incorrect. I can't remember the last time I saw a winelist even in AI F class. Meals are usually served in J premium economy style on one tray with everything after a nuts and drink service.
Bar's are often not fully loaded sometimes they even have told me that the champagne was not loaded or it has been served at room temperature... sadly they don't have their act together and anything good on AI comes from the crew taking an extra effort with passengers which is become rarer and rarer nowadays.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Yes but why compare short / medium and long haul J offerings?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I think AI longhaul is catered based on what they have available at that point and the crews make the best of it. If the printed menu doesn't match what is catered, they improvise. Depending on the crew the final result varies
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:16 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
does pilferage play a part as well? I was reading the book written by ex-AI ED Bhargava and while it is one big rant, it states that there was huge amount of pilferage by staff on the wines and liquor. so, they keep what they like and offer the rest to us?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
This is getting a bit irritating ... I'm frequently forced to fly AI or choose inconvenient timings or a longer route with transit on a first class airline. Like the rest of government in India they seem to really have a problem in getting basic systems in place to deliver routinely.
Still, mustn't complain.. At least I not have to face the same inconsistencies in government service delivery in important things like water supply health education etc.... Wait a minute... Is 9W just as inconsistent?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rathin100
Wait a minute... Is 9W just as inconsistent?
9w is definitely more consistent than ai but then again, 9w takes incompetence to a whole new level....
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by A2A
does pilferage play a part as well? I was reading the book written by ex-AI ED Bhargava and while it is one big rant, it states that there was huge amount of pilferage by staff on the wines and liquor. so, they keep what they like and offer the rest to us?
Yes it does!!! AI pulled caviar from first for this reason. I was on an LHR-JFK flight 8-9yrs ago, and caviar was listed on the menu but not served... when I asked for it, I was told it wasn't loaded... later on during a walk to the galley I tins of caviar being placed into thermo packs to be taken I am guessing back to the Mumbai black market for sale...
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
9w is definitely more consistent than ai but then again, 9w takes incompetence to a whole new level....
Interesting.... For example?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avm2806
Yes it does!!! AI pulled caviar from first for this reason. I was on an LHR-JFK flight 8-9yrs ago, and caviar was listed on the menu but not served... when I asked for it, I was told it wasn't loaded... later on during a walk to the galley I tins of caviar being placed into thermo packs to be taken I am guessing back to the Mumbai black market for sale...
Good heavens, what an obscenely corrupt country, corruption seems to unify everyone! I guess the cabin crew are only pilfering what is theirs to pilfer while the bureaucrats and politicians get on with the more serious pilferage
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rathin100
Interesting.... For example?
here is a thread with various examples....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...eir-touch.html

here are a few of my favourites:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21397253-post264.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21584186-post55.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22375552-post1207.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21867804-post1123.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20456862-post819.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20369693-post747.html
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Wow! Tanks for the heads up!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:30 pm

and Keyser and I were the biggest Jet Fan's / Ambassadors on here a few years ago - today we both warn against flying Jet. If that is any indication of how low they have gone...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Great flight on AI 348 DEL PVG

In all fairness I must report I had a great DEL-PVG on AI yesterday. Good lounge Fabulous service great drinks great food ( all served with tinfoil intact but India is not a great country for style, utility is the national culture, so thats OK i guess) menus amenity kit everything was good. Clean bathrooms functional IFE. When Air India is good its a top service airline.

And this with 17/18 full in J ( 787) with lots of sleazy sarkari upgrades so you can imagine the trauma for cabin crew.

I will report on my return flight tomorrow too.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:19 am
Original Poster

PVG Delhi not so good... OK lounge ( Shanghai airlines), quiet, plntiful but stodgy food, only beer and crap chinese wine... close to gate. Boarding late even though flight landed early then a combination of sloppy cargo loading, tech malfunctions and ATC delays meant a 2 hour delayed departure. No menus. Yes amenity kits Excellent service great food comfy seat working IFE and toilets.

So I decide to try them again to Shanghai in June ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.