Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India and the Star Alliance [Pre-confirmation discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India and the Star Alliance [Pre-confirmation discussion]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 2:47 am

Any insider updates on this? I am planning to fly US-India-US at the end of June and Air India seems to have prices that are cheaper than competition. Will fly if I can earn UA miles.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Usually it can take up to 60 days to sort out the membership and miles to be earned on various partners. Probably if you fly in July you might get the miles, again depends on the class of service. Certain classes may not earn any miles.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:49 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by leonidas
Any insider updates on this? I am planning to fly US-India-US at the end of June and Air India seems to have prices that are cheaper than competition. Will fly if I can earn UA miles.
considering the next meeting of *A CEOs is 23 june, this is not happening in June.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
just saw a report that AI is giving free tickets to its current 24000 employees and ther family ( how do we define a FAMILY in India. ? ). They have also extended these benefits to employee families of those who have passed away ....

True ? What impact will this have on its profitability ? Seats and in particular award seats availability ? Impact on Star A joining ?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by HMPS
just saw a report that AI is giving free tickets to its current 24000 employees and ther family ( how do we define a FAMILY in India. ? ). They have also extended these benefits to employee families of those who have passed away ....

True ? What impact will this have on its profitability ? Seats and in particular award seats availability ? Impact on Star A joining ?
Probably no impact on profitability. And why such a negative attitude towards employees receiving perks for working at an airline. Every airline in the world offers cheap or free tickets to employees. Air India employee do not help themselves but "free" tickets are not something to argue over as if Air India employees are getting a perk which no other airline employee in the world gets.

For reference, at AA, approximately 1 million persons were eligible for cheap or "free" travel. And in F, J, or Y.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by d3vski
Probably no impact on profitability. And why such a negative attitude towards employees receiving perks for working at an airline. Every airline in the world offers cheap or free tickets to employees. Air India employee do not help themselves but "free" tickets are not something to argue over as if Air India employees are getting a perk which no other airline employee in the world gets.

For reference, at AA, approximately 1 million persons were eligible for cheap or "free" travel. And in F, J, or Y.
Cheap is the keyword in your statement above. AI report was. Free tickets to employees, family even after the employee has passed away. As I asked, how do we define family in India ?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by HMPS
As I asked, how do we define family in India ?
AI provides "FREE" international tickets for Spouse/Children/Son-in-law/Daughter-in-law/Grandchildren usually in F or J and if not then definite Y. Its a more than generous perk IMO as AI is a State owned airline and answerable to the people. AA is not and is a private company - it can do whatever it want.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by techblr
AI provides "FREE" international tickets for Spouse/Children/Son-in-law/Daughter-in-law/Grandchildren usually in F or J and if not then definite Y. Its a more than generous perk IMO as AI is a State owned airline and answerable to the people. AA is not and is a private company - it can do whatever it want.
We all know how much skulduggery goes on in Govt owned entities. The culture of who you know is very widespread. Hence the question what defines a family , not in rules but in practice. Note also these benies continue after the death of the employee.

Yes there are perks when you work in some industries. For example in US / Canada if you work and retired from an auto manufacturer you get to buy cars at a discount . Your limited family gets that too. But understand the car company can and does audit a dealer's books and when terms are violated , there is always a chargeback.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: KFEG, UK Silver
Thumbs up

^ Formal announcement is expected tomorrow - Air India joins star alliance
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
AI has started to show up on *A's internal website for its employees: http://www.starallianceemployees.com...-airlines.html

Also many newpapers pointing out the formal joining to be effective July 11 and that the Minister for Civil Aviation will make an announcement on Thursday.

But nothing yet on Air India or Star Alliance websites.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Air India and the Star Alliance [2014 onwards]

Press release now up on the *A website and an announcement on the *A Facebook page about an hour ago confirms they will officially join the alliance on July 11.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:18 am

Good thing I've moved my business mostly to EK
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Enjoyed AI on CCU-DEL this past Saturday, all their flights on that route that day were 90-120 min late. They gladly rebooked me to an earlier flight that was running late too. They key argument was that I would miss my LH connection... The sup basically said to another agent: 'take him to Mr. ... ask him to rebook onto AI701 since he will miss a *A connection'

This will be a great thing to connect to *A in DEL and BOM from secondary cities with check thru etc. Not to speak of the various error fares AI has in the system ex C2
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Enjoyed AI on CCU-DEL this past Saturday, all their flights on that route that day were 90-120 min late. They gladly rebooked me to an earlier flight that was running late too. They key argument was that I would miss my LH connection... The sup basically said to another agent: 'take him to Mr. ... ask him to rebook onto AI701 since he will miss a *A connection'

This will be a great thing to connect to *A in DEL and BOM from secondary cities with check thru etc. Not to speak of the various error fares AI has in the system ex C2
Happy news! As Jet pulled out of my city, Air India will be my only domestic connector, Reduces my hassle of additional bookings, luggage etc. Their service is better than UA anywayz
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I'm still in the camp of I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.