Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India and the Star Alliance [Pre-confirmation discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India and the Star Alliance [Pre-confirmation discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ashishp
Hearing rumors of DEL-SVO starting up and a seasonal GOI-SVO with 332/788 eqpt. Also double dailies into FRA and IST!

is this linked to Star entry?
How is SVO an indication of Star entry?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How is SVO an indication of Star entry?
Should have separated the two: Double dailies into FRA and IST!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Jet Privilege
DEL-SVO, along with DEL-FCO-MXP-DEL should have started by now. Knowing AI expect little hoopla and promotion before routes are launched.

So far I see nothing in Global GDS for summer schedule also.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:18 pm
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Hearing rumors of DEL-SVO starting up and a seasonal GOI-SVO with 332/788 eqpt. Also double dailies into FRA and IST!

is this linked to Star entry?
Double daily to ist? There is not even a daily or a weekly flight as of now. Doubt AI will start a route with double daily. MXP and FCO tenders had been issued almost 5 months back. However, instead of starting new routes, AI replaced the 777-200 eastern routes (tokyo, shanghai and hong kong) with the 787 resulting in the new routes not opening.

At the moment by march 3 news 787's are expected out of which 1 will start the bom-lhr route on 31st march. Unless AI gets more than 14 787's, ( there is talk of the remaining 13 787's not coming to AI) i dont see these routes opening up. And instead of a double daily, i would rather FRA goes on to the 777-300.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI already codeshares to FRA & IST, especially the former will soon get A380 service soon (when LH gets their two new aircraft this summer) so AI would be stupid to add additional seats (of their own) on that route(s). IMHO the A380 decision was always linked to the *A discussion, so expect some details on that front this summer. TK bumped India-IST capacity from a A332 to B77W recently.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:02 am
Used to be shahadil

DME flight.

So i happened to be on the air india tender website and noticed tender for various services at moscow. Interestingly, it is for DME and not SVO. As per tentative schedule air jndia is planning 4 flights a week on either the 787 or the 77L from Del to Dme. 0130 departure from del and arrival around 1545 back to delhi. Flights are expected to commence 1st March as per tender document. I dont actually expect it to begin then, but its a start. And the document has been issued today.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by oliver2002
TK bumped India-IST capacity from a A332 to B77W recently.
Any idea if TK is planning more destinations in India?

I hope AI has some plans for a change of colors/logo. The current one is such an eyesore.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:16 am

+1 re TK in India.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
there is talk of the remaining 13 787's not coming to AI
Whoa! Really?

Last year, there was some talk of converting 12 due after 2015 to 787-9's adjusted against "compensation".
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Any idea if TK is planning more destinations in India?
TK only has an allowance of 1500 seats in 7 flights a week under the current bilateral, with an Indian carrier allowed the same. I would assume that they paid AI to use their share (indicated by the codeshare on the DEL/BOM-IST flights) and the wetlease of 9W aircraft to BOM is also to cover some issues with the bilateral. In any case unless India & Turkey renegotiate the bilateral there is no room for expansion.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:53 am
Used to be shahadil

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak

there is talk of the remaining 13 787's not coming to AI

Whoa! Really?

Last year, there was some talk of converting 12 due after 2015 to 787-9's adjusted against "compensation".

Everyone I know has been saying what I just said. I personally believe that it will never happen. AI desperately needs these jets. If they don't take them, they might as well shut down.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:30 am

TK only has an allowance of 1500 seats in 7 flights a week under the current bilateral, with an Indian carrier allowed the same. I would assume that they paid AI to use their share (indicated by the codeshare on the DEL/BOM-IST flights) and the wetlease of 9W aircraft to BOM is also to cover some issues with the bilateral. In any case unless India
& Turkey renegotiate the bilateral there is no room for expansion.
Does the codeshare count fully for the bilateral purposes? Interesting if so.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:05 am

AI always has been selling their bilateral rights to other foreign airlines for cash or code/revenue share seats. They have a nice list here: https://www.flyingreturns.co.in/html...=partner&al=LH
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:37 am

AI always has been selling their bilateral rights to other foreign airlines for cash or code/revenue share seats. They have a nice list here: https://www.flyingreturns.co.in/html...=partner&al=LH
Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0S27X20140129

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.