Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Domestic Connection at Delhi: Baggage Transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:54 am
Original Poster

I am currently planning on transiting through DEL with Air India.

First flight from ATQ arrives at 08:10 and next flight to Mumbai leaves at 09:00. Is the 50minuute layover enough for my check luggage to make it?

Is Air India reliable in assuring checked luggage make the connection?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
I've done a dom-intl connection 9w/9w with similar time. So it can be done - the dodgy part is AI doing it
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mahme
I am currently planning on transiting through DEL with Air India.

First flight from ATQ arrives at 08:10 and next flight to Mumbai leaves at 09:00. Is the 50minuute layover enough for my check luggage to make it?

Is Air India reliable in assuring checked luggage make the connection?
if your first flight is not delayed then you will be fine....

more info on connections here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...-airports.html
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:12 am
jar

Programs: UA 2M
Originally Posted by avm2806
I've done a dom-intl connection 9w/9w with similar time. So it can be done - the dodgy part is AI doing it
Despite all the (probably deserved) derogatory things you hear about AI, my fairly limited experience with them is that their baggage handling is not as bad as you would expect. I've had baggage make a similar connection with them.

Having said that, I would carry anything with me that I absolutely had to have.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Luggage Transfer at Delhi with Air India

I am flying Air India from Amritsar to Mumbai with a 110 minute layover in Delhi Airport.

Our flight from ATQ will arrive at DEL at 8:10AM and our next flight to BOM leaves at 10:00AM.

My question is how reliable are checked baggage transfer at Delhi airporrt? 1 hour and 50 minutes should be plenty enough time for the checked luggage to be transfered to our next flight... However, since we have so much time, I could also only check the luggage to Delhi, and then, pick up the bags and re check them in Delhi Airport onto our next flight (the advantage being that in case our second flight is delayed, we have the option of booking another flight with another carrier...)...

Any advice would help.. I'm mostly intersted in hearing from people who have connected domestic to domestic with Air India and checked bags...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

In the end, the ATQ-DEL leg was delayed 1h10min, so we ended up missing our connection anyways...

What was very strange is that upon check-in, the luggage tags were for DEL. When I noticed, I told her to check them all the way to BOM, but was told that our plane would actually land in the international side in Delhi and that we would have to collect our luggage and recheck it...

Indeed, when we landed, we had to go through immigration (showing them our boarding pass from the ATQ-DEL leg was enough to be waived through...

This was probably best, since we collected our bags, we were able to buy tickets on another airline to arrive in BOM sooner..

Just for reference, out of 5 flights we flew in India, 4 were delayed 30minutes or more. The weather was perfect during our entire stay, so I'm not sure what the problem with Indian airport and airlines is, but it was pretty underwhelming!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
lack of runways, mostly - so there's a lot of congestion in the air.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
AI Intl - Domestic Baggage Transfer - Delhi T3

Hello,

Has AI started the facility of baggage drop in intl arrivals for connection pax?
This is required when there is a big gap ( 6-10 hrs) between international arrival and domestic flight and a baggage drop is very helpful specially when the pax already has the domestic boarding pass.

I recall a AI cabin on the extreme right of the intl arrivals but not sure whether that is for bag drop or only missing bag reporting.

Any clue ?

Thanks,
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI Intl arrivals in T3 can drop their bags for domestic connections, just after leaving the customs area on the left, besides the elevators that lead up to the domestic checkin area.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AI Intl arrivals in T3 can drop their bags for domestic connections, just after leaving the customs area on the left, besides the elevators that lead up to the domestic checkin area.
Thanks for the reply..
You mean these are airline counters for accepting domestic connnection bags, so pax can handover the bags there for later flights and leave the airport ?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, they are 2-3 desks on that level where you come out. They can do both.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, they are 2-3 desks on that level where you come out. They can do both.
thanks for the response..appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.