Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI's Dreamliner debut delayed by two months [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AI's Dreamliner debut delayed by two months [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Nobody wants to piss of GoI.

India is a cash cow for CO, I see no reason why they would risk their position by attacking AI.

Whether *A is still interested in AI, that remains to be seen...
With just 2 CO flights to India every day? (1 each into BOM/DEL)

These flights are normally full, but I wouldn't consider them to be cash cows - otherwise Jet would have also started the non-stops into EWR...

(And they should, actually - I would be the first one on it - so that I can eliminate the BRU stopover! Just flew EWR-BOM on CO and it was really great in C!

However, ground service sucked totally, and I now experienced the mayhem at EWR which I had previously watched from a distance some months ago - posted in the thread in the India forums.

Also waited over 30 minutes for my suitcases - if you can believe it! LH gets mine out in less than 5-8 mins)
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
With just 2 CO flights to India every day? (1 each into BOM/DEL)

These flights are normally full, but I wouldn't consider them to be cash cows - otherwise Jet would have also started the non-stops into EWR...

(And they should, actually - I would be the first one on it - so that I can eliminate the BRU stopover! Just flew EWR-BOM on CO and it was really great in C!

However, ground service sucked totally, and I now experienced the mayhem at EWR which I had previously watched from a distance some months ago - posted in the thread in the India forums.

Also waited over 30 minutes for my suitcases - if you can believe it! LH gets mine out in less than 5-8 mins)
AI and CO more than cover the demand.

It is very expensive to fly ultralonghaul routes like that, because you have to carry the fuel for the whole journey. Flying with a stopover in Europe is much more economical.

Therefore, most airlines prefer to stop over. 9W, etc. And that's why LH, BA, etc. can afford to price more aggressively.

Oversupplying on ultralonghaul is a recipe for bankruptcy, and that's why there aren't more seats available in that segment.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
AI and CO more than cover the demand.

It is very expensive to fly ultralonghaul routes like that, because you have to carry the fuel for the whole journey. Flying with a stopover in Europe is much more economical.

Therefore, most airlines prefer to stop over. 9W, etc. And that's why LH, BA, etc. can afford to price more aggressively.

Oversupplying on ultralonghaul is a recipe for bankruptcy, and that's why there aren't more seats available in that segment.
Exactly.

However, in the melee I was surprised how many people I spoke to wanted to fly non-stop, but after having done the trip, it was just like my old favorite SQ21/22, albeit this flight being only close to 14 hours rather than the 16.5-18 hours...

(SQ boycotted for years now...Jet and LH now get my revenue)
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:21 am

Air India looking for $230 million bridge loan for Dreamliner deal

Air India, which is expected to be the first of the launch customers of US aircraft maker Boeing's 787 Dreamliners, is looking at a $230-million bridge loan for financing the deal.

Cash-strapped Air India, however, plans a sell-and-lease-back arrangement for the new aircraft that Boeing will start delivering from next month.
http://www.domain-b.com/aero/aero_ge...iner_deal.html
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Despite the turbulent delivery set up for the 787s, AI seems to be ready with a deal to take delivery: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fl...cast-boei.html
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:55 am

Looks like I have a trip on AI in May... would love to check out the 787 if it makes it over in time. Anyone know what routes they're expecting to use it on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.