Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI's Dreamliner debut delayed by two months [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AI's Dreamliner debut delayed by two months [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by A2A
And a few days/months/years later, Times now will report how corrupt AI was, to even sell away its plane options and delivery schedules for some cash.
My reference was to IT not AI but your point is well taken!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Hilarious because AI most likely won't receive 787s?
Yep, thats one aspect, the other is the oddity how the sane procedure of upgrading the 777 pilots skills to 787 is skewed by insider deals.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yep, thats one aspect, the other is the oddity how the sane procedure of upgrading the 777 pilots skills to 787 is skewed by insider deals.
I think that was to be anticipated. I don't think we can expect anything better in terms of the management of AI. Corruption, nepotism, and incompetence seems to be the life-blood of this airline.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rathin100
My reference was to IT not AI but your point is well taken!
That's precisely the point. AI will do the same exact thing as IT does. AI will get bashed by the media. IT will be complimented for [insert generic reason here]. Rinse, lather, and repeat.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Did AI get the cash from the markets to pay for the 787 deliveries?
There is no money left. I think they will have delayed the 787 deliveries.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
There is no money left. I think they will have delayed the 787 deliveries.
There is always money.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
That's precisely the point. AI will do the same exact thing as IT does. AI will get bashed by the media. IT will be complimented for [insert generic reason here]. Rinse, lather, and repeat.

I get your point, fair point
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
There is always money.
Its amazing how much money the Indian govt is willing to sink into this money pit when so many of their people live in crushing poverty. I wonder how many schools can be built for the price of these 787's.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:21 am

AI doesn't have money to pay for 787s

Did a quick scan and didn't see this story posted...
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...ion%20Minister

Debt-ridden national carrier Air India does not have the funds to pay for the 27 Boeing 787s it has ordered, Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar Ravi said Sept. 9, a day after the country’s nodal public auditing agency flayed the state-run airline’s hasty expansion plans.

“The decision to acquire a large number of aircraft was risky and has contributed predominantly to the airline's massive debt liability,” the comptroller and auditor general (CAG) said in a report sent to parliament on Sept. 8. The fleet acquisition process also took an “unduly long time,” the CAG said (Aviation Daily, Sept. 9).

Ravi, in reacting to this report, says that the delivery of the 27 aircraft had been delayed by Boeing for three years. He did not specify whether the order would be confirmed or canceled, but made clear that if these aircraft were delivered, there is no money to pay for them.

“I don’t have the money to pay ... I cannot beg the finance minister all the time for the money. It is difficult. This is the position now. The government cannot say we are confirming or we are rejecting,” the minister said in an interview on a local news channel. The delivery of the first Boeing 787 to Air India is reported to have been further delayed by two months to December.

The CAG report tabled in parliament last week takes the Civil Aviation Ministry to task for a faulty and hasty expansion plan that involved funding the purchase of new planes with debt or loans, calling it a “recipe for disaster.” The CAG said this led the airline to its current financially crippled state. To a suggestion by the CAG that Air India be left alone by the government to have a chance for survival, Ravi says the ministry will intervene to look at profitability, admitting that it is currently difficult to meet payroll. “This is the situation, that is the interference. You must understand our problem,” he said.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Now the US Exim Bank is getting into trouble for providing export guarantees for AI:

U.S. carriers oppose subsidy for Air India's Boeing buy: report

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:24am EST

(Reuters) - U.S. airlines have opposed the U.S. government's subsidies to debt-laden Indian state carrier Air India AIN.UL for its purchase of Boeing (BA.N) aircraft, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AD0DT20111114
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:57 pm

ATA has taken its opposition to the loan a step further.

New York: A powerful trade body for America’s largest airlines, Air Transport Association (ATA), sued the Export-Import Bank of the United States on Wednesday to halt a pending deal for $3.4 billion in loan guarantees to debt-laden Air India for its purchase of new Boeing aircraft.

The legal action was not entirely unexpected as the ATA had earlier fired a zinger at US Ex-Im Bank chairman Fred Hochberg through a letter.

The trade group sought an injunction on Wednesday in the district court of Columbia to stop financing for Air India arranged by the Ex-Im Bank. It alleged that the bank didn’t seek public comments or consider the impact on the US airline industry before approving $1.3 billion in loan guarantees and $2.1 billion in preliminary commitments to support the sale of Boeing planes to Air India, including 27 Boeing 787s for delivery by 2015.
US airlines sue bank to block $3.4 bn Air India loan guarantees

U.S. airlines seek to block Air India jet purchases
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:08 am

Not impressed.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:51 am

Interesting quote from Wall Street Journal.

The complaint could also create a split among U.S. industry players. It said the withdrawal of Delta Air Lines Inc. from its New York to Mumbai service was a direct result of Eximbank-supported capacity introduced on the route by Air India.

However, United Continental Holdings Inc. continues to fly the route. United did not sign a recent letter sent by the ATA to Eximbank.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...337244578.html

Looks like UCH does not want to piss of the Aviation Ministry or *A is still interested in AI.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:35 am

Nobody wants to piss of GoI.

India is a cash cow for CO, I see no reason why they would risk their position by attacking AI.

Whether *A is still interested in AI, that remains to be seen...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:42 am

had exim bank not extended the facility, we would hv seen WSJ articles on how due to lack of financing, the B787 order is in doubt leading to a revenue decline for an American company in these tough economic times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.