The Air India Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:21 am
Original Poster

The Air India Fiasco

Privatize AI to save it from itself.

http://tinyurl.com/4pzhqa8
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:42 am

Unfortunately there's not much online except for the standard right wing screed against unions, and the second paragraph starts with "The real problem isn't what the union is demanding. "
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Angry

I dont read the WSJ and I most certainly will not subscribe to it, but Air india's problems are not just the Unions They are only one manifestation of what AI is about: Its what the airline is run for -- AI is run first to provide bureaucrats with freebies, second to provide management with freebies, third to provide jobs to those with connections to get them fourth to provide employees with freebies.

The costs to the public exchequer are truly staggering A right wing or perhaps feudal dream... money draining away from roads schools hospitals water into a mess of an airline that serves no public purpose and leeches public resources.. If it cannot be privatised it shoudl be closed down and its assets auctioned off. Not one more paisa of public money should be allowed to be sucked into this black hole.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
The bailout given to them was a moral injustice in a country like India.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:52 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by UA Fan

+1
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
But just like other injustices in India (like politicians scamming billions, Politicians going free despite committing murders and rapes) this just falls into place just nicely with the Indian attitude.

No one seems to care despite how poorly the people are treated.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by cover point
this just falls into place just nicely with the Indian attitude.
its got less to do with the indian attitude & more to do with how the rich & powerful can turn the tide in their favour....
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Exp- 4MM; UA 1K; BA Gold; 9W Plat; SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond; LH FT; DL Gold
The rot is mgmt, unions and owners/politicians

You can't blame the unions alone. There is enough blame for all stakeholders including the shareholders.

There was an expose on how the senior leadership got their kin hired under subisidiaries that pay higher allowances. The unions want rewards without helping build a surviving airline. The politicians want the unlimited business and first class privileges and free tickets and they seem to fleece the airlines.

I don't see how AI can be viable and self-sustaining unless it prunes itself and becomes a small focused carrier. They seem to survive month to month on government grants and equity infusion.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:40 pm

[QUOTE=gmailflyer;16063434]You can't blame the unions alone. There is enough blame for all stakeholders including the shareholders.

There was an expose on how the senior leadership got their kin hired under subisidiaries that pay higher allowances. The unions want rewards without helping build a surviving airline. The politicians want the unlimited business and first class privileges and free tickets and they seem to fleece the airlines.

QUOTE]

^^^ Add bureaucrats they are the worst of the breed
Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CC, HH DM, SQ SLTRE, BonvoyTit, UK SL, VS Wings, UA, DL, AA
IC existence used to be justified in that it provided national service by flying to those destinations that private carriers wouldn't fly.
Today, private airlines are flying everywhere, connecting remote parts better than most and actually making money doing IT.

AI is a shame to the nation - especially given what it once was.
I think we should shut them down, auction of assets to IT/9W and the like, and let them just go away... seriously AI is a joke and star alliance absurd for picking them over 9W.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by avm2806
I think we should shut them down, auction of assets to IT/9W and the like, and let them just go away... seriously AI is a joke and star alliance absurd for picking them over 9W.
Keyser... sun rahe ho?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by UA Fan
+1 ( or 2 ?)

Originally Posted by Keyser
its got less to do with the indian attitude & more to do with how the rich & powerful can turn the tide in their favour....
+1..
But then again, this is there in most countries around.. the rich and powerful always try ( and mostly succeed !!) to get the tide in their favours..
Remember the 2008 credit crisis.. how much fine did this top bankers etc have to pay as a % of their fraud !! how manyy were sent to jail ?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
IC existence used to be justified in that it provided national service by flying to those destinations that private carriers wouldn't fly.
Today, private airlines are flying everywhere, connecting remote parts better than most and actually making money doing IT.
ai operations need to be taken away from the government & we will see a difference....

I think we should shut them down, auction of assets to IT/9W and the like, and let them just go away...
i wouldn't quite agree with this....i definitely rank 9w/it over ai but i haven't quite given up on ai yet....

seriously AI is a joke and star alliance absurd for picking them over 9W.
their ground service is a joke & i completely agree with the star alliance bit....

Originally Posted by rathin100
Keyser... sun rahe ho?
sun raha hoon....there are times when i don't know why i defend ai but sometimes i come across excellent service & at the end of the day flight comfort means more to me than anything else....& ai delivers here....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Keyser

sun raha hoon....there are times when i don't know why i defend ai but sometimes i come across excellent service & at the end of the day flight comfort means more to me than anything else....& ai delivers here....
Agree with you mate.. i wouldn't say all my flights on AI have been bad..There have been some decent ones.. and some of the old fogies as well still go about their service routine without snapping at you when you ask for that second beer.. !!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
If AI were privatized, GoI couldn't possibly pull this stunt.

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/policy/ki...urne-route-176

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.