Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet airways strict about baggage weight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet airways strict about baggage weight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Weird - my sis just booked an economy LHR-BOM-HKG/HKG-BOM-GOI/GOI-BOM-LHR ticket on 9w.com all on one ticket and the LHR segments show 46kgs baggage allowance while all the other segments show 20kg. I suppose she's going to be limited to 20kg then?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Savage25
Weird - my sis just booked an economy LHR-BOM-HKG/HKG-BOM-GOI/GOI-BOM-LHR ticket on 9w.com all on one ticket and the LHR segments show 46kgs baggage allowance while all the other segments show 20kg. I suppose she's going to be limited to 20kg then?
if she is not breaking her journey on any one of the sectors then she will be fine with the 46kgs allowance....
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by saad
i guess the big bold writing of my name, designation & law firm on my files bag gave me away....
Wachtell?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Originally Posted by saad
if she is not breaking her journey on any one of the sectors then she will be fine with the 46kgs allowance....
Will she be?

Or is it that for the outbound trip from LHR, she will be fine with 46 kgs, but for the inbound trip, she will be constrained by the first leg, so 20kgs for return?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Gemuse
Will she be?

Or is it that for the outbound trip from LHR, she will be fine with 46 kgs, but for the inbound trip, she will be constrained by the first leg, so 20kgs for return?
she should get in touch with jet before her first flight....it would be very strange if she were allowed more on one leg & less on the other when flying on the same airline....
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Will she be?

If on the inbound to LHR, if the India to LHR leg allows 46kgs and she is connecting domestically to the intl flight, then she will be allowed 46 kgs on that connecting 9W flight also..
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
If on the inbound to LHR, if the India to LHR leg allows 46kgs and she is connecting domestically to the intl flight, then she will be allowed 46 kgs on that connecting 9W flight also..
correct....

if she is on the same pnr then even on her domestic leg she will be allowed the international baggage allowance....
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Savage25
My son has the same issue with LHR-BOM (46kgs), BOM-COK (46kgs), GOI-BOM (20kgs), BOM-LHR (46kgs). When he queried it with Jet their response was:

Please be advised that on the website we do the combination of different fares together in order to provide the cheapest fare to our guests.
Therefore the baggage allowance varies as per the fare rule and hence we are unable to provide a single baggage allowance on the entire ticket.

They did not confirm if the allowances were per passenger or the total allowance for the two passengers on the booking (i.e. 23kgs and 10kgs pp). Jet airways web site is not much help either. Any ideas anyone?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
My son has the same issue with LHR-BOM (46kgs), BOM-COK (46kgs), GOI-BOM (20kgs), BOM-LHR (46kgs). When he queried it with Jet their response was:
Jet airways web site is not much help either. Any ideas anyone?
From the above, i guess ur journey is from LHR - COK with a change in BOM.. and then return leg from GOI - LHR with a change in BOM..
If this is the case and the return leg is on jet airways itself and on same PNR, then u will be allowed 46kgs on the GOI - BOM leg also..I hv myself done it earlier and infact it was on different PNR's but intl flight within 12 hrs of the domestic flt..
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:53 am

From the above, i guess ur journey is from LHR - COK with a change in BOM.. and then return leg from GOI - LHR with a change in BOM..
If this is the case and the return leg is on jet airways itself and on same PNR, then u will be allowed 46kgs on the GOI - BOM leg also..I hv myself done it earlier and infact it was on different PNR's but intl flight within 12 hrs of the domestic flt..
Thanks for that. So can I assume it's 46kgs per person then?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SteveF
Thanks for that. So can I assume it's 46kgs per person then?
yes..
u can also check that in the ticket conditions which should be there in the e-ticket.. u will be having separate e-tickets for each person and each shd be having the weight limits mentioned..
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:34 pm

yes..
u can also check that in the ticket conditions which should be there in the e-ticket.. u will be having separate e-tickets for each person and each shd be having the weight limits mentioned..
Thanks - I'll get my son to check.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

If the weight allowances on the ticket is different (eg 20kgs), then isnt a passenger assuming a risk by thinking 46kgs will be allowed ---- cant Jet airways at the airport charge much Rs Rs Rs saying only 20kgs written on ticket etc?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:42 am

If the weight allowances on the ticket is different (eg 20kgs), then isnt a passenger assuming a risk by thinking 46kgs will be allowed ---- cant Jet airways at the airport charge much Rs Rs Rs saying only 20kgs written on ticket etc?
IME, whenever you are flying a domestic leg connecting to or from an intl leg and its under the same PNR and travel within 24hrs of the intl leg, the allowance for the intl leg is allowed.. It used by many folks who travel from their home town to Delhi /Bom/Blr to connect onwards and I have also used this multiple times..
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:52 am
Original Poster

IME, whenever you are flying a domestic leg connecting to or from an intl leg and its under the same PNR and travel within 24hrs of the intl leg, the allowance for the intl leg is allowed.. It used by many folks who travel from their home town to Delhi /Bom/Blr to connect onwards and I have also used this multiple times..
Why does the ticket show a different thing? It seems a simple enough rule that the ticketing software should be able to handle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.