Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page > Jet airways strict about baggage weight?

Jet airways strict about baggage weight?

Reply

Old Sep 28, 10, 6:42 pm
  #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: United
Posts: 88
Jet airways strict about baggage weight?

I am allowed to carry 28kgs baggage; how strict is jet airways about this? An extra kilo or two ok?
Gemuse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 10, 10:34 pm
  #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Jet Privilege - Silver
Posts: 817
An extra kilo or two should be ok..have had to pay up only when i've been over the limit by say 15kgs. and upwards..
quarryking is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 10, 11:02 pm
  #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: All over India
Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Posts: 814
Originally Posted by quarryking View Post
An extra kilo or two should be ok..have had to pay up only when i've been over the limit by say 15kgs. and upwards..
Probably an excess of up to 5-7 kgs might be waived, IMO (as opposed to 15). They are stricter on international segments, as compared to domestic, but the 5kg rule probably holds there as well, unless it looks like you're carrying heaps of electronics, etc.
aniruddh77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 4:11 am
  #4
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Jet Privilege - Silver
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by aniruddh77 View Post
Probably an excess of up to 5-7 kgs might be waived, IMO (as opposed to 15). They are stricter on international segments, as compared to domestic, but the 5kg rule probably holds there as well, unless it looks like you're carrying heaps of electronics, etc.
Agree with you.. they are pretty strict on the international segments. I tend to overdo it of course (hauling back a drum set on one of my trips)..no amount of smiling and sweet talking worked..!!
quarryking is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 5:33 am
  #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 24,530
Originally Posted by Gemuse View Post
I am allowed to carry 28kgs baggage; how strict is jet airways about this? An extra kilo or two ok?
a few kilos will be ok....i once had to pay extra for 5kgs & this other time i was about 15kgs overweight but they still let me go....i guess it depends on the person checking you in....but usually they stick to their rule....
Keyser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 10:31 am
  #6
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 706
Having paid 19,012 Rupees in excess baggage charges on a PNQ-BOM-BHO recently this is what 9W allows typically.

if you dont have any status the check in agent is allowed to waive a maximum of 3kg per pax. Rest is a baggage fee. You might check in 23 kgs and carry on the extra 4 kg. I am only aware of a 20 kg / 30 kg (J/ Plat) baggage allowance on domestic sectors for checked baggage.

If you have status or in business class they allow extra 10 kg on domestic sectors.

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/MY/Plan...Allowance.aspx

Ofcourse if you can sweet talk your way they might not charge anything extra.
rsh913 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 11:50 am
  #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: All over India
Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Posts: 814
Originally Posted by rsh913 View Post
Ofcourse if you can sweet talk your way they might not charge anything extra.
And that works more often than one might think...
aniruddh77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 12:03 pm
  #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 24,530
Originally Posted by rsh913 View Post
Having paid 19,012 Rupees in excess baggage charges on a PNQ-BOM-BHO recently this is what 9W allows typically.

if you dont have any status the check in agent is allowed to waive a maximum of 3kg per pax. Rest is a baggage fee. You might check in 23 kgs and carry on the extra 4 kg. I am only aware of a 20 kg / 30 kg (J/ Plat) baggage allowance on domestic sectors for checked baggage.

If you have status or in business class they allow extra 10 kg on domestic sectors.

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/MY/Plan...Allowance.aspx

Ofcourse if you can sweet talk your way they might not charge anything extra.
you also get some extra luggage allowance with the jet platinum card from citibank....
Keyser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 12:55 pm
  #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 25,285
Originally Posted by saad View Post
a few kilos will be ok....i once had to pay extra for 5kgs & this other time i was about 15kgs overweight but they still let me go....i guess it depends on the person checking you in....but usually they stick to their rule....
Were you in J?
UA Fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 1:05 pm
  #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 24,530
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Were you in J?
always in j....
Keyser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 1:15 pm
  #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 25,285
Originally Posted by saad View Post
always in j....
Oh, my good ole days.
UA Fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 10, 1:25 pm
  #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 24,530
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Oh, my good ole days.
i feel your pain....
Keyser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 10, 9:16 am
  #13
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: United
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by rsh913 View Post
Having paid 19,012 Rupees in excess baggage charges on a PNQ-BOM-BHO recently this is what 9W allows typically.

if you dont have any status the check in agent is allowed to waive a maximum of 3kg per pax. Rest is a baggage fee. You might check in 23 kgs and carry on the extra 4 kg. I am only aware of a 20 kg / 30 kg (J/ Plat) baggage allowance on domestic sectors for checked baggage.

If you have status or in business class they allow extra 10 kg on domestic sectors.

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/MY/Plan...Allowance.aspx
Thanks. Anyone know the rule for initernational flights?

On my flight, I had 0.6-1.3kg extra weight (the weight scales gave different answers at the airport). Jet did not charge me anything.

What a nice airline, the extra legroom was very welcome in economy
Of course, the extra 8kg allowance (28kg total) as compared to 20kg on LH, AF was terrific too!
Gemuse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 10, 5:59 am
  #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi, India
Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 24,530
Originally Posted by Gemuse View Post
Thanks. Anyone know the rule for initernational flights?

On my flight, I had 0.6-1.3kg extra weight (the weight scales gave different answers at the airport). Jet did not charge me anything.

What a nice airline, the extra legroom was very welcome in economy
Of course, the extra 8kg allowance (28kg total) as compared to 20kg on LH, AF was terrific too!
a lot of agents will let you slide by if the luggage is overweight by 5 kgs or less....
Keyser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 10, 4:23 am
  #15
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Don't think it matters...
Posts: 4,757
Originally Posted by Gemuse View Post
Thanks. Anyone know the rule for initernational flights?

On my flight, I had 0.6-1.3kg extra weight (the weight scales gave different answers at the airport). Jet did not charge me anything.
anything less than 3 kg is fine with most airlines..

Originally Posted by saad View Post
a lot of agents will let you slide by if the luggage is overweight by 5 kgs or less....
+1.. unless we get into LH /OS on a bad day..
abhilife2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:44 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.