Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AI's direct service to CCU

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
u forgot to add.. she will say its for the goreeb log at specially discounted fares.. ..remember the gareeb specials started which are fully airconditioned !!!!
Whe kennot phorget gorreb peepul Garib Rath series was initiated by Lalu Prasad Yadav, not Mamatadi.
The nomenclature was political, but there is nothing wrong with a train consisting entirely of 3 tier A/C.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri
What's a dedicated connector? DO you mean people on CCU-DEL can connect to no flight other than DEL-LHR? That's plain silly. Politicians making silly demands on AI is the reason it needs to be privatised, although, Indian politicians will still try to influence operational decisions.
What could be done is to have one flight number from CCU-LHR with a change of equipment in DEL. That would give them a direct flight between LHR and CCU.
This whole single flight number business does not make sense any more given the hub-and-spoke model AI is trying to implement at DEL. First it's usually never the same aircraft that continues onwards and second passengers from other flights can board it too and so nothing exclusive about it. It's just a Govt run airlines' way of keeping politicians in, say, HYD, AMD, ATQ, etc happy by saying: See you got a "direct" flight to JFK/LHR from your city!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by hobbes78
This whole single flight number business does not make sense any more given the hub-and-spoke model AI is trying to implement at DEL. First it's usually never the same aircraft that continues onwards and second passengers from other flights can board it too and so nothing exclusive about it. It's just a Govt run airlines' way of keeping politicians in, say, HYD, AMD, ATQ, etc happy by saying: See you got a "direct" flight to JFK/LHR from your city!
It was more than that... the direct service to CCU meant that I didn't have to clear customs along with all the masses at DEL and could do it in CCU with a smaller plane of people. It also meant that I wouldn't have to sit in DEL or BOM overnight and wait until the 6 or 630 AM flight to CCU... at least with the current schedule, I will be able to clear customs in DEL and try to jump on the 845 9W flight to CCU...
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:04 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Whe kennot phorget gorreb peepul Garib Rath series was initiated by Lalu Prasad Yadav, not Mamatadi.
The nomenclature was political, but there is nothing wrong with a train consisting entirely of 3 tier A/C.
yeah, am aware that MR Laloo started the gareeb rath.. there is ofcourse nothing wrong with a completely AC 3 tier train, but to name it "gareeb rath" is something I found and very amusing ..yes its political, but hv seldom seen any of those "gareeb" log using this..
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:09 am

Agree.. with the hub and spoke model, I hope AI is planning like all other majors and having direct flights from DEL for long haul and feed those flights from other spoke cities like AMD,CCU,etc ...I mean if these domestic flights leave even arnd evnings arnd 6 - 7pm from their respective cities, it enables the pax to take connecting AI flights to most parts of the world and tht is wht I hope is being envisaged..But again its a hope, which has been shattered more than once earlier
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:31 am
Suspended

You did not answer m question about what a dedicated connector is. As far as direct flights are concerned, they are not an Indian invention. Most Indians think direct flight means a nonstop flight.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Back to the topic..

Yippiee

AI 680 to the rescue leaves DEL at 8Pm reaches CCU 1020 PM. AI681 is the return which starts from CCU at 8PM.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kyunbit
Back to the topic..

Yippiee

AI 680 to the rescue leaves DEL at 8Pm reaches CCU 1020 PM. AI681 is the return which starts from CCU at 8PM.
cool....looks like we will have to ask babu to modify the title of this thread....
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by kyunbit
Back to the topic..

Yippiee

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up. I just checked the schedule - it must have recently been added. And it departs from the international terminal in Delhi, so it looks like pax from US and Canada can all converge in Delhi and take the on-going flight to CCU and do formalities in CCU. ^
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
so it looks like pax from US and Canada can all converge in Delhi and take the on-going flight to CCU and do formalities in CCU ^
yes, similiar to what is there till AI flies CCU-DEL-JFK, but hopefully AI will tie the lose ends and get more intl long haul flights to DEL by that time to make it possible for more routes to be sold as direct or only stopover in DEL with all immigration and baggage formalities in CCU..
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by saad
cool....looks like we will have to ask babu to modify the title of this thread....
changed.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:27 pm

Great news! Just reconfirmed my flight on AI 680. That was quick by AI standards!

You did not answer m question about what a dedicated connector is. As far as direct flights are concerned, they are not an Indian invention. Most Indians think direct flight means a nonstop flight.
I didn't claim any
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by aktchi
Mamata Banerjee, India's Railway Minister. "Di" is a respectful Bengali suffix meaning "elder sister".
In this case .. disrespectfully sarcastic. Cheers.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Babu
changed.
thanks babu....keep up the good work....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.