Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India at JFK: check-in / luggage questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India at JFK: check-in / luggage questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Question Air India at JFK: check-in / luggage questions

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am planning a PIT - BOM trip in the second half of December 2010. At present, I am getting a decent fare on DL + AI with just one stop (PIT - JFK - BOM). Before I commit to this, I have a few questions and would be grateful for your answers. I also hope AI is still running this flight come December (have not flown them in 16 years, but have heard very good things about this flight and the new 777 LRs).

1. I assume Orbitz would issue me a single itinerary for the whole trip? I believe having a single itinerary (or PNR or whatever that is called) makes life easier.

2. Can I check my bag all the way from PIT - BOM?

3. Can I do on-line checkin and seat selection on AI? I cannot select my seats on Orbitz at the time of booking; hopefully I can select them either via calling AI or doing OLCI.

4. If I cannot do OLCI, can DL check me in for the AI flight when I am at PIT? I am pretty sure this is _not_ possible, just hoping.

5. If I have to do manual check-in at JFK, how soon can I do it? I saw a trip report that mentioned the check-in opened at 4:30 pm for the 9:30 flight. I should be there at that time given the DL flight times.

Just planning ahead to make sure I get the all-important aisle seat :-).

Thanks!
AQ68DUm3
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:16 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by AQ68DUm3
Hi all,

I am planning a PIT - BOM trip in the second half of December 2010. At present, I am getting a decent fare on DL + AI with just one stop (PIT - JFK - BOM). Before I commit to this, I have a few questions and would be grateful for your answers. I also hope AI is still running this flight come December (have not flown them in 16 years, but have heard very good things about this flight and the new 777 LRs).

1. I assume Orbitz would issue me a single itinerary for the whole trip? I believe having a single itinerary (or PNR or whatever that is called) makes life easier.

3. Can I do on-line checkin and seat selection on AI? I cannot select my seats on Orbitz at the time of booking; hopefully I can select them either via calling AI or doing OLCI.

4. If I cannot do OLCI, can DL check me in for the AI flight when I am at PIT? I am pretty sure this is _not_ possible, just hoping.

5. If I have to do manual check-in at JFK, how soon can I do it? I saw a trip report that mentioned the check-in opened at 4:30 pm for the 9:30 flight. I should be there at that time given the DL flight times.

Thanks!
AQ68DUm3

I don't know about whether you will get one PNR or whether you can check your bags all the way to BOM from PIT. What I do know is that:

(1) you will get your bags from the PIT - JFK luggage carousel;
(2) there is no OLCI for AI. You can go on their website and select seats (or call in and select certain seats);
(3) DL cannot check you in for AI - flying to India has special security checks that requires checking in with AI at JFK
(4) I have no idea how early you can check in since I am usually one of the last to check in for the flight.

You can get your all-important aisle seat by calling or choosing your seat online. I 100% recommend getting the exit aisle seat (row 32?) since it is lots of leg room, close to the galley (but close to the restroom). Only issue is that pax will congregate in those areas 9 - 10 hours from when you leave JFK or BOM bc they are truly bored sitting down...
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Hi all,

why would you think ai would not be running this flight come december????

you will have a single itinerary as far as orbitz is concerned but they will also give you a seperate pnr for your ai leg of the journey....

you should be allowed to do this....

i don't believe you can do an online check-in but you can call ai & block your seat....

you are right, this is not possible....then can check in you bags to your final destination but you will have to get your boarding pass at jfk....

they are definitely open 4 hours before the flight....could also be earlier....

call ai once you have made the booking....this should not be a problem....
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A colleague did DTW-DL-JFK-AI-DEL on one ticket and DL checked his bags all the way to DEL. The ticket was visible with both segments on DLs and AI's website, OLCI was only possible on DL's website for DTW-JFK. In JFK he just went over to the AI checkin counter and registered his bag tags and received his BP.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA 1MM
I flew DCA-JFK-DEL on July 2nd (AA, then AI). I was able to check in bags on AA all the way through to Delhi without any problems. I had to get my boarding pass at JFK.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by nigam
I flew DCA-JFK-DEL on July 2nd (AA, then AI). I was able to check in bags on AA all the way through to Delhi without any problems. I had to get my boarding pass at JFK.
very true....i regularly used to fly this route (dca-jfk-del) a couple of years ago on aa & ai....i always checked my bags to my final destination in dca, but had to get my ai boarding pass in jfk....
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K , AA PLAT, Marriott Platinum
On a side note about carry on baggage, can anyone confirm if AI would allow a laptop backpak and small stroller 20" / 21" on a flight from ORD ... i have been told by some friends that AI only allows ONE carry on and NO personal items (unlike other airlines).
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ash_79
On a side note about carry on baggage, can anyone confirm if AI would allow a laptop backpak and small stroller 20" / 21" on a flight from ORD ... i have been told by some friends that AI only allows ONE carry on and NO personal items (unlike other airlines).
i have always taken a laptop bag & my carry on bag....
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone.

Since AI changed the non-stop from JFK-BOM to EWR-BOM, the fares have gone up. I ended up booking AA/9W PIT-JFK-BRU-BOM. That's another set of questions, for another forum .
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Thanks everyone.

Since AI changed the non-stop from JFK-BOM to EWR-BOM, the fares have gone up. I ended up booking AA/9W PIT-JFK-BRU-BOM. That's another set of questions, for another forum .
get a waffle in bruxelles. enjoy.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, UA GLD, Marriott GLD, Hyatt GLD
Thanks everyone.

To answer your thru' baggage check question - when in doubt, call your first carrier(now AA, would have been DL in your previous scenario) and ask the rep if they have an interline agreement in place with your connecting carrier. If they do, then you should be able to check your bags all the way to your POE/final destination, when you show your complete itinerary at check-in, even though you might need to get your boarding pass/seat assignment separately from the other carrier.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.