Wiki Posts
Search

Confessions of candid cabin crew

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Wink Confessions of candid cabin crew

Do forgive the alliteration, completely unintended. Two (very?) interesting things:

a. This morning's flight on 9W2359 (Konnect, mind you) [FYI, this used to be full service until a while back]. We were unexpectedly served a snack (croissant + coffee). Asked the IFE about it, she said the ground crew had loaded the stuff in error, and they couldn't (a) use in on the onward BLR-DEL sector and (b) needed the space in any case, so they decided to serve it out !!!

Interestingly, this is one more of those positioning flights (spoken about in another thread), so has Biz seating though it is a Konnect flight.

b. Was on a DEL-MAA flight last week, and was generally chatting with the IFE about some delay that had come up (can't remember how exactly it started off). She said she was on a LHR-BOM (or DEL) flight a few weeks back, when the commander - a very experienced one at that, been with 9W for ages now - accidentally activated the emergency chutes . So, to maintain the pax to exits ratio, they had to upgrade some biz pax to F, and many other Y pax to Biz. She also mentioned something about fixing the chute back - apparently it needs the Boeing / Airbus guys to get it done, and costs c.$1 million - don't know if she's way off the mark. Apparently, the commander has been grounded since !

The things you get to hear...
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by aniruddh77
Do forgive the alliteration, completely unintended. Two (very?) interesting things:

a. This morning's flight on 9W2359 (Konnect, mind you) [FYI, this used to be full service until a while back]. We were unexpectedly served a snack (croissant + coffee). Asked the IFE about it, she said the ground crew had loaded the stuff in error, and they couldn't (a) use in on the onward BLR-DEL sector and (b) needed the space in any case, so they decided to serve it out !!!
Possible BS?

Maybe Jet is waking up, now that they are having fuller loads - to provide such service to keep pax happy.

I know a lot more people that I know of are flying quite a bit...this was noted by me and an FA known to me from intercontinentals discussing same openly on a relatively full DEL-BOM flight 4-6 months back.

Interestingly, this is one more of those positioning flights (spoken about in another thread), so has Biz seating though it is a Konnect flight.
Nice!

I think you or saad mentioned the IT config for Red having the KF seating...

b. Was on a DEL-MAA flight last week, and was generally chatting with the IFE about some delay that had come up (can't remember how exactly it started off). She said she was on a LHR-BOM (or DEL) flight a few weeks back, when the commander - a very experienced one at that, been with 9W for ages now - accidentally activated the emergency chutes . So, to maintain the pax to exits ratio, they had to upgrade some biz pax to F, and many other Y pax to Biz. She also mentioned something about fixing the chute back - apparently it needs the Boeing / Airbus guys to get it done, and costs c.$1 million - don't know if she's way off the mark. Apparently, the commander has been grounded since !

Oh dear - why did they have to have pax at the exits now that the chutes were deployed?

Can the commander deploy chutes when doors are closed?? What happens if that occurs - I would suspect that people would get hurt, wouldn't they?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program

Something does not sound right, surely the chutes opening does not affect the pax to exit ratios because the aircraft would not be allowed to leave minus a exit door without chutes.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Possible BS?

Maybe Jet is waking up, now that they are having fuller loads - to provide such service to keep pax happy.

I know a lot more people that I know of are flying quite a bit...this was noted by me and an FA known to me from intercontinentals discussing same openly on a relatively full DEL-BOM flight 4-6 months back.
i agree completely....

Nice!

I think you or saad mentioned the IT config for Red having the KF seating...
it wasn't me....

Oh dear - why did they have to have pax at the exits now that the chutes were deployed?

Can the commander deploy chutes when doors are closed?? What happens if that occurs - I would suspect that people would get hurt, wouldn't they?
maybe i didn't quite understand completely what happened here but something about this doesn't make sense....
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by saad
it wasn't me....
Yeah - it was aniruddh77...
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Chutes costing 1 mio deployed by the captain? Come on...

Once in a while a chute is inop and till they fix it the door is marked as such. The usually reduce the number of pax on such flights to maintain ratios but do not reseat anyone. I'm sorry but you fell for a complete BS story
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Possible BS?

Nice!
Going the KF Red way???

Originally Posted by saad
maybe i didn't quite understand completely what happened here but something about this doesn't make sense....
Same here, which is why I posted this, hoping one of you chaps will be able to figure out...but I did some research, and I believe the flight deck crew can activate the chutes remotely.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:41 am
Suspended

Pilots CANNOT deploy chutes from cockpit.

If they were deployed unintentionally, it was by a cabin crew member.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Am I the only one disappointed with the content of this thread after reading the title?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:53 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Savage25
Am I the only one disappointed with the content of this thread after reading the title?
No!

Especially when I saw who the thread starter was.

Most disappointing indeed, unless you are one of those who is titillated by the thought of back chutes deploying!!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
She also mentioned something about fixing the chute back - apparently it needs the Boeing / Airbus guys to get it done, and costs c.$1 million - don't know if she's way off the mark. Apparently, the commander has been grounded since !
Perhaps she meant Rs. 1 million, since that is approx USD20K - which lines up with what I've read elsewhere it costs for a slide to be repacked.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mtacchi
Pilots CANNOT deploy chutes from cockpit.

If they were deployed unintentionally, it was by a cabin crew member.
No, but pilots CAN (and have) unintentionally deployed chutes from the cabin by touching things they really shouldnt!

The actual cost of a new slide is closer to $60k (including labour, parts, etc...) than $1m, but airlines love to scare the cabin crew with the higher figures so as to keep them on their toes.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:59 am

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold
"Confessions of candid cabin crew"? I had hoped for a airline version of "Taxicab Confessions"
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Im kind curious to know the going rate for a Indian based BA crew from the special swami in Delhi?

Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.