Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Madrid Terminal 4S connection with baggage reclaim

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Will be traveling JFK-Madrid and Madrid-Vienna on 2 tickets (IB plus) with luggage. I have been told that I may have to collect my luggage in Madrid. NY flight arrives in 4S and Vienna flight departs from 4S .
How likely is it for IB to check the luggage through? If not do I have to go through immigration to get the bags on the second flight or is it like the US where there is a connection desk to take the luggage without going through immigration and passport control? Thx
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:33 pm

You will have to go through passport control anyhow as you enter the EU Schengen zone in Madrid, there wont be any further passport control for your flight to Vienna nor in Vienna. Ask nicely to check your bags through in New York, your chances are 50/50.

Can be quite a walk and a little train from 4S to bagage reclaim which is in T4 (T4S being a satellite of T4). Bag delivery is often slow in MAD. From bagage reclaim to checkin is just one floor up. Queues at Y desks can be long, J is generally ok.
I would say you need 2 hours to be comfortable.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:12 pm

Im doing a similar itinerary on 2 tickets . IB will not through check and Im giving myself 4 hours. You would be surprised how long it all takes. Allowing for delays is always a wise move and Im familiar with the layout of T4.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by patvd
Considering that baggage drop-off will close 1 hour before departure, 2 hours is the absolute minimum if everything is on time, you have access to Business Class desks and you know your way around MAD airport.

4-5 hours is "comfortable".
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
I'd be allowing up to an hour for bags to show up on the carousel in economy, especially from a larger plane. Even with a priority tag or in business, it can be a wait.

Plus having to clear immigration, take the train from T4S to T4, re-check in, and re-clear security at T4. It strikes me as odd that a MAD-VIE flight within Schengen would depart from T4S rather than T4, though.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by patvd
Queues at Y desks can be long, J is generally ok.
IB has check-in kiosks at T4 (for printing bagage-tag) and dedicated counters for bagage-drop?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
IB has check-in kiosks at T4 (for printing bagage-tag) and dedicated counters for bagage-drop?
Dedicated baggage drop yes, but the kiosks are located (really oddly) in the middle of the space past the lines. So you still have to queue normally.
SK AAR likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I'm not sure where the information was from, but I'd be suprised that your VIE flight is departing from T4S. A quick search and all VIE flights operated by Iberia are from T4 currently.

You'll have to arrive at T4S, go through passport control, jump on the train to T4, head to the baggage, head to check in and pass security.
As others have suggest, certainly would feel better with a 4+hr wait providing all your flights are on time. Even the taxi journey to your gate can be a good few minutes at Madrid.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:19 am

As an aside, it looks like there is a MAD-VIE sector out of T4S tonight (IB3124) because EC-NJU due to operate it is doing the inbound from LHR. I presume therefore that OP's flight may be similar, and depart from the intra-Schengen M gates at T4S. Rare but not impossible.

In that case absolutely add even more time on to take the train back to T4S.
csycsycsy and marconess like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Piggybacking on this thread:

LIS-MAD IB flight arrives Terminal 1 @ 10:50
MAD-DFW IB flight leaves Terminal 4S at 16:00

What land mines should I be looking for here? ie. recheck baggage etc. Last time it was Terminal 4(S)? only.

Looking for a good airport map that shows important thing like where shuttle buses and people movers are to other terminals are but seem to only show useless crap like restarants and sunglass huts...
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by blue bear
Piggybacking on this thread:

LIS-MAD IB flight arrives Terminal 1 @ 10:50
MAD-DFW IB flight leaves Terminal 4S at 16:00

What land mines should I be looking for here? ie. recheck baggage etc. Last time it was Terminal 4(S)? only.

Looking for a good airport map that shows important thing like where shuttle buses and people movers are to other terminals are but seem to only show useless crap like restarants and sunglass huts...
map https://www.aena.es/es/map.html
IB LIS-MAD will arrive in T4.
If on separate tickets and need to recheck baggage then on arrival from LIS to MAD T4, follow signs for baggage claim, then exit to landside, take the lift to the 2nd floor, turn right (heading south) until you find the IB business check in desks (since you are AS Gold, so OWS), check ur baggage, ask staff where fast track security is, go through fast track, if tired/hungry then go first to Iberia Dali lounge, otherwise follow signs for S gates, which involves taking a train-shuttle to T4S, then going through passport control, then find the Iberia Velasquez lounge within the duty free shopping area. "tapas" is served until 1pm when it switches over to lunch.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:48 pm

You will have to take the shuttle from T1 after you collect your bags. It runs about every 5 minutes. I want to say it is a 10 to 15-minute ride to T4 but it has been a while. You will check-in in T4, then walk and train to T4s. I don't know about a map but here is shuttle information. https://www.aeropuertomadrid-barajas...-terminals.htm
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:38 pm

IB doesn't operate at T1, so if it's an IB flight it should arrive T4. No shuttle buses required. After collecting bags and exiting into arrivals hall, go up to departures which is a couple floors up.

Fast-track security at MAD T4 is currently located at the Puente Aereo area (towards the rear of the departures level, away from main security), because the new scanners are being installed at where fast track usually is.

IB's business check-in counters are at 780-799 to the right of this image.

For the rest, I'd follow csycsycsy 's advice from post #11.

Last edited by chacor; Mar 29, 2024 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
You guys are right: After looking at flightaware I realised that Terminal 1 was the departure from LIS - flight went to either 4 or 4S.

Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:17 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by chacor
Fast-track security at MAD T4 is currently located at the Puente Aereo area (towards the rear of the departures level, away from main security), because the new scanners are being installed at where fast track usually is.
Im flying BOD-MAD-LIM in may, business class. The BOD-MAD flight is a Air Nostrum small plane, arriving at T4 and the MAD-LIM flight departs from T4S. I understand no baggage claim needed, its a unique booking.

Will I have to pass thru security from T4 to T4S?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.