Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat assignment problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Seat assignment problem

I see that there are some active threads on seat assignments, but this problem doesn't fit with them. For our late April BOS-MAD flight in J on an Avios reward, the seats we've held for months now show as No Seats, and trying to change it on the website or iPhone app get "Unexpected server error. Please go back and try again from the beginning." That's how it's been for a couple of days, and I've tried clearing the cache, and tried changing my location from U.S. to Spain. Can I expect this to resolve, or do I need to call? I've tried WhatsApp, and the bot replies aren't making sense of it; may I presume no difference if I try during Spanish business hours? The connecting intra-Europe flight in Y shows the seat assignments.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:18 pm

Are you Oneworld Sapphire or higher and therefore trying to get seat assignments for free?
If so, you may have better luck using the Royal Jordanian or Malaysia Airlines websites. Go to their Manage Booking section and enter your IB booking reference and you should be able to select seats. Then go back to IB website and see if they show assigned seats. Check again the next day to make sure they haven't disappeared. If they have, go back to RJ or MH, delete your FF number, then re-enter it and select seats again.

If you are not Sapphire or higher and need to pay for seat assignments, you have to do this with IB. Their IT is terrible so you may need to call. US number is 800-772-4642. They have some really useless agents, and some really good ones; hit or miss which you get!

Good luck.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Use the suggestion in the other thread - Try Malaysia Air website "Manage Booking" Manage booking for selecting seats on IB.
It will allow you to see the seats and book them for the flight. It’s weird but it works. I too have the error message for a month,
kapy3 and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks; so far that works. No status, but on this award trip I'm getting the seat assignments for free.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:54 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
There is an ongoing issue IT issue with seat selection not displaying/working. Best to contact IB (whatsapp, use talk to agent, Spanish only) to confirm your seat selection and then further confirm on expert flyer.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: Chase UR, Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham
I have had the same seat selection IT problem for J MAD-DFW in October. I got the seats selected by using the online chatbox and routing on there to an agent.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by NDFan
Are you Oneworld Sapphire or higher and therefore trying to get seat assignments for free?
If so, you may have better luck using the Royal Jordanian or Malaysia Airlines websites. Go to their Manage Booking section and enter your IB booking reference and you should be able to select seats. Then go back to IB website and see if they show assigned seats. Check again the next day to make sure they haven't disappeared. If they have, go back to RJ or MH, delete your FF number, then re-enter it and select seats again.

If you are not Sapphire or higher and need to pay for seat assignments, you have to do this with IB. Their IT is terrible so you may need to call. US number is 800-772-4642. They have some really useless agents, and some really good ones; hit or miss which you get!

Good luck.
Hello NDFan,
So do you say that non-status holders have to pay for seat selection on an Avios business award redemption? I will be using BA Avios.
THanks for your help!
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Hello NDFan,
So do you say that non-status holders have to pay for seat selection on an Avios business award redemption? I will be using BA Avios.
THanks for your help!
Anybody else with recent experience of booking an IB biz award with BA Avios miles? Is seat allocation free of charge?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Anybody else with recent experience of booking an IB biz award with BA Avios miles? Is seat allocation free of charge?
I did a BA Amex Avios booking this week (MAD -BOG). I called Iberia (in UK) and it was done free (but possibly because I’m OWS). The number I called was very helpful and answered in under five minutes 020 3003 2109.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rthib
Use the suggestion in the other thread - Try Malaysia Air website "Manage Booking" Manage booking for selecting seats on IB.
It will allow you to see the seats and book them for the flight. It’s weird but it works. I too have the error message for a month,
This worked for me. Absolutely insane and embarrassing for Iberia to have to through Malaysia Air of all places, but it worked. Thank you!
Old Apr 12, 2024, 3:20 am

short haul seat re-selection now working for me (even for flights March 2024).
long haul 1st selection works but re-selection nope.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
Same here .
Old Apr 15, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
LH - MAD BOG (Avios) seats selected over the phone. Can’t change them
SH - LHR - MAD .. paid Y seats which were selected over the phone OWS and I can change them. But outbound, I can’t select “PE” seats which I can on the inbound but only the exit row and would have to pay extra for all the other PE seats (both are A350s). And on this flight I have only the 5 digit locator so can’t try AY, MH or RJ.
Hey ho total muddle. But we’ll get there and back again.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
App update (Android): everything works now short/long haul first/re selection
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Originally Posted by NDFan

Good luck.
Thanks for the workaround.

Two questions:

1) my Iberia booking code is only 5 digits. What do I need to do to get Malaysia or RJ to recognize it. They book require 6 digit booking references. Calling Iberia got me a 6-digit PNR that the other OneWorld airlines recognize.

2) should I get free seat selection as a oneworld Saphire on a basic ticket? Iberia website suggests yes, but phone rep said no.

thanks!

Last edited by DAS02135; Apr 22, 2024 at 12:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.