Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Type of Changes Permitted on Award Booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I have a FCO-MAD-SJU award booking. Plans have changed and now I need to return from ZRH instead of FCO. I tried to get Iberia to either remove the first segment from our itinerary (FCO-MAD) or change return city from FCO to ZRH. I tried multiple calls, Whatsapp and online customer service request form. I have been told the same via all sources: the types of changes requested are not possible. Per IB, the only changes permitted on an award flight are date or time changes. Route changes or removal of segments are not allowed.

Is what IB is saying with regards to the type of changes allowed on award bookings true? Is there any magic number or email address I can reach out to that might be able to help me?

Of course, I could cancel and rebook, but the MAD-SJU segment is in business class, so I do not want to risk losing those business class seats. FWIW, the FCO-MAD segment is a Blue class economy booking.

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PRHusky
I have a FCO-MAD-SJU award booking. Plans have changed and now I need to return from ZRH instead of FCO. I tried to get Iberia to either remove the first segment from our itinerary (FCO-MAD) or change return city from FCO to ZRH. I tried multiple calls, Whatsapp and online customer service request form. I have been told the same via all sources: the types of changes requested are not possible. Per IB, the only changes permitted on an award flight are date or time changes. Route changes or removal of segments are not allowed.

Is what IB is saying with regards to the type of changes allowed on award bookings true? Is there any magic number or email address I can reach out to that might be able to help me?

Of course, I could cancel and rebook, but the MAD-SJU segment is in business class, so I do not want to risk losing those business class seats. FWIW, the FCO-MAD segment is a Blue class economy booking.

Thanks!
The agents are telling you the truth, and there is no magic number or email address that will override that.

"Changes" are date or time. Everything else requires a full cancellation and rebooking. FWIW, cancellation is not automatic either - it is processed by IB's back office hours or days afterwards.

If you are worried about losing the J award seat to SJU, then you need to find a way to get yourself to FCO on time...
Madbru likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by PRHusky

Thanks!
how u manage talk to live chat via whatsapp? i tried but keep getting this >>>"Sorry, I can't help you with this issue right now. If you want you can go to Iberia's website 📱grupo-iberia.com/compra-vuelos to make your arrangements or contact an Iberia agent."
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:44 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by Lbs890213
how u manage talk to live chat via whatsapp? i tried but keep getting this >>>"Sorry, I can't help you with this issue right now. If you want you can go to Iberia's website 📱grupo-iberia.com/compra-vuelos to make your arrangements or contact an Iberia agent."
https://www.iberia.com/es/whatsapp-iberia/

Spanish only, for now, use WA web for live google translating....
Lbs890213 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is it possible to add an award segment onto the same reservation (without cancelling the original ticket)?

Right now, I'm flying LAX-MAD non stop and want to add MAD-DBV. If not on the same reservation, I can't check through bags, so given the connection time (2:05), I would just overnight in Madrid and fly out the next morning.

Thanks in advance!

( I ask because with American, it's possible to add separate positioning tickets to award flights under the same PNR (different ticket #s) under certain circumstances.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
No, you'd need to cancel and rebook. Subject to availability after cancelling, i.e. no guarantee that your seat will become available again.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by BA6501
No, you'd need to cancel and rebook. Subject to availability after cancelling, i.e. no guarantee that your seat will become available again.
Thanks. I've allowed to overnight at MAD in my planning, but wanted to be sure.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
What about upgrading one segment of a multi-segment itinerary? I booked LAX-MAD-OPO with LAX-MAD in J and MAD-OPO in Y as J wasn't available. If J is now available for MAD-OPO, can I pay the difference (2,250 Avios) to move from Y to J? I'm booked in economy, not blue class, if that matters.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dkc192
What about upgrading one segment of a multi-segment itinerary? I booked LAX-MAD-OPO with LAX-MAD in J and MAD-OPO in Y as J wasn't available. If J is now available for MAD-OPO, can I pay the difference (2,250 Avios) to move from Y to J? I'm booked in economy, not blue class, if that matters.
Maybe possible, although IB uses married segments so you might still need LAX-MAD-OPO space in J at the time of making the change.

In any event, there's really no reason at all why you should spend more to travel in J for MAD-OPO.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:57 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Maybe possible, although IB uses married segments so you might still need LAX-MAD-OPO space in J at the time of making the change.

In any event, there's really no reason at all why you should spend more to travel in J for MAD-OPO.
My question is related to that. I was happy enough to find two spaces for FCO MAD MVD all in J in the last promo. There was a small change of plans after that and I would prefer to fly earlier the FCO MAD segment on the same day (resulting in a much longe layover in MAD). I'm ok to pay the fine etc.

Two representatives have already said that they can only change the first segment if there is space in the second. I wouldn't count on Iberia to open more two space with avios in J in MAD MVD segment.

Do I have any option? One representative said I could issue a separate ticket for FCO MAD and not fly the first segment of the original award ticket. I told him that this would result in not being allowed to board in MAD MVD and he said that IB wouldn't scrap my reservation if the first segment is not flown.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlexMC

Any thoughts?
Fly as booked. Any other alternative has the risk of destroying the whole itinerary, which when done at 50% off isn't worth it.

If you get lucky, there will be a schedule change that allows you more flexibility with changing flights.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Fly as booked. Any other alternative has the risk of destroying the whole itinerary, which when done at 50% off isn't worth it.

If you get lucky, there will be a schedule change that allows you more flexibility with changing flights.
Thank you vey much. I must confess I'm a bit impressed that they are not making easy $40 per pax here. Should be a simple change for anyone operating Amadeus.

Flights are for end of May. Don't think there will be a major change of schedule now. Which is the time difference that triggers IB to allow me to change flights?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I have had 3 cases of missing one flight in an itinerary and being able to take the remaining flight(s). Even if I had OLCId for the flight I missed. All were IB ticketed, one Avios and two cash.

One was exMAD (MAD-FUE-MAD I believe), one was LYS-MAD-MIA, and another was MAD-VCE-MAD.

I was originally very skeptical, but with these experiences, would be less so. Whether it’s worth the risk in this case is up to you though. And I wouldn’t count on a schedule change this late in the game.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by BA6501
I was originally very skeptical, but with these experiences, would be less so. Whether it’s worth the risk in this case is up to you though. And I wouldn’t count on a schedule change this late in the game.
The problem is that we know we are supposed to fly tickets in sequence and one day IB technology may catch up and start auto cancelling flights ... YMMV ! So past performance may not be indicative of future results
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by E14 26C
The problem is that we know we are supposed to fly tickets in sequence and one day IB technology may catch up and start auto cancelling flights ... YMMV ! So past performance may not be indicative of future results
The problem isn't Iberia IT, it's the fact that the Spanish supreme court has banned the cancellation of flights if you skip the first flight. However, Iberia doesn't always follow that ruling, and getting an award ticket reinstated whilst at the airport is rather difficult, if not impossible.
E14 26C likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.