Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia- Booked PE but can selected J seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia- Booked PE but can selected J seat

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: n/a
Smile Iberia- Booked PE but can selected J seat

Hello everyone,

I booked for( using miles) premium economy this year Madrid to JFK , never selected seat. then changed the date to next year a few month ago. Never able to select seat until now but found out when i clicked to the icon" change seat" the Business class map appeared. I was able to book business 2L seat. Anyone experience this? it is the weirdest thing ever happened
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Oh I seems to understand why!. The aircraft is A330-200 doesnt have Premium economy seat! WOW, SO maybe next time I should just booked for PE and pray for an equipment change( to get business class for cheap?)
LupineChemist likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Pre-selecting a seat doesn't mean that you are definitely flying in Business Class. The a330-200 has far fewer J seats than other long-haul planes, so you can be 100% confident that if IB can sell enough J tickets before departure you won't be sitting in a J seat...

Manage your expectations accordingly...
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

meaning I might even get a downgrade instead because there's no PE class seat??
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edgymix
meaning I might even get a downgrade instead because there's no PE class seat??
Yes. You would be compensated under EC261 rules, but since it's a mileage ticket it would be nothing more than a bunch of Avios.

Did you use Iberia Avios, or some other form of miles?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yes. You would be compensated under EC261 rules, but since it's a mileage ticket it would be nothing more than a bunch of Avios.

Did you use Iberia Avios, or some other form of miles?
I used Iberia Avios all the time to book business class ticket from JFK to Madrid. this is probably my 7th time to book and first time to book PE( cus it's 50% off avios)
so, hopefully they change the aircraft again to A350 or A330-300 !! not looking forward to be bump to economy while i ALREADY CHOOSE A J SEAT !
Old Nov 8, 2022, 10:28 pm

Programs: SE+, OWS
Hello everyone,

I booked for( using miles) premium economy this year Madrid to JFK ,
When is the flight? good luck!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fridgy
When is the flight? good luck!
next July so maybe there will be equipment change later and there will be PE seat. Right now I still see i am in business class seat ( for sure)
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now I still see i am in business class seat ( for sure)
Your seat pre-selection is irrelevant.

I had J seats pre-selected for me and my family, based on an upgrade using Avios that hadn't actually been processed correctly. I suspected as much, since the Avios weren't taken from my account, but decided to try for a "free" upgrade. We arrived to the airport, told the upgrade wasn't done right, and were assigned PE seats after all...

Unless your e-ticket has been re-issued in J with or without your knowledge, you are completely at the mercy of IB agents at the airport if your plane doesn't have a PE cabin on the day.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Your seat pre-selection is irrelevant.

I had J seats pre-selected for me and my family, based on an upgrade using Avios that hadn't actually been processed correctly. I suspected as much, since the Avios weren't taken from my account, but decided to try for a "free" upgrade. We arrived to the airport, told the upgrade wasn't done right, and were assigned PE seats after all...

Unless your e-ticket has been re-issued in J with or without your knowledge, you are completely at the mercy of IB agents at the airport if your plane doesn't have a PE cabin on the day.
Urg! I am in a dilemma !. I just searched the flight on that day again, seems like there's PE seat on the 12:20 pm flight but not the 4:25 pm one. Should I just wait till closer and see if there's equipment change again or I should just change ti the 12:20 pm flight? why Iberia wanted to fly A330-200 in peak season from MADRID to JFK????urg
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:01 am

Hi,

Same experience here: have booked a PE seat on a long-haul red-eye from MAD early next year. This route is alternating between A350-900 or A330-200 depending on the day, thus after what I can assume was an equipment change my pre-selected - and paid for - seat (21L in PE on A350) is now showing as 2L on A332.

Not much we can do but wait until online check-in I guess (and even then, no guarantees). IMHO this is quite annoying as I would much rather enjoy the peace of mind of a pre-selected good Y seat rather than play the lottery to fly J while risking ending up in a worse seat in Y...

Does this mean that asking customer service to re-issue the ticket in accordance with the new seat selection would guarantee seating in J? Does this ever happen?

Last edited by mmh_; Nov 15, 2022 at 11:07 am
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmh_
Hi,

Same experience here: have booked a PE seat on a long-haul red-eye from MAD early next year. This route is alternating between A350-900 or A330-200 depending on the day, thus after what I can assume was an equipment change my pre-selected - and paid for - seat (21L in PE on A350) is now showing as 2L on A332.

Not much we can do but wait until online check-in I guess (and even then, no guarantees). IMHO this is quite annoying as I would much rather enjoy the peace of mind of a pre-selected good Y seat rather than play the lottery to fly J while risking ending up in a worse seat in Y...
ohhhhh, pls report back after your trip!. BEST OF LUCK!
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does this mean that asking customer service to re-issue the ticket in accordance with the new seat selection would guarantee seating in J? Does this ever happen?
Why would CS reissue a ticket in a fare class you didn't pay for? When people are "opup-ed", there is no ticket reissue...

You would have more luck asking to move your dates to ensure that you get a PE seat.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:19 pm

Why would CS reissue a ticket in a fare class you didn't pay for? When people are "opup-ed", there is no ticket reissue...

You would have more luck asking to move your dates to ensure that you get a PE seat.
Very clear, thanks. Guessing not even a boarding pass issued at online check in would ensure seat assignment (probably dumb question, please humor me)?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Very clear, thanks. Guessing not even a boarding pass issued at online check in would ensure seat assignment (probably dumb question, please humor me)?

FYI, I did called Iberia to confirm and they told me yes- YOU WILL GET BUSINESS CALL SEAT. They even emailed me with my confirmed seat in business class.
Anyway, due to a personal reason , I need to cancel my trip so if you can report back for future reference that will be great
therealdre likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.