Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Issues with transferring Miles to Iberia Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

I tried to transfer Amex Rewards and Marriott Bonvoy points to Iberia Plus. In both cases an error message showed up saying that the Iberia no. couldn't be recognised. Amex wanted an 8-digit no. (Marriott didn't specify that), but mine is 9-digit.
I opened the Iberia account a week ago.

Any thoughts if there is a workaround?

I actually need to use Iberia Avios urgently. The Iberia flight I want to book with Avios is no longer available via BA, but shows availability vat IB Plus.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:37 pm

Since you’re in FRA I think you’re allowed to create an Avios.com account and use the trick described at this link. Transfer Amex to BA. Transfer BA to Avios.com. Transfer Avios.com to IB.

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/lin...vios-accounts/

I transfer directly so I haven’t tried the trick.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
IB+ accounts now have 9 digits? That is going to get really really messy...

You can´t use Combine your Avios like the previous poster mentioned, until your account is 90 days old and you´ve had earning activity.

If the partners can´t deal with a 9-digit IB number - and it´s probably coded that way to avoid client typos - then there´s nothing much you can do.
LupineChemist likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your advice of going via avios.com. That is indeed a good option which I did not have in mind.

Unfortunately my IB Plus account is not yet 90 days old and I cannot get it activated as all fails.

Do you know if there are currently any quick possibilities to activate an IB Plus account that is not yet 90 days old?

My new IB account has 9-digits (I learnt earlier it was 8-digits). I tried tried to register for Erewards but failed, as my IB Plus number could not be recognized.

Amex rewards says transfers to IB's new 9-digit account do not work and Marriott Bonvoy transfer failed as well (error message: "number cannot be recognised").

Buying Avios is currently also not working at IB.

Very frustrating as I urgently need to book an Iberia reward which is not available at ba.com, but still shows 2 seats at iberia.com. I need only 1150 Avios to book it and would like move them over from BA.
Old May 9, 2022, 5:33 am

I’ve used the Ib portal before, and miles take a while to post. Maybe something digital like iTunes could post faster? It’s a long shot. You might still be stuck with the 90 day problem that I forgot about. https://ibplustore.iberia.com/retailers/itunes-store-es
Old May 9, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Even if you "activate" the account, you still have the 90-day problem before any Avios can be moved from BA or AerLingus.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
You might try adding a zero to your number. I had an 8 number and they just added a bunch of zeros in front of it.
Iberia website is horrible. Have been frustrated by it many times. Theirs is worse than Deltas for trying to search for award travel.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:58 am

Amex has not yet offered a fix to this Iberia 9 digit account link error issue. I have a few friends trying to link their new 9 digit IB accounts without any success and Amex representative says they are waiting for the fix.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
hmm it accepted the number for me when I deleted the last digit of the 9-digit number, but the transfer will probably fail
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: M&M FTL, 1WRLD SAPPHIRE, AZ CORP
any updates on their IT fix?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:18 am
formerly OliverS

Hi, an update for all those who are also waiting: I did get it to work (full details here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35096679-post14.html)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.