Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Incapacitated, in hospital, ... refund possible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

Hello,
on July 27 I fly LIS-MAD and on July 28 I fly MAD-PDL.

A major back injury on June 26th cracked a vertebrae and now I am still in hospital.

I have a Not Fit to Fly certificate. Is there a possibility of getting a refund on both IB business class flights?

Info from this hospital bed of mine will be appreciated. TIA.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can ask... but I imagine a voucher would be the only option offered.

Alternatively your travel insurance provider might cover "unable to travel due to injury, etc."
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:32 am

If you pick up covid then you can get a voucher within 15 days of travel, or a more palatable solution - I very much doubt agents now the difference in tests - anything with covid and positive, so in the likely event you've been exposed to covid in last 18 months an antibody test should be sufficient they only cost about 30-50eur, you'll have to wait a few days before claiming to be within 15 day window
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattspod
If you pick up covid then you can get a voucher within 15 days of travel, or a more palatable solution - I very much doubt agents now the difference in tests - anything with covid and positive, so in the likely event you've been exposed to covid in last 18 months an antibody test should be sufficient they only cost about 30-50eur, you'll have to wait a few days before claiming to be within 15 day window
Thanks, but all of my RT-PCR tests have been negative. I also have both Pfizer vaxes (here in Portugal where I now live) and the EU "Green Pass". Looks like hoping for a voucher is all that I can do.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 11:15 am

I think if you had the vaccine you would be positive for antibodies? It might not be the spirit of the voucher though - but it's positive test nonetheless with the words covid littered everywhere, alternatively maybe book a vaccine appointment that conflicts - get the documentation - get the voucher and then cancel - it's unlikely they will (or even can) cross reference your medical records https://www.iberia.com/us/en/covid-1...t-flexibility/
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:44 am
Original Poster

On July 22nd I sent in my request to Iberia by email, with documentation to [email protected]. I rreceived an automated reply stating they would get back to me in due course. Here is their automated reply:

"If you request is related to Check in Health Stament and attached a medical certificate weŽll contact you soon.
For any other matter please contact us through usual channels."

After receiving a notice from Iberia about my flight tomorrow (27th) I decided to call the Iberia call center in Madrid at +34 913 894 357, but unlike the BA call center, this is a useless number because after several "All operators are busy" statements, they hang up in less than 3 minutes.

Any suggestions?

I tried calling the Portugal call center at 707 200 000, but after 3 1/2 minutes got the same "All ooperators are busy. Call back later." followed by a hang up!

Any suggestions about how to find out if IB is actually dealing with my application will be welcome. I was to fly to MAD tomorrow (27th) and from there to PDL on the 28th. Obviously won't be able to.

I wanted IB to cancel my reservations so they could possibly open and sell those seats, but they don't seem interested - I suppose because they already have my money. 🙄

Last edited by tmac100; Jul 26, 2021 at 2:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.