Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia baggage with OW Sapphire?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Sorry to keep asking questions. I'm Silver with BA but only have the basic Clasica with Iberia. In my Iberia account I transfer the Avios from BA over and then book, so obviously it needs my Iberia Plus number in the booking. How do I then tell the system that I am Silver with BA?
I see. I would hope that the check-in agent will give you 2 bags in London when she sees your Sapphire card, and then 3 from Madrid, but I can see that relies on the check-in agent taking on board your other status. At LHR I would see that as being relatively easy, and I would expect the same in Madrid, but I guess that's a risk factor. You would be within the rules as I read them, but it won't be me on check-in. The 32 kgs bit seems to me to be easiest, whether you'd get the 3rd bag I'm less sure.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Book it as a beneficiary in your IB+ account, beneficiary being yourself but with your BA FF number.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ANA Gold, WY Sinbad Gold
Just want to double check the rules on this. I'm planning on flying Iberia's LEVEL service from JFK-BCN. If I were to book their basic fare would I be entitled to a free checked bag based on my QR Gold (OW Sapphire) status? Thank you!
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Possibly I was unclear but you will NOT see status related checked baggage benefits in e-tickets and booking confirmations: that is a general position within the aviation industry. It is visible online however, for example in the baggage calculator. Because these are separate tickets you need to check each sector separately, and Oro is the equivalent to Sapphire.

https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/allowance-in-hold
Hi,
you mean this https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/al...aggages-search when writing about the baggage calculator ?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Possibly I was unclear but you will NOT see status related checked baggage benefits in e-tickets and booking confirmations: that is a general position within the aviation industry. It is visible online however, for example in the baggage calculator. Because these are separate tickets you need to check each sector separately, and Oro is the equivalent to Sapphire.

https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/allowance-in-hold
Originally Posted by mosher2k
Hi,
you mean this https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/al...aggages-search when writing about the baggage calculator ?
Both your link and mine seem to go to the same place even though the URLs are slightly different.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:19 am

thx for your help !

perhaps you could also help me to find out how much baggage i will get:
i've made a booking at iberia.com (european oneway connection, 1 segment iberia, 1 segment iberia express, economy basic fare) for 5 passengers (me and 4 others).
i included my FinnairPlus member number (=OneWorld Emerald) while making that booking which allowed me to choose any seat for free for all (!) 5 passengers.

now i want to find out how much free baggage i will get: if i choose "manage your booking" at iberia.com it is shown "5 hand baggage".
if i choose then "customise your flight" => "add an extra bag" i will get "You have: 1 cabin bag, 1 bag 23kg" behind every (!) passenger name.
is this an error ? and if not: does it mean that every passenger in my booking will get the same baggage benefit like me ?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by mosher2k
now i want to find out how much free baggage i will get: if i choose "manage your booking" at iberia.com it is shown "5 hand baggage".
if i choose then "customise your flight" => "add an extra bag" i will get "You have: 1 cabin bag, 1 bag 23kg" behind every (!) passenger name.
is this an error ? and if not: does it mean that every passenger in my booking will get the same baggage benefit like me ?
There is no dispute that you get one checked bag at 23 kgs, or 32 kgs if it's all on IB Group member airlines. I must admit I thought it was just for the cardholder, not for the others in the booking. The seat selection is for all in the booking, so that doesn't surprise me.
mosher2k likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by junoooon
Just want to double check the rules on this. I'm planning on flying Iberia's LEVEL service from JFK-BCN. If I were to book their basic fare would I be entitled to a free checked bag based on my QR Gold (OW Sapphire) status? Thank you!
LEVEL is NOT Oneworld. You must pay for checked baggage either directly or through the fare type.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:43 pm

Basic economy - Alaska MVP Gold (OW Sapphire)

Apologies newbie q but trying to get a clear answer from the thread so far.

I just checked in online a Iberia Express flight this week (EU domestic) and it looks like my boarding pass does NOT show oneworld sapphire (used my Alaska MVP Gold # in booking) and clearly states no baggage in the hold included. It's an economy basic fare

Should I be worried? Or will the checkin gate agent allow for a free checked bag without complications? Should I try checking in again to get OW Sapphire to show up?

And any idea if Oneworld ruby gets extra baggage in the hold? Huge thanks to this community for bringing expertise and experience to the table?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DemTings Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by DemTings
Apologies newbie q but trying to get a clear answer from the thread so far.

I just checked in online a Iberia Express flight this week (EU domestic) and it looks like my boarding pass does NOT show oneworld sapphire (used my Alaska MVP Gold # in booking) and clearly states no baggage in the hold included. It's an economy basic fare

Should I be worried? Or will the checkin gate agent allow for a free checked bag without complications? Should I try checking in again to get OW Sapphire to show up?

And any idea if Oneworld ruby gets extra baggage in the hold? Huge thanks to this community for bringing expertise and experience to the table?
Have a look in the BA forum thread-->Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares
Has graphics of the many combinations possible. It can be/is confusing.
OWR has few benefits.

Getting AS status to show correctly in BA & IB reservations does seem to be an issue for some.
Could try remove your ffn and then adding back again in Finnair AY and/or Royal Jordan RJ manage my booking
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Hi all,

I have a similar question.
MAD-BIO, domestic on Iberia on an optimal economy fare including a bag
BIO-MAD-ORY also on an optimal economy fare including a bag
I was able to select any Y seat.

I assume as a BA Gold/OWE I am getting an additional bag?
Traveling with check-in 2 bags, total weight probably below 32kg.

Globalist
Old May 2, 2022, 8:54 am

Smile Confirmed - OW Sapphire benefits apply on Iberia (Express)

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
DemTings Welcome to FT

Have a look in the BA forum thread-->
Has graphics of the many combinations possible. It can be/is confusing.
OWR has few benefits.

Getting AS status to show correctly in BA & IB reservations does seem to be an issue for some.
Could try remove your ffn and then adding back again in Finnair AY and/or Royal Jordan RJ manage my booking
OK just wanted to share my experience now that travel is complete. As it turns out, it was smooth!
Took some fiddling with. As others have noted, Iberia does not make it easy to get your 6 digit Amadeus code to be able to manage booking via Royal Jordan, BA, etc. So I gave up on that route pretty quick. BUT, removing my AS number from my booking on the Iberia portal and then re-adding it seemed to do the trick. Initial check-in (several days prior to departure) reflected seat selection confirmed (which, btw, at the time of selection showed that I'd be charged... I wasn't and yet my seats near the front of the plane were confirmed).

24 hours prior to departure, I checked in again and boarding pass showed both:
- OW Sapphire status shown
- 1 free bag in the hold (checked back)... keep in mind that I booked basic economy so technically no baggage in the hold in this fare
- Fast Track security access at MAD (perk of OW Sapphire)

Was able to check the back at the airport without hiccup. QR code let me (and a guest) into the Iberia lounge. Seats on the plane were, in fact, mine based on the selections I made several days prior.

TL;DR - Iberia's UX and IT systems still appear to suck, but the magic seems to function fine on the backend. Trust, but verify. Thanks for your help, everyone!
Old May 5, 2022, 4:52 pm

thanks for the update - I will be flying with them in the coming days and have AA Plat / OW Sapphire and was wondering how that would work re:baggage - your update answered that question!
Old May 10, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Just booked LHR-MAD on an IB ticketed, IB-operated basic fare. BA Gold Guest List (OWE).

No baggage allowance is showing up in manage my booking and it's trying to charge me for seat selection, but only on the A319-operated leg. The A350 leg is letting me select a seat for free. Am I doing anything wrong and/or should I try to cancel and start again with baggage included? I don't need any flexibility on the day, and one 23kg bag would be ample for me.

Also, I'm transferring to a reward booking out of MAD (with plenty of time between flights to collect and re-check). Would IB through-check on different tickets/PNRs?
Old May 10, 2022, 2:39 am

If you are entering the IB system at LHR, you can assume that IB will not through check on different PNRs.

There are often reports of seat selection not working, on an inconsistent basis, I don't think we've ever got a landing for this. Elsewhere in the IB forum there are various tricks you can try but there doesn't appear to be one that always works, though calling IB is probably the closest. For the checked bag on the other hand there won't be a problem at LHR, the basic fare versus status issue is well known there.
Cymro likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.