Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Refund" vs "Voucher" Confusion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 9:57 am

*update*

Boston to Madrid was cancelled for July 2.
I have been waiting for this day for 2 months.
Called to ask for a refund... they offered me a voucher which I declined.
Representative said "OK" and processed my full refund.
He said I would be getting an email but nothing yet (it was just 24 hours ago).
He said full refund will be returned to the credit card used to pay for the tickets.
Question to the forum...
For those of you that have requested a refund and received one...
How long does it take?

Thank you kindly.
Travel safe.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by 2yearPlan
*update*

He said full refund will be returned to the credit card used to pay for the tickets.
Question to the forum...
How long does it take?

Thank you kindly.
Travel safe.

It is clear IB is playing games, and hoping the less informed receiving these emails will go through the early cancellation and accept the voucher. Like others here, I'm waiting for my J booking in late August (MAD-BOS) to be changed from the original nonstop to the connections that are the only routings now showing for booking (all via LHR on BA). The flight is blocked out on EF and not showing for booking, though my original routing remains. I expect IB won't do the change until early August, so I'll have to wait longer to get my money back through my TA. Bad show on the part of IB, but I'm playing the same game with LX/LH in August too.

As for how long, anyone's guess though I did cancel a few other flights, so:
1. A BA award flight and the refunded fees appeared in my credit card account within 2-days, miles immediately
2. An SQ revenue booking took about a month to credit back
3. A KLM revenue booking took almost three months to credit back
4. An AF/DL booking is now approaching two months with no refund appearing yet. (They say two cc cycles.)

A lot of money coming at some point, fortunately I can hold up for a while longer.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jun 12, 2020 at 6:15 pm
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by 2yearPlan
*update*

Question to the forum...
How long does it take?

Thank you kindly.
Travel safe.
I got a full refund. I requested it this past June 7th. It took 4 days to hit my credit card. I should note that I did not get any email confirming the cancellation & refund request. I did note that after the request was made I could not find my itinerary on the IB website any longer but was told by the agent that the booking code could always be used in the future to look up the status of the refund by an agent.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:04 am

Got it... $$$

Update:
Full refund was received.

Flight was cancelled 6/8/20... call was made that same day to Iberia for a refund.
Service Rep offered a voucher choice but I declined and requested a full refund. He said that I would be getting an email about the refund but I never did.

Regardless, today (10 days later), I received a full refund. Credit card used for initial purchase was credited back. Still no email received.

Thank you to all who offered their expertise.
Travel safe.
Stay safe.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Got an email from Iberia which included this text:

If, on the other hand, you wished to postpone your trip, please get in touch with your travel agency, where you will be provided with all the relevant information that you may need, in order to request a date change or the refund of your tickets through a voucher, which you must choose by 10 July 2020.

My flight is on September 1, I'm sure it will be canceled (the LAX-MAD nonstop) as they haven't operated the flight in months. I'm not really beholden to some 50 day decision period am I?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by bradfrancini
Got an email from Iberia which included this text:

If, on the other hand, you wished to postpone your trip, please get in touch with your travel agency, where you will be provided with all the relevant information that you may need, in order to request a date change or the refund of your tickets through a voucher, which you must choose by 10 July 2020.

My flight is on September 1, I'm sure it will be canceled (the LAX-MAD nonstop) as they haven't operated the flight in months. I'm not really beholden to some 50 day decision period am I?
I got the same email too. Just wondering what will happen if we don't choose by this date. The flight is not cancelled yet and they can´t just give out voucher without consent
Old Jul 2, 2020, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mylabel
Just wondering what will happen if we don't choose by this date.
It means that if the flight actually operates and you aren't on the plane, then you lose your money because you passed on the chance to request a voucher or a date change...
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I responded to that email and said I wanted a voucher for my September 28 flight and they wrote back and said it didn't qualify because it was after September 1, which wasn't mentioned anywhere in the conditions on the website or the email.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:10 am

Will there be a difference between Iberia and Iberia express in terms of refunds?

Mine were requested on 17 June following a cancellation and still no sign of a refund.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:40 am

Had a flight for back in mid-March, literally 2 days before the 'ban' hit. Lots of confusion, so of course I put in for a voucher via the website - thinking I needed to do something at that point since the flight wasn't officially cancelled yet (and was leaving in 24 hours). Used Avios, so the cash portion is just fees, etc... Waited weeks for confirmation of the voucher and then when I got it I didn't realize that it was only or the cash portion. Had to email to get my Avios back and now I just want that cash part refunded. Any thoughts on if I might be successful? Just depends on the agent I get? My worry is the time passage - but it's because the whole thing was confusing from the beginning.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:39 pm

I had several means of contact before I got the money and Avios credited back. You might try an email to [email protected] with the subject line IB # [your IB Plus number], and a summary of the situation. You may get a quick reply with a case number, then something saying either that you're getting a refund, or instructions to call.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:46 pm

Well I did the email to that address to get the Avios back. That was successful. Then I emailed them back about refunding the fees (to original form of payment). They said 'you were given a voucher, call the 1-800 number for more info'. So that's my next step - just was wondering if there were any magic words to say.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sboggsisu
Well I did the email to that address to get the Avios back. That was successful. Then I emailed them back about refunding the fees (to original form of payment). They said 'you were given a voucher, call the 1-800 number for more info'. So that's my next step - just was wondering if there were any magic words to say.
I'm not at all sure that you can reverse the voucher request. But you would then have to pay the cancellation fee for your award. So $200 as voucher or $160 in cash for example...
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I'm not at all sure that you can reverse the voucher request. But you would then have to pay the cancellation fee for your award. So $200 as voucher or $160 in cash for example...
I believe Iberia Plus has waived all cancellation fees for Avios bookings. Also, non-refundable Avios booking were made refundable.

"For refunds of the Avios and amounts spent on the purchase of reward and Avios&Money tickets to fly by 30 June, we've waived all change and refund fees."
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:14 am

Yeah, I'll try to call them today. I only did the voucher because it was literally less than 24 hours before the flight that this all hit and panicked, thinking I needed to do something. Then it was impossible to get a hold of them on the phone for weeks. Plus, it's not like they aren't going to get my money eventually - I used Avios, I"ll use them again (ok, unless I transfer to BA of course). And the voucher has an exp date of March 2021 which is a bit unrealistic. I have another trip planned for spring break 2021 already (assuming we can travel by then) and anything before that isn't going to happen most likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.