Wiki Posts
Search

"Refund" vs "Voucher" Confusion

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
"Refund" vs "Voucher" Confusion

I just got an email from IB regarding my upcoming reservation in July. It stated in part "... we offer you the possibility of getting a refund of your booking .. through a voucher for the amount of your tickets." (Emphasis is mine)

The route is HNL-LAX-MAD, LIS-MAD-JFK. The first leg is on AA with an AA flight number. The rest are all IB flight numbers and metal. Ticket purchased online at IB's US site paid by cc. I can see in EF that the IB flights are still on the schedule but their inventory is all zeroed out. And although the AA still has the HNL-LAX scheduled with inventory it is not the one flight a day they presently have. Given Hawaii's situation, it will probably be cancelled and my guess is that the IB US flights will as well.

I don't want a voucher if the flights gets cancelled. I want a refund to my original form of payment but the use of "refund" and voucher" in their email would imply they are the same thing rather than two different options as is done by the US carriers. I don't want to click on the link in the email. Any thoughts on how to get an actual refund (assuming flight(s) are cancelled) to my original form of payment as would be my legal option under US regulations? Thank you.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Yes, IB policy can be confusing and obviously they prefer to keep your cash and give you a voucher (previously called a "bonus") which you may or may not use, instead. Suggest you read through the thread below, Iberia Coronavirus Rebooking Policy. At least until recently the only way to get a refund was to call Iberia. Mucha suerte!!
Old May 29, 2020, 11:29 am

I have an ORD-MAD in July with the same situation, EF has no inventory and just waiting for Iberia to cancel the flight for a refund, not a voucher. It is a waiting game at this point, not sure how quickly Iberia is cancelling the flights with 0 inventory.
Old May 29, 2020, 12:10 pm

I've got 2 reward flights in August, Madrid to Lima and return to Madrid from Rio - flights are not operating (not bookable anymore, and zeroed on EF), but no updates in MMB, still show as active. And not quite sure how they gonna refund it, as it's Avios + cash.
Old May 29, 2020, 6:58 pm

POLICY IS VERY CONFUSING.
We plan our trips 2 years ahead in order to save money little by little. Supposed to fly July 2nd Boston-Madrid but Iberia is not talking to us now until their program for refund/voucher is extended past June 30th.
Someone better give me a full refund.
NO WAY I am going to fly with my family (4 total) to a destination where I have to be quarantined and also be quarantined when we return to the US.
The Iberia website was changed overnight. Now I can't find if they remain with the date of June 30th or they have extended it. Amazing how traveler has to do all the work.
We can't travel next year because travel for next year has been already booked since 2019 (two years).
Oh, also I went to doctor with possible pneumonia on Feb. 2020 and have had pneumonia two years in a row (2014-2015)... pre-exisiting condition.
If someone has received a full refund, please let me know that there is some hope.
Also, if someone has a phone number other that the one found online or an email address, it would be appreciated.
Stay safe!!
Old May 30, 2020, 4:25 pm

I'm really confused about the email. We have 4 one way tickets on Iberia from Madrid to Funchal towards the end of July but now you can't even buy the tickets on the date I selected. I will not be taking my trip to Spain because I cancelled my RT tickets to/from Spain on AA. I'd love to get a refund. I'm going to hold out as long as possible to try to get a refund. I don't want the credit. I want the cash!!
Old May 31, 2020, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 2yearPlan
POLICY IS VERY CONFUSING.
We plan our trips 2 years ahead in order to save money little by little. Supposed to fly July 2nd Boston-Madrid but Iberia is not talking to us now until their program for refund/voucher is extended past June 30th.
Someone better give me a full refund.
NO WAY I am going to fly with my family (4 total) to a destination where I have to be quarantined and also be quarantined when we return to the US.
The Iberia website was changed overnight. Now I can't find if they remain with the date of June 30th or they have extended it. Amazing how traveler has to do all the work.
We can't travel next year because travel for next year has been already booked since 2019 (two years).
Oh, also I went to doctor with possible pneumonia on Feb. 2020 and have had pneumonia two years in a row (2014-2015)... pre-exisiting condition.
If someone has received a full refund, please let me know that there is some hope.
Also, if someone has a phone number other that the one found online or an email address, it would be appreciated.
Stay safe!!
Unfortunately it is completely impossible to book flights more than a year in advance, due to how airline IT systems work. So if you are going to attempt to use that as an excuse with any airline, you won't get very far.

Any pre-existing conditions are a problem for you and your travel insurer, not the airline. And for what it's worth, the fact that you may or may not be allowed into a country is also down to you and your insurer to deal with.

It's very simple. If the flight is cancelled you are entitled to a refund. If it operates and you aren't on the plane, you will get a voucher at best.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:17 pm

We are booked from ORD-MAD-ROM in July. The flights no longer show up as available. I'd like a refund too so I'm waiting them out and hoping to get cancelled.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:44 am

Thanks... UPDATE...

Thanks craigthemif...

It seems that you are a frequent flyer and know your airline stuff.
I wanted to give you an update to see if you think this may be grounds for a full refund.
Initial plan was to fly from:
Boston to Madrid (July 2) IBERIA
Madrid to Rome (July 9) Separate Ticket with AlItalia
Rome to Madrid (layover) to Boston - change planes in Madrid (July 18) all flights with IBERIA
Iberia flights booked directly through their website.

This morning, we received an email letting u know that our flight from Rome to Madrid on July 18th was cancelled.
Since this flight is part of our return, what is your opinion on getting a full refund now with this new circumstance?

Last edited by 2yearPlan; Jun 9, 2020 at 8:11 am
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:45 am

Thanks craigthemif...

It seems that you are a frequent flyer and know your airline stuff.
I wanted to give you an update to see if you think this may be grounds for a full refund.
Initial plan was to fly from:
Rome to Madrid (layover) to Boston - change planes in Madrid (July 18) all flights with IBERIA
Iberia flights booked directly through their website.

This morning, we received an email letting u know that our flight from Rome to Madrid on July 18th was cancelled.
Since this flight is part of our return, what is your opinion on getting a full refund now with this new circumstance?

Last edited by 2yearPlan; Jun 9, 2020 at 8:10 am
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You have an option for a full refund, you will need to call if you want a refund and not a voucher.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
You have an option for a full refund, you will need to call if you want a refund and not a voucher.
According to my partner's boss, even when you have the right to a refund, IB will still try very hard to convince you that your only option is a voucher.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by craigthemif
According to my partner's boss, even when you have the right to a refund, IB will still try very hard to convince you that your only option is a voucher.
I think the voracity of IB trying to convince you to take the credit is dependent on the agent you talk to. I just had a two flights cancelled within the same reservation and called the US # and asked for a refund back to my original form of payment. The agent looked up my reservation and just said "you know you can get a voucher". I politely said "no thanks" and then he processed the refund request without mentioning the voucher again. Said I should get the refund on my cc in "a few weeks". We'll see. YMMV.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:48 pm

called IB to request a refund... here's the amazing story they tell me...

The LAST flight from ROME to MADRID was cancelled.
When I spoke with someone tonight, they said they can only refund me for the part that was cancelled.
Huh?

So, IBERIA is treating it as three flights
instead of two... even though the last leg back to Boston starts in Rome.
It's not like I'm stopping in Madrid for 5 days to party!! We fly from Rome to Madrid, then to Boston.

So... let me get this straight... if the flight from Boston to Madrid gets cancelled, I can get a refund for that part but not from Madrid back to Boston even though I'm NOT EVEN THERE to catch the plane?

That refund policy is insane in so many ways.
IB rep then told me to wait one week until the other legs are cancelled to get a full refund.
I'm going to give them 10 days.

Last edited by 2yearPlan; Jun 9, 2020 at 8:12 am
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Just call back again... and hang up if they're not playing ball. No point arguing for hours, you won't get anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.