Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at MAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by GFrye
So they paid $20 extra to get an empty middle seat and free drinks, but they don't get lounge access at MAD, they have to go through a long transfer between terminals, and if an IB flight delay causes them to miss the AZ flight, they'll have to buy a new ticket. Not exactly a great deal...
They do get lounge access with their AZ J ticket and a meal onboard (still a pretty bad plan, though).
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Originally Posted by tobsw
That was not a wise decission TBH. IB flies up to 5 daily flights between both cities. AZ only 3 daily flights.

Regardless, it can be a tight connection.

You will land in MAD T4S. After disembarking, you will have to clear immigration. Ok'ish with an EU Passport... it'll take longer if you have a non-EU passport. Then you need to take the transit train to the main T4 terminal. There you'll collect your luggage. This whole process will take at least 50 min to 1 h, at best! Problem is it's early in MAD,,, many intercontinental flights arrive at this time, so I'd say it will take you some extra time, perhaps 1 h 30 min.

After you collect your luggege... you will have to change terminals. And this, if you don't know MAD airport, will take some time. You need to look for the terminal connection shuttle bus. If you are lucky the bus arrives 3 min after you get to the stop... but it can take way way longer.

As long as your family member know roughly how the process works, especially travelling between terminals, then it should be ok (check from which floor the terminal shuttle bus departs from at T4). You could also take the Metro/Subway, to travel between terminals, but this is not free.

Once you get to the Alitalia check-in terminal, it should be fine The good thing is Alitalia check-in limit is 40' before departure.
So just to report back...my family members made it from the plane door to Alitalia check-in in 55 minutes. They walk FAST and were basically one of the first off the plane. The flight from ORD landed 20 minutes early and passport check was maybe 10 minutes. Their luggage also was pretty much first off. They said they caught the bus to T2 right as it was about to pull away so zero wait there.

They said they hit everything perfectly so that helped. They said if someone was slow and just missed the bus they could see where it could take a lot longer.
GFrye likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I have another transfer connection for MAD.
We are traveling Iberia ORD-MAD arriving 7:45am, economy tickets. Plan is to take TAP Airlines MAD-OPO at 10:40am, they are in T2, is 2hr 55 minutes doable for this? Only carry-on luggage. I see that transfer T4S to T4 is rather quick via train, and T4 to T2 is about 10 minutes. These are separate tickets, would I be able to check in at T2 to get our boarding pass? This is our first transfer on MAD on separate tickets with mixed alliances, and I'm trying to gauge the risk factor. There is an Iberia flight, but leaves one hour latter and is $200 more per person (4 of us). Am I safe with the TAP air ticket, or should I go with IB?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
It's possible without checked luggage and assuming all is on time, but especially with 4 people you really need to keep them moving. "Oh I'll just be 30 seconds in the bathroom" which quickly turns into 5 minutes type thing.

It's definitely NOT 10 minutes for the transfer.

Maybe from the second the bus door closes to getting let off but even that seems massively optimistic.

If there's a big line for immigration, the whole thing will become a lot more complicated.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by arollins
We are traveling Iberia ORD-MAD arriving 7:45am, economy tickets. Plan is to take TAP Airlines MAD-OPO at 10:40am, they are in T2, is 2hr 55 minutes doable for this?
Personally this is not a connection I would feel comfortable with. If it was all on 1 ticket then OK, but otherwise not.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't risk a terminal change.

Have you tried to use Avios for "full fare economy" on the MAD-OPO with IB? Should be more award space and even buying Avios would come out less than $200 per head.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Thanks for the suggestions. I opted with the avios option.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
First time connecting in MAD. My wife and I, JFK-MAD on DL126 in D1 (J) (764) connecting to IB3950 (A320) MAD-SVQ with 2:35 connection time. Non EU passports, carry-ons which are too large for EU but we have a suitcase each included in the fare. I'll check with DL when we check-in but I doubt that we'll be able to check the bags through to SVQ. We have separate tickets for DL and IB.

Do we have enough time to connect? (The inbound DL126 is consistently early and has only been late once in the past month.) We walk slowly but won't need to stop for restrooms or other places. What is the quickest transfer route?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
First time connecting in MAD. My wife and I, JFK-MAD on DL126 in D1 (J) (764) connecting to IB3950 (A320) MAD-SVQ with 2:35 connection time. Non EU passports, carry-ons which are too large for EU but we have a suitcase each included in the fare. I'll check with DL when we check-in but I doubt that we'll be able to check the bags through to SVQ. We have separate tickets for DL and IB.

Do we have enough time to connect? (The inbound DL126 is consistently early and has only been late once in the past month.) We walk slowly but won't need to stop for restrooms or other places. What is the quickest transfer route?
You do not have a connection with separate tickets and your luggage won't be checked through.

You will need to pass through passport control - queues can be long for non Europeans - wait for your bags (notoriously slow at MAD with priority baggage tags often ignored), exit T1, take a free bus to T4 (15-20 minutes minimum) and check-in before IB's deadline (roughly 1 hour). As long as you have a Plan B for the short haul flight you can try it. I'd give you a 1/3 chance of making it.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:55 am

No, not at all.

With an EU passport, and normal carry-ons, and walking at a normal-speedy place is doable. But non-EU passports are a big problem (large queue in the Schengen Border), and Madrid is a huge airport, you will need to walk a lot.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Thanks for the information. I'll find out about changing our IB flight.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:04 am

Thanks for the information. I'll find out about changing our IB flight.
Flying MAD-SVQ with Air Europa would make things easier, because you would not have to go to T4, which is a long way from T1-T2-T3.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Flying MAD-SVQ with Air Europa would make things easier, because you would not have to go to T4, which is a long way from T1-T2-T3.
If I had known before I booked, I'd have done that. They do have a flight a couple of hours later which will be my fallback.
Yllanes likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:49 pm

I checked into AirEuropa and it appears that they use T2.

Our bags are carry on from JFK-MAD so we don't have to wait for baggage. The bags are but too large for EU carry ons and will be checked, either at the check-in desk or the gate. I realize that we can exit, check our bags at AirEuropa, and reclear security. Is there a transit area airside from T1 to T2 where we don't have to go back through security?

We'd just as soon spend a couple of hours at a lounge to relax and take a shower.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:35 pm

There is no way to connect in MAD arriving from the US and not have to reclear security, no matter the airline or whether you have to check bags. This should not take too much time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.