FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Transit at MAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1975124-transit-mad.html)

kgkg Jun 22, 2019 11:04 am

Transit at MAD

My family and I are booked on JFK-MAD-SVQ on two separate tickets. Both are on IB. The connection time is 6 hours at MAD. I have two questions.

For my family who do not have checkin luggages, can they get a boarding pass for SVQ at a transit desk at Terminal 4S?

I have checked in luggages, do I need to get the luggages and exit Terminal 4S, take the train and re-check in at Terminal 4? Can I check in the luggages at the transit desk instead?

Since we have a long layover, can we use the Plaza Mayor at Terminal 4? We all have Priority Pass.

Thank you!

schrodingerdog Jun 22, 2019 11:53 am

Originally Posted by kgkg (Post 31228832)
My family and I are booked on JFK-MAD-SVQ on two separate tickets. Both are on IB. The connection time is 6 hours at MAD. I have two questions.

For my family who do not have checkin luggages, can they get a boarding pass for SVQ at a transit desk at Terminal 4S?

I have checked in luggages, do I need to get the luggages and exit Terminal 4S, take the train and re-check in at Terminal 4? Can I check in the luggages at the transit desk instead?

Since we have a long layover, can we use the Plaza Mayor at Terminal 4? We all have Priority Pass.

Thank you!

Yes, you can get boarding passes from the transit desk at T4S.

No, you can not check luggages in the transit desk. You have to follow the arrivals route (T4S -> Schengen Border -> T4 -> lugggage reclaim), go upstairs, recheck your luggage in the IB facilities and clear security into T4.

You can use the Plaza Mayor lounge, but there may be capacity constraints, and in theory you can only enter 4h before your flight.

C17PSGR Jun 23, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm traveling IB US to MAD in J on an IB award ticket and then on a MAD - PMI connection on an IB Express revenue ticket (which I need to book).

Not sure if I'll check bags but .... if I do, IB won't check them through, right?

And, if I don't check bags, how long does it normally take to get the IB gates used for US flights in T4S, through immigration/customs and then to T4?

Thanks!

BA6501 Jun 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Correct, they won't check through. If you don't check bags, you'll need about 30 minutes to get from the inbound aircraft to the departure gate.

C17PSGR Jun 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 31231783)
Correct, they won't check through. If you don't check bags, you'll need about 30 minutes to get from the inbound aircraft to the departure gate.

Thanks!

Didn't realize immigration was that quick although on my last trip through MAD, I recall a much longer process going through leaving MAD for the US and clearing exit immigration (emigration :))

beachfan Jun 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 31231783)

That's slightly optimistic in my experience as someone who walks steadily but not briskly. Depends on the length of the immigration line (took me 15 minutes relatively early on a Saturday in May, line was not as long as some other times) and how far your gate is in T4 (could be a 15 minute walk). Train is usually quick, but not instantaneous.

Perhaps not being an EU passport holder caused me to be slower.

BA6501 Jun 23, 2019 5:04 pm

That must be it! Never waited more than a couple minutes at passport control - and 90% of the time I'm through without breaking stride.

Stewie Mac Jun 25, 2019 5:06 am

T4 non-schengen to T4S non-schengen

I feel stupid because I'm sure that I've seen this talked about but can't find it even with a search...

I have a T4-T4S connection tomorrow, coming in from LHR so non-Schengen and departing non-Schengen. With more time, I'd just immigrate/take the people mover, but I'd like to grab a quick shower in the lounge and have only 65 minutes, and I know how *big* the terminals are.

Is there a direct bus transfer at the jetway from the T4 gate across to T4S? Or some other non-Schengen transit? I've seen some notes about T4S having 'ghost' gates for T4 departures, but not the other way around (and that wouldn't really help me as I couldn't access the T4 lounge ....)

Thanks

tobsw Jun 25, 2019 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 31237256)
I feel stupid because I'm sure that I've seen this talked about but can't find it even with a search...

I have a T4-T4S connection tomorrow, coming in from LHR so non-Schengen and departing non-Schengen. With more time, I'd just immigrate/take the people mover, but I'd like to grab a quick shower in the lounge and have only 65 minutes, and I know how *big* the terminals are.

Is there a direct bus transfer at the jetway from the T4 gate across to T4S? Or some other non-Schengen transit? I've seen some notes about T4S having 'ghost' gates for T4 departures, but not the other way around (and that wouldn't really help me as I couldn't access the T4 lounge ....)

Thanks

The important thing is who you are flying with:
-British Airways: arrive T4S. So you just need to clear security and can head straight to the Velazquez lounge.
-Iberia: only 330/340/350 operated flights arrive in T4S. All other IB operated flights arrive at T4: on end of the terminal has been set-up for IB and IB Express non-schengen flights operated by 319/320/321. If you have a T4S departure, usually a bus will transfer you to T4S - but it's not quick. However, it may be quicker to clear immigration, take the people mover to T4S, exit immigration and off to the lounge.

In summary, if you arrive at T4S you may have a change to have a shower in Velazquez. BUT if you arrive in T4, I doubt there's enough time to go to the lounge AND have a shower, unless your departure is delayed. Remember IB boarding closes 20 min prior to departure.

BA6501 Jun 25, 2019 7:41 am

Yes, there is a bus from the gate (walk up the jetbridge halfway where you'll see an IB agent saying tránsito/América/Asia etc). Bypasses immigration entirely.

Stewie Mac Jun 25, 2019 4:15 pm

thanks guys - it's an IB flight from LHR, so T4 - I'll keep an eye out for the agent

tmac100 Jun 29, 2019 11:13 am

Unfamiliar with MAD T4, but need info...
on July 19th I fly OPO - MAD - LHR -YYZ, first 2 sectors with IB, last with BA. All sectors "Business class" bags checked through from OPO to YYZ
The IB flights are as follows:
IB 3091 OPO - MAD into T4
IB 3076 MAD - LHR leaving from T4

In reading the above comments re: T4 and T4S, are my flights both entering and leaving an "actual" T4 (of which I know nothing about) or is one flight into T4S and out of same, or out of T4?

Confused. The MMB on the IB website gave no info yesterday when I looked - it only showed the Spanish name of the MAD airport, followed by (4). TIA for any info.

tobsw Jun 29, 2019 12:03 pm

As an easy explanation:

T4: Shenghen flights.
T4S: non-Shenghen filghts.

But all IB flight to London operated with a narrowbody aircraft (e.g. 319, 320, 321) depart from T4. There are some gates in the T4 terminal that have non-Shenghen status.

If everything goes to plan, you will arrive in T4, disembark, check the screens and without changing terminals, go to the gate in the same terminal. It's very easy to navigate, The terminal is like a large corridor and on either side there are gates. There are also travelators so you move faster.

However, you may land in T4S - in that case you will have to follow directions for T4. You'll have to take a shuttle-train.

tmac100 Jun 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Thank you tobsw ^

C17PSGR Jun 30, 2019 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog (Post 31228947)
Yes, you can get boarding passes from the transit desk at T4S.

No, you can not check luggages in the transit desk. You have to follow the arrivals route (T4S -> Schengen Border -> T4 -> lugggage reclaim), go upstairs, recheck your luggage in the IB facilities and clear security into T4.

You can use the Plaza Mayor lounge, but there may be capacity constraints, and in theory you can only enter 4h before your flight.

Looks like we might check a bag with two separate PNR's ... on US to MAD on Iberia, and the second MAD to PMI on Iberia/Iberia express

So, we'll need to reclaim, the go upstairs as it sounds like transit won't check it.

If we land at 2 from the US, is a 345 flight realistic? Not sure how long Iberia takes with baggage to get it to the reclaim. We'lll be in biz from the US and suspect Iberia has check-in for OWEs.